South Pelaw and Stella Gill EM

Grosmont Jnc

• RMweb Gold
On 04/03/2021 at 17:36, johndon said:

And finally, for today, the new order has arrived at South Pelaw with Sulzer Type 2s D5107 and D5109, two of ten such locos modified with additional air equipment to operate the doors on the iron ore hopper wagons.  The locos have received the signal, lever 12 in the box, to cross the junction from the Washington Branch to the main lines to Consett with their loaded iron ore train.  In the foreground are 16T wagons in the South Pelaw Colliery exchange sidings and, in the background, one of the residents of Railway Cottages is tending to his rather well stocked allotment.

DSC_9428-31FoStmod.jpg.37c299ade90e7a6abf2a190ecec01f28.jpg

Photos from Tony Lambert.

I have to admit that despite the simply gorgeous  9Fs and other great locomotives the sound of a pair of  Sulzer Type 2s grumbling up the bank kept me watching for a long time at EM north, great layout really well observed and runs really well.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, jollysmart said:

I have to admit that despite the simply gorgeous  9Fs and other great locomotives the sound of a pair of  Sulzer Type 2s grumbling up the bank kept me watching for a long time at EM north, great layout really well observed and runs really well.

Thanks for that.  The 24s whilst, strictly speaking too late for the period that the layout represents, have gone down really well with the viewers at the shows we have attended so far.

A couple of us in the group are diesel fans so we do try and sneak the 24s on when we can.  Not sure we'll get away with a pair of 37s and a rake of PTAs though :)

Edited by johndon
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, johndon said:

Thanks for that.  The 24s whilst, strictly speaking too late for the period that the layout represents, have gone down really well with the viewers at the shows we have attended so far.

A couple of us in the group are diesel fans so we do try and sneak the 24s on when we can.  Not sure we'll get away with a pair of 37s and a rake of PTAs though :)

Give it a try, I'm sure they would be popular. It's nice to hear the diesels actually working hard on a train rather than just sitting  idling  in a depot or flying by at speed.

1 hour ago, jollysmart said:

Give it a try, I'm sure they would be popular. It's nice to hear the diesels actually working hard on a train rather than just sitting  idling  in a depot or flying by at speed.

They certainly earn their keep up the bank with a full load of brass and whitemetal wagons...

• Like 1

The class 24s do indeed make an impressive racket. Perhaps we should think about sound chips for the 9Fs, but it won’t be quite the same without the volcanic exhaust effects of the real thing. See the following video for an example. The wheel slip at the end of the video is something we can, and do, reproduce on the model.

• Like 11

As they appear to be popular, here's a video of the 24s heading back down the hill from Consett with an empty rake of wagons on the return journey to Tyne Dock with apologies for my fat fingers in the way at the 54 second mark...

Edited by johndon
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, johndon said:

Whose train set is it anyway?

Mike.

4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Whose train set is it anyway?

Mike.

The 24's were probably mine...….

The trainset is the work originally of the Stainmore Summit group, but has since expanded as time has gone on.

Pete

• Like 1

13 hours ago, johndon said:

As they appear to be popular, here's a video of the 24s heading back down the hill from Consett with an empty rake of wagons on the return journey to Tyne Dock with apologies for my fat fingers in the way at the 54 second mark...

Just RUDDY perfect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Plenty coverage of what goes up the bank but what of the products from the steelworks?

With the exception of two partial shots of a loaded bogie bolster, there's no sight of a loaded train from the works.

I expect the recent shots of Bradwell single bolsters might be a sign that we'll soon see them fulfilling their intended role. Can't wait. However, does anyone have any photographs of original train loads from Consett Steelworks?

This is not an idle enquiry. Any information would be very valuable.

Bob  

On 04/03/2021 at 17:36, johndon said:

After last week's look at some of the signal installations, this week we are firmly back in the territory of locos and rolling stock.

First up, work stained J27 65835 approaches the junction on the Washington Branch with a train of empty plate wagons and a trestrol heading for the Low Yard at Consett steelworks where they will be loaded for the return trip.  To the left, a crippled 21T wagon has been dumped in the sidings, a common practice at the location.

DSC_9194-97FoStmod.jpg.1e7b8daabe0f817d3dee488c7e97fc0d.jpg

Next, 9F 92063 powers up the incline past Stella Gill shed with a motely train of coal wagons again, heading for Consett while a another J27, I think, is being turned on the Stella Gill yard turntable.  As I have mentioned before, in reality there was a substantial space between the main line and shed that contained part of Stella Gill coke works but it was a compromise that had to be made to get round to the fiddle yard.

