ESU Loksound 4.0 function variables

skip37216

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, AMJ said:

Some time ago I modified the Bachmann 47 so that the tail lights are on Aux 1 & 2 

Having fitted a ESU Loksound 4 into it a few years ago I never got around to sorting out the tail lights.  I decided to revisit it the other day as one of the lock down projects.

I have made the control for this simple to use. 

My logic settings are

F4 off tail lights off

F1 off (prime mover off) F4 on turns on markers at both ends 

F1 on (prime more on), F4 on turns on marker at rear of loco.

This was a serious tweak of 9 CV's.

Fun isn't it?

I modify all my locos (as and when time permits) to have independent lights. My usual is

• F0 - light loco lights (head and tail lights),
  • F19 - cab lights,
  • F20 - train mode (no tail lights),
  • F21 - parking mode (tails both ends) and
  • F22 - yard mode (no headlight).

Latest project was fitting lights (including cab lights) and sound to a Modelzone 45048  - completed yesterday. I always replace 8pin sockets with 21pin versions.

Roy

With mine I can run loco if it was a 47/7 with just tail light on if it was pushing.  As above and in my vid F4 gives me all of the desired tail light modes now.  All off, all on, rear on 

• 4 weeks later...

I am in the process of improving my Heljan 58,  I was hoping I could use just F11 to have overall control of the rear lights so when running light the relevant rear light would iluminate but when hauling train the rear goes out with just F11 operated.

I ahve so far got Aux1 and Aux 2 running off F11 and F12 for the 2 rears but when I start running logic into it I and up with a variety of lighting including all on or all off.

Can anyone  give me some suggestions?

I am using my sprog  and JMRI, the chip is an 8 pin V4 Loksound aux 2 is permanantly wired to one red.

Ian

26 minutes ago, nimbamoss said:

I am in the process of improving my Heljan 58,  I was hoping I could use just F11 to have overall control of the rear lights so when running light the relevant rear light would iluminate but when hauling train the rear goes out with just F11 operated.

I ahve so far got Aux1 and Aux 2 running off F11 and F12 for the 2 rears but when I start running logic into it I and up with a variety of lighting including all on or all off.

Can anyone  give me some suggestions?

I am using my sprog  and JMRI, the chip is an 8 pin V4 Loksound aux 2 is permanantly wired to one red.

Ian

1 - if you haven't downloaded the most up to date JMRI version, then do so now.  The ESU files are subject to continuous change at the moment. 

2 - you must read in the full function map for the ESU decoder.  This will take ages - don't be surprised at over half an hour.  This only has to be done once, because all subsequent changes are known.    Once you have an accurate function map from the decoder, then changes are possible.  Without it, you're flying blind with any of 640 CVs for function mapping....  

If I understand your posting correctly, you have Aux1 to one rear light, and Aux2 to the other rear light  (that's good).    To use F11 as a "rear lights key", you'll need to use two mapping lines ("mapping lines" correspond to a row in the function mapping display).  The first line controls Aux1, with the F11 key, in one direction of travel (eg. forward).  The second line controls Aux2, with the F11 key, in the other direction of travel (eg. reverse).  

( It is possible to get much more clever, with the F0 key as a global "lights on / lights off", and the F11 key to control if the rear comes on or not.   But get there one step at a time ). 

3 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

1 - if you haven't downloaded the most up to date JMRI version, then do so now.  The ESU files are subject to continuous change at the moment. 

2 - you must read in the full function map for the ESU decoder.  This will take ages - don't be surprised at over half an hour.  This only has to be done once, because all subsequent changes are known.    Once you have an accurate function map from the decoder, then changes are possible.  Without it, you're flying blind with any of 640 CVs for function mapping....  

If I understand your posting correctly, you have Aux1 to one rear light, and Aux2 to the other rear light  (that's good).    To use F11 as a "rear lights key", you'll need to use two mapping lines ("mapping lines" correspond to a row in the function mapping display).  The first line controls Aux1, with the F11 key, in one direction of travel (eg. forward).  The second line controls Aux2, with the F11 key, in the other direction of travel (eg. reverse).  

( It is possible to get much more clever, with the F0 key as a global "lights on / lights off", and the F11 key to control if the rear comes on or not.   But get there one step at a time ). 

Hi Nigel,

I will let you know how I progress as I get throug, currently upgrading to 4.21

Ian

1 hour ago, nimbamoss said:

Hi,

I've done some thinking and testing and the cap below appear to work, Nigel, can you critique please?

Ian

(not sure why the image appeared three times).   

If its working, then its working !   So, job done.  

It looks like the way I'd have approached it.   I can see you've added F0 as a master light switch to the two rows, alongside F11.  

For anyone else reading the images, row 17 means:  (LocoForwards AND F0 AND F11) then turn on Aux2[1].   The suffix [1] means the first of the two different dimming/effect values possible for output wire "Aux2".    Row 18 reads in a similar way. 

- Nigel

• Thanks 1