South Pelaw and Stella Gill EM

Grosmont Jnc

There is still scope for extra wagons on South Pelaw, and here are a couple of recent additions to the fleet.

First up a 13T steel open from Parkside.

F5FA8894-93A2-4FB6-B760-4BFD5FF20AC5.jpeg.33258ed33346bac4d8a11a1e0884bcc8.jpeg 

Van traffic was in the minority, but I enjoyed making this 12T ex-LMS van despite the extra effort involved in modifying the roof profile.

2A865553-57B1-4056-8C7B-17F913DC83D9.jpeg.04beb67a9a7b96ab0efeee43b757ee41.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Probably the ones that came with the kit, but I don’t recall exactly.

The overall look was inspired by the wagon lurking in the background of this photo on Ernie Black’s most excellent Flickr pages — https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/41534051062/in/album-72157663860935107/ . Though I have just noticed the black chalk panel on the original ...

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, johndon said:

Although the 9Fs are, perhaps, most associated with the iron ore trains to Consett,

Or Type 2s (Class 24) for ‘youngsters’ like me!

10 hours ago, johndon said:

In reality, the rather impressive signal gantry had even more arms but, as the 36 sidings are not modelled a number of arms have not been modelled.

NER ‘if it exists, signal it’ policy.

Thanks for reminding me of the enjoyable day watching the signals on your layout. I was most impressed. 

Paul.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tom shaw said:

I believe Peaks were tried and I know EE type 4s worked as bankers.

Wonderful layout and pictures.

Tom

D171 took an iron ore train, unassisted, to Consett on on 28 September 1962.  It made the journey over 20 minutes faster than the schedule allowed for.

Type 4s (later Class 40s) were used as bankers from December 1964 after responsibility for banking was moved from Tyne Dock to Tyne Yard.

Thanks for the comments on the layout, plenty of photos to come...

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Not that it shows much albeit, I guess that's the point really, the photo below was taken from the same location and looking in the same direction as the first photo of the Q6 in the previous post a couple of years ago...

IMG_2189.jpg.7306b69643d31e6090856c2c82dfac6c.jpg

• Like 7

On 04/01/2021 at 09:18, johndon said:

Or Class 37s if you're even younger :)

John

Hello John

I grew up a few miles further up the line (at East Stanley) and the only thing I can remember apart from Class 37s is when a Class 31 brought Prince Charles on the Royal Train up to Consett. That must put me in the 'youngster' category ;). My dad took me to Consett to get a glimpse of the heir to the throne but I was more interested in the train. I can't exactly remember when that was but it was probably just after the steelworks had closed. 

Anyhow, I've always had a keen interest in the railway between Stella Gill and Consett and I think your layout is superb as it gives me a visual understanding of what used to be there but had long gone when I was a kid. I moved away from the area many years ago and looking at the layout reminds me of the area I still consider to be 'home'. The quality of modelling is great - one of the best layouts on here in my opinion. 

Cheers

Chris 

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

11 hours ago, johndon said:

Cheers Chris. I lived at East Stanley when I first got married but that was years after the line closed. 

The Royal Train visited Consett in December 1982. There are a number of photos of the train on my website here: http://southpelawjunction.co.uk/wp/?page_id=493 who knows, you may be on one of them :) 

John

John

Thanks for the link to the photos. I reckon I would have been just out of shot on the left of the picture of Prince Charles getting off the train on the white steps - I was stood with my Dad next to the photographers and TV crews.

My memories of the day have faded but I do remember an old lady who I was stood next to asking Prince Charles 'how's the bairn, hinny?' (referring to the recently-born Prince William). Charles smiled politely but with a look on his face which said 'I don't have a clue what you have just said to me'. 

I also recall driving up to Consett and there being lots of people standing next to the line at Annfield Plain with their flags at the ready. However, the train was already parked up on the curve between East Castle and Leadgate by that time, so the good folk of Annfield Plain would have been disappointed. 

Apologies for interrupting the discussions with my trip down memory lane....

Chris 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

It's a great thing when you know where you are in the country without any stock on the layout to give the game away and the top photo illustrates this perfectly. Another example of this, for me, is Chris Pendlenton's North Shields but I put this layout in the same mould.

Superb models, layout and photography.

Tom

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 3

Nice to see some historical shots. I think these show the benefit of using OS maps to plan the layout — the curve through South Pelaw junction is both subtle and distinctive, and Martin’s trackwork captures location perfectly.

Meanwhile  here’s some gratuitous lockdown wagons. These are a model of lowfits, some of which were converted into twin bolsters beginning around 1960. The models are built from Red Panda kits with some Parkside underframes. We have no evidence that I am aware of for their use at Consett, but they make a plausible change from plate wagons and bogie bolsters.

2CADFBAF-8ACA-4EA8-9367-4AFD52B4B5A1.jpeg.0d2828e21d7da0dec6fde9e0c2cb5c36.jpeg

Transfers are a right mixture of HMRS methods, Cambridge Custom Transfers, and Railtec.

• Like 14