The MSE bracket is interesting - I wonder why Derek Mundy (who I presume did the original artwork) chose that style instead of the far more common type as seen on the signal at Brent?

Hi,

Not sure of course but he may have taken the view that it is rather easier to take a bit off an etch than to add to it.

brentstarter1.jpg.400aa0309e21449bf43fe291f34f8dd2.jpgbrentstarter2.jpg.e50f53083c807ece935bd5bee9ad5834.jpgGood Morning,

Had the camera out before I started work in earnest, pictures front and back of Brent Branch Starter Bracket signal. Just waiting for the Modelu lamps now. I have now adjusted the safety hoop before anybody mentions it.

Edited by Stephen Freeman
  • Like 3

Hi,

In this instance Robin does not require working lights.

However for those cases where it is, then for tubular signals, wires go down the tube, for square posts, a slot is required in the posts filled in with filler after wires in place. I have toyed with the idea of doing some square post etches to save me some work but not got very far with it as yet. Lamps have to be hollowed out to take a warm white smd led.

Hi Stephen,

I'll get a selection of sample 2, 4 and 7mm lamps in the post to you today (EDIT - will be tomorrow as they still need to cure!). The 4 and 7mm versions are hollowed out for LEDs, I'd appreciate any feedback on sizing if you feel they need some adjustment.  Are Adlake No22 / LMS lamps of any interest also?

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alanbuttler

Hi Stephen,

I'll get a selection of sample 2, 4 and 7mm lamps in the post to you today (EDIT - will be tomorrow as they still need to cure!). The 4 and 7mm versions are hollowed out for LEDs, I'd appreciate any feedback on sizing if you feel they need some adjustment.  Are Adlake No22 / LMS lamps of any interest also?

Cheers

Alan

Hi,

Thanks, I've replied direct. The fact sad or otherwise is that 4mm scale GWR are the ones I get through fastest, especially needed as there isn't really a satisfactory version already. I can modify the round Alan Gibson ones to be OK (they are originally intended for UQs) but I'm running out of those and they don't appear to be supplying them as standard with their kits any more so am dependent on their continuing to having some available in the future. I still have some MSE ones but they are not my preference though his 7mm ones are much better.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As an aside, here are a couple of pics of the GNR lower quadrant signals that will again grace the rescued early P4 layout 'Swaveney'.

Incidentally, the part of the layout (in the second picture) and all the other signals can be seen at Scaleforum this weekend as part of Iain Rice's display of the early days of P4. 

post-6728-0-28607100-1474534679.jpg

post-6728-0-09087700-1474534696.jpg

• Like 4

Hi,

Non-standard, if you consider the MSE etch to be standard. You'll notice in due course, when I do the photos, that the bracket is not as wide as the MSE one, easily sorted by taking off the outer span and removing the smaller cross braces, just leavng one set of cross braces and an open section, you'll be able to see more easily what I mean when I do some photos tomorrow. Oh and I have to alter the gantry planking to suit as well.

Signal itself should be complete if not tomorrow, at some point this weekend.

David Geen produced the correct bracket for Brent in his range of signal parts

Regards

Mark Humphrys

Hi,

Non-standard, if you consider the MSE etch to be standard. You'll notice in due course, when I do the photos, that the bracket is not as wide as the MSE one, easily sorted by taking off the outer span and removing the smaller cross braces, just leavng one set of cross braces and an open section, you'll be able to see more easily what I mean when I do some photos tomorrow. Oh and I have to alter the gantry planking to suit as well.

Signal itself should be complete if not tomorrow, at some point this weekend.

The sample signal lamps have arrived from Alan (Modelu), I have wasted no time in getting them painted ready for installation. Best lamps yet.

I have now installed them on the Brent platform starter bracket signal. For those interested I tested fitting an SMD LED with wires to these and the Adlake lamp, no problem and of course no worries about having to insulate the soldered connections. However when tested with a live led, the resin is not opaque enough to stop light showing where it shouldn't, so a coating of silver/alumium paint will be needed to reflect the light back into the lamp body.

Would anyone know how to make these because you can't buy kits like this anywhere

In oo gauge/ 4mm

Hi,

You can buy the parts with no problem.

Rail is rail ( you can even buy MSE whitemetal castings if you prefer) Brackets (you might have to alter them a bit), Dolls, Arms - MSE or Gibson, Lamps MSE. For a wider range of SR arms there is also a Scalelink etch available

Hi,

You can buy the parts with no problem.

Rail is rail ( you can even buy MSE whitemetal castings if you prefer) Brackets (you might have to alter them a bit), Dolls, Arms - MSE or Gibson, Lamps MSE. For a wider range of SR arms there is also a Scalelink etch available

Thanks for the help, never heard of those makes before but I'll give it a go.

mlamp2.jpg.cf5038d635eb8232a9e40fbe7898800a.jpgHi,

Here are the final pictures of Brent Platform Starter Bracket Signal

post-6948-0-19803700-1474711942.jpgpost-6948-0-18650100-1474711959.jpgpost-6948-0-62814900-1474711996.jpg

Photo of a Modelu GWR Signal Lamp, now painted (needs a bit more black) with inside painted aluminium to reflect light back into the body

post-6948-0-40240800-1474712014.jpg

Finally for now a picture of lamp with live smd led, however, not as bright as it should be as I got some paint on the led. I'll have another go at a photo once the paint is dry.

• Like 3

Hi,

I've now turned my attention to the 2mm scale ones and thought you might be interested to know that I have managed to drill out one of them (I'll do the others in due course). Of course I can't fit an smd led in it as they are about the same size as the lamp. However there might be a possibility with fibre-optic. I've got plenty of that (0.25mm dia) so I'll see.

