Identychip.

LNERGE

I bought a Hornby Railroad Tornado secondhand last week. I asked if the model was DCC ready and the shop assistant said yes. Knowing i had a spare decoder at home all i had to do was get it apart. A quick trawl of the net soon pointed me in the right direction. Next to find the spare decoder. That was more of a challenge but eventually it was located. I settd down to fit the chip and upon entry into the model if found this..

post-4034-0-99317800-1463560925_thumb.jpg

The model was beyond DCC ready.

My questions are who made this chip, what are the two spare solder tabs for and where would i find instructions if the manufacturer can be identified?

Download the demo version of Hornby Railmaster, stick your loco complete with unsub decoder on the programming track and ask it to read all CVs.

If its in Hornby's RM database it will bring up the manufacturer code and name and ID the decoder for you.

Else use JMRI Decoder-Pro to do the same thing.

Edited by RAFHAAA96

Looks like a Bachmann 36-553 to me.

I´m not sure if that was the re-badged Lenz basic from about 10 years ago? Others will know for sure.

Earlier Bachmann branded decoders were re-badged older generation Lenz models, but the discontinued 36-553 & 554 were re-badged versions of the ESU LokPilot Basic V1.0; which was also discontinued about 2 years ago.

That decoder did employ older motor drive technology, unlike its replacement, the Lokpilot Standard, which is very much up-to-date.

As far as I can tell no-one has answered the solder pads question. My offering would be for a Stay Alive capacitor, possilby.

HTH

Rob

Stay alive is what i'm hoping for.

Stay-Alive is very much from the recent past, this decoder looks older and therefore I'd suggest extra function outputs :yes:

But we know more once the OP has the opportunity to either read CV7+8, or asked the retailer for more info ^_^

The retailer didn't know it was in there i'm sure. It was sold as DCC ready.

I bought a Hornby Railroad Tornado secondhand last week. I asked if the model was DCC ready and the shop assistant said yes. Knowing i had a spare decoder at home all i had to do was get it apart. A quick trawl of the net soon pointed me in the right direction. Next to find the spare decoder. That was more of a challenge but eventually it was located. I settd down to fit the chip and upon entry into the model if found this..

attachicon.gifDSC00880.JPG

The model was beyond DCC ready.

My questions are who made this chip, what are the two spare solder tabs for and where would i find instructions if the manufacturer can be identified?

Originally an early 8 pin ESU Lokpilot  - re-badged/fitted by Bachmann as a 36-553 

• 2 years later...

I have had Loksound V3.5 that look like this. If the speaker is 100 ohm that makes it definite as that is the only brand to do so.

I have found google image search useful in the past for resoldering wires to chips once they are identified, more so than the generic wiring diagram.

Matthew