Heaton Lodge Junction

Whilst I love constructing scenery, wiring is not the way I’d spend my finest hour..

So far I’m on my 51st Cobalt point motor for the fiddle yards. These are all being connected to their own power bus which in turn is fed from a DCC concepts alpha power box. There’s 4 fiddle yards so a bus/power supply for each. Reason for this is to narrow down any shorts & reduce draw on the track bus..

As I said recently, the fiddle yards are fortunately near to finishing now with just no4 to complete. Then I can get back to the scenic side yippee! 

However, I do like the look of the massive fiddle yards (especially now I’m painting them), the third phase of Heaton Lodge will be to ballast all the track, add a backscene and construct the usual trackside paraphernalia seen in a marshalling yard.

So to recap : Phase 1 is HLJ itself, Phase 2 in 2020/21 will be Healey Mills  and Phase 3 the marshalling yard.

5FA30E4D-286B-4524-9201-EFC6080D3EF5.png

002D5837-4502-4AF0-9B16-84495797B7B6.png

• Like 19

On another note I’ve picked up the first of the 10ft radius curves (which will be covered) and are located at the east end of the scenic break. 

These take the 4 tracks around 90deg before they appear from underneath a (fictitious) Bridge and enter into a 30ft radius curve which will then lead into Healey Mills.

This curve will be super elevated and almost 40ft long. Whilst Heaton Lodge is (hopefully) pretty accurate this part will just give a ‘feel’ of the local area..

• Like 5

23 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Whilst I love constructing scenery, wiring is not the way I’d spend my finest hour..

So far I’m on my 51st Cobalt point motor for the fiddle yards. These are all being connected to their own power bus which in turn is fed from a DCC concepts alpha power box. There’s 4 fiddle yards so a bus/power supply for each. Reason for this is to narrow down any shorts & reduce draw on the track bus..

As I said recently, the fiddle yards are fortunately near to finishing now with just no4 to complete. Then I can get back to the scenic side yippee! 

However, I do like the look of the massive fiddle yards (especially now I’m painting them), the third phase of Heaton Lodge will be to ballast all the track, add a backscene and construct the usual trackside paraphernalia seen in a marshalling yard.

So to recap : Phase 1 is HLJ itself, Phase 2 in 2020/21 will be Healey Mills  and Phase 3 the marshalling yard.

5FA30E4D-286B-4524-9201-EFC6080D3EF5.png

002D5837-4502-4AF0-9B16-84495797B7B6.png

HOW BIG!! wow

1st Class Modelling, and keep up the fantastic work.

Regards Jeff

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally work on the fiddle yards is drawing to a close. Just 15 cobalt point  motors remaining to fit, track dirt to spray and job done. Should have it completed by tomorrow night.

I’d factored in 6 months to get the fiddle yards constructed start to finish but done it in a tad under 5, so still on schedule.

The 3 kick back siding in the foreground will eventually form part of phase 3..ie landscaping/detailing of the fiddle yards themselves.

Since this part of the model will be fictitious obviously, I’m thinking a working MGR coal loading facility here would be great fun. Or maybe an oil terminal? Any other suggestions??

It won’t please the rivet counters but I think the great British public would give it a thumbs up.

Next week & all you see in the photos here will move 30/35ft backwards to provide room for Healey Mills (Phase 2), then back to work on Heaton Lodge (Phase 1) next week and scenic work aplenty at last! :) 

58E84755-2809-47DC-9084-4E5265B7432E.png

D17200F3-7233-4189-866E-F185CC76EE70.png

• Like 13

A reminder of the overall track plan..

What has changed from this diagram is the last 90deg of the curves on the left are now 30ft radius and lead into Healey Mills which is approx 50ft ft long now before the 120ft long fiddle yards.

The Huddersfield line curves (two thirds of the way down the model) are also stretched to between 25ft & 30 ft radius.

This has the effect of widening the space required for the whole model. This idea originally came about in order to clear the iron columns you see in the pics.

F2026CA3-4EC0-4AB4-B719-07FDB557AF86.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

You’re right there must have been an easier way.

When it’s finished I shall sit next to the junction with a pint and just watch trains go by every day :)

Can I sit at the next signal box / junction with a pint please ?:drinks:

Jim

Edited by jcarta
  • Like 1

What about an Heaton Lodge webcam so can all sit and train watch with a beer? Sitting here now thinking of just the trains I drove over the route makes my mind boggle. The sheer amount of passenger stock alone is enormous, it will be nice to have a little glimps back probably the most interesting part of my career. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Isn't it a pity, that just when the layout is nearly ready, Network Rail publish plans to re odel the junction with a nes pair of fast lines in a new cutting...........

Plus overhead.

Hat and coat on and on my way.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, w124bob said:

What about an Heaton Lodge webcam so can all sit and train watch with a beer? Sitting here now thinking of just the trains I drove over the route makes my mind boggle. The sheer amount of passenger stock alone is enormous, it will be nice to have a little glimps back probably the most interesting part of my career. 

It’s all on the cards Bob..

when the ‘golden spike’ has been made and trains can run continuously I’ll be doing all that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Isn't it a pity, that just when the layout is nearly ready, Network Rail publish plans to re odel the junction with a nes pair of fast lines in a new cutting...........

Plus overhead.

Hat and coat on and on my way.

Jamie

Yes it’s a bit sad. I was there yesterday in fact and NR were there cutting down more foliage. 

That said it’s finest period was 1900-1963 in my opinion. With 4 tracks meeting from 3 directions on flat crossing it was an impressive site. 

Couple of pics and a track plan from that time..the photo is looking west towards Hebden Bridge/Lancashire and shot from the signal box veranda.

I seriously considered modelling it in that era but in the end this was about bringing back to life what I remembered as a 12 year old..

EF07211B-568C-4BF3-BDFF-F9EC16CE2B6E.png

BDA11264-7856-48E9-BC89-1BF7F3EC6685.png

• Like 12

From old photos and maps, I knew there were some sidings between the LNWR Huddersfield-Leeds line and the Leeds 'new' Line, as well as a few nearer to the houses at Heaton Lodge itself, but on all the photos I've ever seen - they were empty. Anyone know what their purpose was? I do know that roughly where the arrow-head on the above map is on the RH side after the word 'Leeds' - there was a very small drift mine (actually a bit nearer the (blue) running lines. Might have been something to do with that perhaps?