Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Hi John, You ought to be able paint out the offending purlin as an alternative to cropping if you want.

Thanks Phil.  Yes, I intend to have a look at that and all the other things that AP might do in due course.  But one step at a time!  I'm afraid that my aspirations to improve my photography keep getting sidelined by working on the layout or pursuing other interests.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, CCGWR said:

I notice the signal in the first photo is lit. Remind me, are they working Dapol signals, with a few modifications?

Thanks Connor.  Indeed they are modified Dapol offerings.  Using the RMweb search box you'll find a separate post on here from Aug 2016 in which I described the modifications.

(Btw, just been looking at your weathering service website.  Lovely work.  Particularly like the small prairie 'before & after' shots.  Pity you're in Oz!)

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Here's 5041 Tiverton Castle, which has also had some treatment from Steve at Grimy Times.

TC1.jpg.bf7fcb97173ca34e919ad6aa9fa6673e.jpg

Having roughly got the hang of focus stacking I'm now trying to correct the somewhat dark tones that a few of you have mentioned.  Here I've pushed the exposure compensation up to +2/3 and used some auxiliary lighting.  I'll keep experimenting.  

TC2.jpg.907edc93afabe40b0b104674c084f570.jpg

John C..

On my screen they look much more like it John.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi John

I think your focus stacking shots look great. After your advice I had a go with Affinity...It was much easier than I expected although I didnt see a really marked difference between a single frame and the final merge. How many actual shots do you take per merge?

Regarding the brightness of your shots .....have you used the level, colour and white balance options on affinity. I find them very useful and the big plus if you dont like the result you can just revert back.

Regards

John

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I resisted the temptation to crop this one as I quite like the composition, and didn't want to decapitate the signal.  So I've inflicted a view of one of the lighting tubes on you.  I hope to use Affinity to brush this kind of thing out once I've learned how to do it. Don't know where to start right now, but I said that about focus stacking a few weeks back

TC5.jpg.89519c5774bfa4cf1aa27c2a75196e2a.jpg

Passing through Stoke Courtenay 5041 meets a westbound parcels train.  Holding the camera down on the station platform, but unable to get my head behind the viewfinder I see I've obscured the loco behind the platform lamp.

TC6.jpg.e785ec2b4c3b3d6b7551b6a5bb00fff4.jpg

John C.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, john dew said:

After your advice I had a go with Affinity...It was much easier than I expected although I didnt see a really marked difference between a single frame and the final merge. How many actual shots do you take per merge?

Hi John

The 4K video clips my camera takes when 'post focus' is set to 'on' usually break down into a number of frames ranging from somewhere in the high 20s to somewhere in the 40s, depending I guess on the complexity and depth of what's in the shot.  At the moment I use them all, though it takes a few minutes.  This is probably overkill, but as yet I'm not sure how many I really need (about 12 or 15, say?) and on what criteria to select them (e.g. every other one?).

I'll have a go with the colour and white balance options on Affinity.  Thanks for the tip.

Regards,

John.

Edited by checkrail
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, checkrail said:

Don't know where to start right now, but I said that about focus stacking a few weeks back

Separate that remark from the particular task at hand, and apply it generally, and you have the essence of the definition of a good modeller (as opposed to box opener).

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Coach bogie said:

I was looking at this image, when you posted it, at my son's digs on Parsonage Road.

Just round the corner.  And at the time I was entertaining a Devon-domiciled friend whose childhood & teenage family home was on Parsonage Road.  Small world and all that.

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Anglian said:

I've just noticed that the signal spectacle plates are lamp lit – lovely detail.

Credit for that should go to Dapol.  (But the lamps are one of the few things I didn't alter on their rather strange signals).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

to 4574 leaving Stoke C. with the Earlsbridge No. 1 B-set to head back down the branch.  There is no No. 2 B-set.  Well, not yet anyway.

473229754_4574merged).jpg.00bb47562a0d375c2f4847b38edd2336.jpg

As it negotiates the junction it meets 4018 Knight of the Grand Cross on the up main line with an express.

743803231_Starmerge1.jpg.3ab7ca8a2f81f20cb89ef114d60e8d6c.jpg

John C

Edited by checkrail
  • Like 16

Hi John,

I've just come across this thread, and can I say very nice it looks to. Some excellent modelling, and it's interesting to see the various different approaches yourself and others have taken albeit based on the same prototype location.

Another GWR gem to follow. :-)

Andy

Edited by Waraqah
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1