Mercian Bishop's Castle 'Carlisle' - Kitson 0-6-0

Just to keep this topic clear for those who are attempting to build the Mercian kit, I will keep track of any progress with developing my own over in my own small supplier's thread - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106745-coast-line-models-bits-and-pieces-covering-mostly-cambrian-areas-in-4mm/?p=2486323

• 1 year later...

post-14989-0-03703800-1521842945_thumb.jpgpost-14989-0-42213000-1521842963_thumb.jpgI've found my plans that i drew up for Carlisle many years back and were passed to Trevor who had them redrawn in CAD,  See attached plus my comments on the test etch, some of which were rectified in the issued kits.

post-14989-0-28439500-1521843014_thumb.jpg

post-14989-0-11547000-1521843034_thumb.jpg

post-14989-0-54158800-1521843048_thumb.jpg

post-14989-0-76843400-1521843063_thumb.jpg

post-14989-0-33624700-1521843082_thumb.jpg

post-14989-0-16247200-1521843105_thumb.jpg

post-14989-0-35547500-1521843123_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi.

I bought the SG20 Bishops Castle 0-6-0 Carlisle engine some time ago. Opened it, gasped and put it to one side.

Can anyone please supply me with a copy of the assembly instructions as mine appear to have gone walkies.

Thanks in advance.

Petros

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

missed out on the Mercian Kit, if anyone has one spare, or another kit in process then id put my name down. Incidentally our house appears above Carlisle's chimneyin the one photo taken here in Bc. Currently bashing an old Mc Gowan 517 into No 1 . There is a bit of work involved to backdate Fair Rosamund to No 1.

So there is, hadn't noticed that. I do wonder why the 6 wheel tender was chosen, Carlisle was originally fitted with 4 wheel and a kit with that tender could represent the mid Wales locos too. I also wonder where Carlisle got the 6 wheel tender from in the first place, it's not like the BCR was swimming with locos that could have donated it! 

Carlisle gained its 6 wheel GWR tender during its 1924 overhaul at Wolverhanpton works. its was swapped for better ex Gw tender

Carlisle gained its 6 wheel GWR tender during its 1924 overhaul at Wolverhanpton works. its was swapped for better ex Gw tender

When Carlisle was fitted with vacuum brakes at Wolverhampton the old four wheel tender was in such poor condition that they suggested that one of the Beyer Goods locos they were scrapping had a far better tender and the BCR bought it off the GWR.  It must be remembered that the railway had done well in the war and had some funds but there was a backlog of maintenance which was never caught up with and traffic fell away in the next ten years to about 20% of the 1923 figure, causing the final closure.

I did suggest to Trevor when he was thinking of producing the kit that he did both tenders and that if he put the tenders on a separate etch he could sell a few separately but he suddenly decided to do it in a rush - didn't take much note of our correspondence or my comments on his CAD drawing - and sent me an unmade kit and asked if I'd build it in 10 days, unfortunately when I was also busy at work.  I did manage to throw it together though unsurprisingly Trevor was not overly impressed with my workmanship and it was just an unmotorised shell.  I've never actually completed it as I'm not very happy with it but I can't see me building another.   

missed out on the Mercian Kit, if anyone has one spare, or another kit in process then id put my name down. Incidentally our house appears above Carlisle's chimneyin the one photo taken here in Bc. Currently bashing an old Mc Gowan 517 into No 1 . There is a bit of work involved to backdate Fair Rosamund to No 1.

I do have an unbuilt kit as does a pal.  I think one of us would part with theirs.  I still would like to build a decent version so I'll contact him and see if he wants to part with his first before i let mine go. 

in the notes there is a reference to the Midland Red running to Bishops Castle, which isn't quite true as the Midland only ran as far as Plox Green which is just south  of Minsterley. The Bishops Castle section was run by RW Carpenter from the Castle. I believe he may have taken on the BCR bus but need to clarify that. This is being typed in Mr Carpenters old kitchen!

in the notes there is a reference to the Midland Red running to Bishops Castle, which isn't quite true as the Midland only ran as far as Plox Green which is just south  of Minsterley. The Bishops Castle section was run by RW Carpenter from the Castle. I believe he may have taken on the BCR bus but need to clarify that. This is being typed in Mr Carpenters old kitchen!

Interesting!  The late Ken Lucas told me that one of the final straws that finished off the BCR was the tarmacing of the road to Shrewsbury and the beginning of a regular bus service there.  I recall, perhaps wrongly, he said it was run by the Midland Red, but perhaps I only remember half the story!

Mercian Models were at the Warley Exhibition last month and had the Carlisle kit on the stand.

Mercian Models were at the Warley Exhibition last month and had the Carlisle kit on the stand.

That would seem the best idea then - contact Mercian but if you have no luck get in touch again.  My pal has started to build the four wheel tender for Carlisle and hopes to have it complete next year!

regards,

Albyn 

• 2 months later...
On 09/05/2016 at 18:34, mike morley said:

It gained the 6-wheeler on a trip to Swindon in 1924 when being fitted with a vacuum brake on the orders of the BoT.  It was this one that was originally made by Beyer Peacock who, I vaguely recall, built a lot  of the GWR's Armstrong Goods that were all close to or at the ends of their lives in that period.

I wonder if it was a case of Swindon contacting Bishops Castle with a message along the lines of "That Kitson 4-wheeled tender is in extremely poor condition.  We've got a bigger Beyer Peacock tender that's surplus to requirements.  Want it?"

A recent article in the BCR Society Journal reported that the researcher had found a GWR bill in the records for the Beyer tender.  The BCR had actually bought the Beyer tender from the GWR - and paid over £100 for it which seems rather steep!

• Informative/Useful 1