That's better. Nice looking layout and looks like lots of operator involvement involved. Nice to see the wire in tube point operation too, too many layouts using noisy solenoid motors. Spoils the sound coming from the locos.

Do you shunt with cards or freestyle?

Keep the photos coming.

G'day Merc435,

To answer your question, I intend working from cards, but for the exhibitions, I just shunt the wagons around to the appropriate sidings. Eventually I will produce a few sets of cards with different operating schedules.

G'day Rangers,

Arghhh, well, There is more to the story on another forum,,, I hope Andy doesn't mind me posting up a link here ??  http://www.platform1mrc.com/view_topic.php?id=90&forum_id=7 Thanks for the tasty comment. :)

Cheers, Gary.

Hi Hoover,

The low relief buildings are a mix of Scalescenes, Model Railway Scenery and scratch built. The backscene on the rear wall is one from Antics On Line, 'Townscene OO Roofscape Gasworks BS2'. The overall length of the backscene was a little short so I had to make a little addition to one of the Scalescenes buildings. This involved putting a small building on top, could be classified as a elevator house or an air conditioning ventilation room...

the gap...

post-14327-0-23648800-1472379057_thumb.jpg

and after...

post-14327-0-12812500-1472379111_thumb.jpg

Where the road bridge meets the backscene, I needed a street scene in the right perspective. After searching the web, I copied, resized, changed colour/tones etc, and the image was made to suit the scene. This I had to play with so that it looked right on top of the gasworks roofscape backscene.

post-14327-0-25834100-1472379306_thumb.jpg

The left hand end wall of the modules backscene had been made from copying a section of the gasworks roofscape backscene. The images of the pub (Bakers Arms), the building next door to the right and the taller building behind, I found on the web, which I had to manipulated in Photofilter 7 to fit the scene. These images where simply overlaid on top of each other.

post-14327-0-11776400-1472379454_thumb.jpg

The scene above the bridge was an image downloaded from the web once again. This to was manipulated in Photofilter 7 to give the desired results. I chose this image as it has that single freight line which looks as if it is heading towards the road bridge.

post-14327-0-65768200-1472380206_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Gary.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Rob. I will take this as very high praise coming from you, kind Sir !  :thankyou: 

One of my good mates in Scotland wanted to know if I could build an 'industrial scene' railway, so I took up the challenge. Your layout (Peafore Yard) had given me a lot of inspiration to no end.  :imsohappy: It is an enjoyable layout to operate, but I really need an extra 6" on the fiddle yard ! Currently I'm building a 4' x 1' Parcel Depot layout/plank. I will start a thread later in the year on this as it is being built for a competition on another forum... Shhh... :secret_mini: 

Cheers, Gary.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just had a solid three days exhibiting Industry Lane and the Platform 1 MRC promo table. I would like to thank SMR Chris and another good friend Andrew (Chiefnerd - Platform 1 MRC) for helping out over the weekend. The layout and stand attracted quite a few interested people. Small layouts such as this are not that common in Australia (well, Sydney anyway), but it ws great to demonstrate that you don't need a shed 30' x 12' for a layout.

post-14327-0-42784400-1475536229_thumb.jpeg

Industry Lane gathers some interest from the public.

post-14327-0-74473400-1475537909_thumb.jpg

SMR Chris enlightens the public about Industry Lane and model railways in general.

post-14327-0-91342600-1475537946_thumb.jpg

A busy Industry Lane with shunting duties the core business.

post-14327-0-22432400-1475537971_thumb.jpg

An unexpected visitor dressed in BR Blue...How could I not let Chris run this big blue, large logo beast of a 37..??  :dontknow:

...and I'm so happy that my layout isn't this BIG... :yes:

post-14327-0-54938900-1475537994_thumb.jpg

There is more track in one siding of one of those fiddle yards, than there is on all of Industry Lane ! :O

Cheers, Gary.

• Like 8

G'day inglenookfan,

The large layout you want to know about is owned by the Coffs Harbour Railway Modellers. Here is a link to their site, click on Construction : http://www.coffsharbourrailwaymodellers.com/soon.html

As for the parcel depot plank I'm building, here are a few teaser pics...

post-14327-0-75046000-1476355606_thumb.jpg

post-14327-0-03419300-1476355639_thumb.jpg

post-14327-0-55283000-1476355722_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Gary.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Looking Great so far!
It's making me want to pull my finger out and do something about my shunting layout...

I saw you guys at Liverpool, wish I'd been able to stop and have a chat but timing wasn't great.

Hope to see you at another Exhibition.
Maybe you can come down to one of Vic ones? ;)

Hi Gary

I wondered where you had got to as I had not come across any posts on here and I noted that you had left YMR, it was only the fact I spotted your other post today and followed the link here that I found out you are still modelling away.

Even though this is not my 'kind of thing' I see that it is still up to your usual high standard, I shall have to try and remember to drop in from time to time.

Jim

G'day Sharky,

Pity you were time poor as it's always great to put a face to a name. Anyway, maybe another time. Have you started a layout thread in regards to your shunting layout ??

G'day Jim,

Great to hear from you. Yes, I'm still modelling. At the moment I'm building the above parcel depot layout and a new HO scale American shunting plank with my son, Jack. The parcel depot layout is for a competition on another forum.

Cheers, Gary.

G'day inglenookfan,

The large layout you want to know about is owned by the Coffs Harbour Railway Modellers. Here is a link to their site, click on Construction : http://www.coffsharbourrailwaymodellers.com/soon.html

As for the parcel depot plank I'm building, here are a few teaser pics...

attachicon.gifIMG_0924 (2) RMweb.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0925 RMweb.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0929 (2) RMweb.jpg

Cheers, Gary.

Gary

Thank you for the link and teaser pics. The website is under construction or under going change so i will check back another time.

Who where and what is in the race car photo on the wall of the cave?

Inglenookfan

Who where and what is in the race car photo on the wall of the cave?

Inglenookfan

The pic on the wall is of Sir Jack Brabham in Denny Hulme's 1967 Repco Brabham BT24. I'm guessing the photo was taken during the V8 Supercars first outing on the old F1 Adelaide Street Circuit (1999). I do recall seeing some of the big name drivers of the time there, as I wandered the Historic Formula Cars pit.

Cheers, Gary.

The pic on the wall is of Sir Jack Brabham in Denny Hulme's 1967 Repco Brabham BT24. I'm guessing the photo was taken during the V8 Supercars first outing on the old F1 Adelaide Street Circuit (1999). I do recall seeing some of the big name drivers of the time there, as I wandered the Historic Formula Cars pit.

Cheers, Gary.

Gary

Thank you for the info. I really liked the old Adelaide circuit. I was there in '92 and '93 for the GP and really enjoyed myself. It was very cheap general admin tickets and the street parties were great fun.

Have you been to Bathurst? I went in those two years after wanting to so much as a kid.

All the best

Inglenookfan