Afternoon,

I have now purchased some warm ultra bright 5mm LEDs to test out the possibility of illuminating a Modelu 2mm scale GWR signal lamp.

It can be done but one has to accept that it won't be as bright as an smd led (the Modelu lamp does of course look like a lamp) and that the fibre will have to enter through the rear aperture of the lamp and so won't be completely hidden. This is of course possible to do in 4mm scale with the fibres going down the inside of the post, with one to the front and one to rear of the lamp.

Perhaps I should do a piece on this, though the idea is not mine (it was a chap called Keith Baker, in an article in Railway Modeller more years ago than I care to remember)....

• Like 1

tigley1.jpg.d55eb461fc1554a0af38d894cc04a3e4.jpgoptic1.jpg.fa9938344d08878eba8a603f17f822ac.jpgoptic2.jpg.58d82f2f1e8da4648c32056a3ea0ab9f.jpgHi,

Right first of all, here is a photo of that GWR starter signal, the prototype of which will be well known to many. Not quite finished as I am waiting for the Modelu lamps to become readily available from the website.

Now for the foray into the land of fibre optics. First of all here is a signal which I am going to use, a GWR Tubular.

Here is a close up of the hole in the post where the cables will go.

Now I have to drill out a signal lamp and fit it before inserting the fibre optic cables and you'll see why this is the really cunning part of the whole plan in due course.

With using fibre optics, at least when using resin 3d printed lamps it isn't necessary to black out the interior with reflective paint to stop it shining through. Only downsides are not as much light, have to be careful with it and not possible (IMHO) to complete hide the fibres on bracket signals.

• Like 3

fibre1.jpg.bd97f3eabe9feb95ae6400a8587d287b.jpgfibre2.jpg.2af226ab97707c80a2aa796347cec5c9.jpgfibre3a.jpg.77f789223d99d8e1647c27bfebb080f0.jpgfibre4a.jpg.f619a5c28761dea106da163e6ac477bc.jpgHi again,

Now for a few more details on using fibre optic cable.

Type of Fibre - Crofon 0.254mm dia

Light source for this project is a Warm White 5mm LED with 1k resistor attached operating on 12vdc

The MSE lamp is drilled out from below with a drill as big as possible without destroying the casting, then front and back with a drill sufficiently big enough to accept a length of insulation sleeve from a piece of telephone type wire. On the post side of the lamp drill out a hole same size.

Take 2 lengths of the sleeving and slide over your cable. Heat bend both pieces of fibre-optic cable offer up both to lamp body (one at a time of course) slide through and secure with the sleeving and a spot of super-glue taking care not to get any on the cable.

Cut off the excess cable and sleeving from the lamp.

When set, slide cables down the inside of the post and using low-melt solder secure the lamp body on its mounting.

As you can see, it looks quite effective in low light but not as bright as an smd led

You might need to have a few goes before being happy with the result.

• Like 4

The next signal will be a GWR 4mm scale tubular post bracket one - 3 dolls - based on one that was at Shrewsbury. It will be quite interesting to do as it cannot be built from a standard MSE etch S0034 without amendment, due to the main post being offset rather than central - reason being that the arms are 5ft ones (I think) and using the standard (MSE) configuration there wouldn't have been enough room to accommodate all 3 arms. Fortunately I have a bit of bracket left over (I think) from Bewdley (one of the signal brackets is not as wide) so I should be able to widen the standard  S0034 etch to suit. Time will tell.

In the meantime I am gnashing my teeth at my website provider's current inability to get their server back up and running on anything like a reliable basis. I think I will be making alternative arrangements soon.

Kingsbridge (Tigley) starter is on its way south now.

I have fitted a servo to the signal with fibre-optic cable lighting, so will be programming and doing a short youtube in due course.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The next signal will be a GWR 4mm scale tubular post bracket one - 3 dolls - based on one that was at Shrewsbury. It will be quite interesting to do as it cannot be built from a standard MSE etch S0034 without amendment, due to the main post being offset rather than central - reason being that the arms are 5ft ones (I think) and using the standard (MSE) configuration there wouldn't have been enough room to accommodate all 3 arms. Fortunately I have a bit of bracket left over (I think) from Bewdley (one of the signal brackets is not as wide) so I should be able to widen the standard  S0034 etch to suit. Time will tell.

In the meantime I am gnashing my teeth at my website provider's current inability to get their server back up and running on anything like a reliable basis. I think I will be making alternative arrangements soon.

Kingsbridge (Tigley) starter is on its way south now.

I have fitted a servo to the signal with fibre-optic cable lighting, so will be programming and doing a short youtube in due course.

As far as I know the only GWR tubular steel signals which had 5ft arms were the very early straight post ones which had 5 ft  wooden arms if they qualified for 5 ft arms on the basis of height.   the original type of pressed steel arm (the version with the round corrugation on the top and bottom edges) was definitely produced in a 5ft version but they seem only to have been used for replacements on older signals and I have never seen an example, or a photo, of one on a tubular steel signal.  The second pattern of pressed steel arm - with a completely flush front - was only produced in 4ft or shorter versions as far as I have been able to trace.

If either of these is the signal in mind (there are/were others at Salop) then they are definitely 4ft arms -

(incidentally these are my original photos and are not to be reproduced without my permission except for personal use)

post-6859-0-03212700-1475579946_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-85221100-1475579961_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Good news, Alan Buttler of Modelu has been adding to his website, so the GWR and Adlake signal lamps are now available to order online.

So that just leaves me waiting for the 1mm brass angle to arrive before I can continue much further with the next GWR signal and it'll come in handy for the LSWR one after that. However I have some other work to finish off first, of which more in a day or two.