South Pelaw and Stella Gill EM

Grosmont Jnc

And the lack of brakevan?

Cracking stuff though.

My fault entirely, I was the only one driving trains on Saturday so the idea, for testing purposes, was to get as many different trains going through as many different routes as possible rather than prototypical running...

Edited by johndon

“This weekend” as in 28/29th? !!!

The AB hoppers bring back memories, although it was 2x class 24 by the time I knew it. All along the back of Gateshead shed there were bits of orange ore dropped from passing trains and also some smaller purple bits. Had you thought about replicating that, or was it only in diesel days that the leakage was apparent?

Liked the videos.

Paul.

My bad, yes, 28th and 29th :)

The leaks depended a lot on the density of the ore, certainly the hard 'taconite' ore pellets leaked all over the place and are still lying around the line in abundance, there's loads around the site of Beamish station.

Really looking forward to seeing the railway and you guys of course. I had to miss the 'running day at the office' a while back unfortunately. It'll probably be a day trip of the Scottish Region Study Group but don't let that put you off, we've all got accents.

Dave Franks.

As this will be my first ever go at operating a layout at a show, I'll be the one with the panicked look on my face :)

• Like 1

As this will be my first ever go at operating a layout at a show, I'll be the one with the panicked look on my face :)

Don't worry John, you won't be the only exhibition first-timer.  I'll be having hours of fun in chaos central i.e. South Pelaw signalbox!

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this Superb layout yesterday, also kept going back to it. The sound of the pair of SLW class 24's hauling the ore train up the incline was awesome. 

Looking forward to seeing it again at Newcastle Show in November

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As they said above, a really superb layout. The signalling is so impressive: took me a while to work out what was what, and I do it for the day job. Really well done.

Paul.

• Like 1

I spent the weekend operating South Pelaw and had an absolute blast.  The layout ran well and it was great to talk to the viewers some of whom had come just to see the layout and plenty of whom knew the area.

We were also lucky enough to win the award for Best Layout in Show and also the award for the Most Entertaining Layout.

Thanks to the guys for letting me join in all weekend.

John

• Like 1

As they said above, a really superb layout. The signalling is so impressive: took me a while to work out what was what, and I do it for the day job. Really well done.

Paul.

Thanks Paul — it means a lot to us to know that we are operating it properly.

You must have missed the spads (there were a few). We have really enjoyed figuring out the moves and signals, and building them has kept us busy. Joe (aka Grosmont junction) did a superb job as our signalman over the two days, and as Johndon has already said, it was a blast. Roll on the Newcastle show...

• Like 2

Joe (aka Grosmont junction) did a superb job as our signalman over the two days, and as Johndon has already said, it was a blast. Roll on the Newcastle show...

Would also like to thank Joe for his signalman role over the two days....brilliant job in keeping us in order!

And pleased you enjoyed it John.....have a feeling you will return somehow.

Pete

• Like 1

Why do we do it? The simple answer is for pleasure. There's the pleasure in visiting and researching the real place, even though, over the years, it has changed almost beyond belief. There's the obvious pleasure in building the layout and the rolling stock.

We started this project about ten years ago and along the way we have had the pleasure of enlarging our little group and making new friends. But in the end it is about giving pleasure to those who come too witness and  share our dream. Finally there's the pleasure in knowing we have indeed given others pleasure manifested in a couple of awards.

One the most pleasing things on Saturday for me was being able to talk at length with Dave Bradwell who had travelled from Inverness to see the model, joining up with Chris Pendleton from Carlisle on the way. To rub shoulders with gentlemen such as these give us the pleasure of feeling as though we have arrived.

So a very big thank you to Rich, Richard, Mark, Pete, Phil, Joe, Tony and John for allowing me the pleasure of writing this little note.

Martin.

• Like 5

Thoroughly enjoyed watching the layout, guys. My mates started taking the mick that they knew where to find me all afternoon!

If you ever need more operators I’d be happy to assist, work permitting.

post-22467-0-40070500-1532938685_thumb.jpeg

• Like 12

Splendid stuff lads. You have a special layout there. I am the annoying one who aked for the 24s on the Ores instead of a 9F!  Would love to hear sound in some more of those locos too! I could have sat there all day watching it. First class.

• Like 1

Splendid stuff lads. You have a special layout there. I am the annoying one who aked for the 24s on the Ores instead of a 9F!  Would love to hear sound in some more of those locos too! I could have sat there all day watching it. First class.

It was no bother, we loved running the 24s - well, Phil and I did at least  :yahoo:

Edited by johndon

I cannot remember the last time I attended a show purely to see a layout, usually for me its for exhibiting or buying. I came from Liverpool to see this and also Blackgill which id never seen in the flesh before.

I looked forward to it and it didn't disapoint, in fact it well exceeded expectations, I spent a long time in front of the layout which is something I dont often do also. Was great to see it operated as per the real thing ie working signals.

It really was superb! A working railway, it really captured what I imagine the real place to have been like.

post-27-0-63933300-1533153044_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We are taking South Pelaw on the road to the Newcastle show this coming weekend 10/11 November --  show details at http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/17221-NewcastleandDistrictModelRailwaySocietyExhibition

This time we should have additional coal hoppers, as well as some steel products coming down the bank from Consett.

Hope to see some of you there...

• Like 3

A thoroughly enjoyable weekend for South Pelaw at the Newcastle show.  Thanks to all who came to see that layout and, as always, it was particularly pleasing to hear comments from viewers who know the area that has been modelled.  A few photos below courtesy of Bill Watson:

GNU1754nefjpegfinal.jpg

GNU1771nefjpegfinal.jpg

GNU1761nefjpegfinal.jpg

and with a special guest appearance on signalling duties of Cartman from South Park :)

GNU1738nefjpegfinal.jpg

John

Edited by johndon
  • Like 14