DSC_9378-81FoStmod.jpg.b452cab4875075cdc38ef261e9258263.jpg

And finally, for today, the new order has arrived at South Pelaw with Sulzer Type 2s D5107 and D5109, two of ten such locos modified with additional air equipment to operate the doors on the iron ore hopper wagons.  The locos have received the signal, lever 12 in the box, to cross the junction from the Washington Branch to the main lines to Consett with their loaded iron ore train.  In the foreground are 16T wagons in the South Pelaw Colliery exchange sidings and, in the background, one of the residents of Railway Cottages is tending to his rather well stocked allotment.

DSC_9428-31FoStmod.jpg.37c299ade90e7a6abf2a190ecec01f28.jpg

Photos from Tony Lambert.

Hello John,

What is the source of the trestrol, behind the J27?

Bob

2 hours ago, RBAGE said:

Hello John,

What is the source of the trestrol, behind the J27?

Bob

Hi Bob,

I thought it was a modified version of an old RTR one. Possibly Triang, or Triang Hornby, done by Rich

Pete

Edited by pete55
Crossed posts!

2 minutes ago, pete55 said:

Hi Bob,

its a modified version of an old RTR one. Possibly Triang, or Triang Hornby. 

Pete

Ah, yes, I hadn't looked at the photo properly, that one is the modified Triang one but we do also have a couple of Ian Macdonald's kits as well.

2 hours ago, RBAGE said:

Plenty coverage of what goes up the bank but what of the products from the steelworks?

With the exception of two partial shots of a loaded bogie bolster, there's no sight of a loaded train from the works.

I expect the recent shots of Bradwell single bolsters might be a sign that we'll soon see them fulfilling their intended role. Can't wait. However, does anyone have any photographs of original train loads from Consett Steelworks?

Bob  

We do run a couple of loaded steel trains but they appear to be remarkably camera shy.  I have found this photo though:

DSC_9373-76FoStmod.jpg.eea5273d59c17ec5b30781baeee52139.jpg

As for prototype photos, I'll have a dig through the collection...

Edited by johndon
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, johndon said:

We do run a couple of loaded steel trains but they appear to be remarkably camera shy.  I have found this photo though:

DSC_9373-76FoStmod.jpg.eea5273d59c17ec5b30781baeee52139.jpg

As for prototype photos, I'll have a dig through the collection...

Bound for the shipyards?

6 minutes ago, pete55 said:

Hi Bob,

I thought it was a modified version of an old RTR one. Possibly Triang, or Triang Hornby, done by Rich

Pete

4 minutes ago, johndon said:

Ah, yes, I hadn't looked at the photo properly, that one is the modified Triang one but we do also have a couple of Ian Macdonald's kits as well.

Smashing. Thanks.

I've quickly ordered a couple of kits from Ian. Do you think Rich might share details of his modifications?

2 hours ago, RBAGE said:

Bob  

In addition to Johndon's pic, here are some photos of wagons that often feature in loaded steels. First up is a Bachmnann Bolster C, modified with Rumney Models etchings and bolsters to represent a D1/474 (I think) wagon. I have recently received a new set of goodies from Justin, so there might be more of these wagons appearing.

BolsterC.jpg.e83478e0a0c295bc6f4781bed44e0964.jpg 

Next up is a Bolster D from a Cambrian kit, loaded with billets, probably bound for Jarrow.

BolsterD.jpg.239e443f814c5e1f20142a0636d21470.jpg

And finally one of several Cambrian Boplates, loaded with product from the Hownsgill plate mill and bound for the shipyards.

Boplate1.jpg.af16e1883e0bdc9910c2d95716252df7.jpg

Steel in these cases is plasticard rod and sheet painted grey to represent mill scale.

We do have some photos of steel traffic through South Pelaw, but there seem to be more pictures of empty steel wagons going up to Consett than fulls coming down. Of course this might have something to do with the difficulties inherent in working a heavy loaded train down a steep gradient, and we do know that a fair bit of product went via Lanchester. However, we are always on the lookout for more information too.

Boplate2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

3 hours ago, RBAGE said:

Aye Bub but don't forget prior to the opening of Tyne Yard the majority of south bound product went down the Lanchester Valley banks and via Stonebridge. Prior to the opening of Hownes Gill Plate Mill the size of plate produced was on average, smaller. Quite a bit of the smaller plate went out in standard 5 plankers.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

38 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

Smashing. Thanks.

I've quickly ordered a couple of kits from Ian. Do you think Rich might share details of his modifications?

You need two of the Triang wagons as they are too short.  To get the right length, you cut one section (between the ribs along the centre beam - photo below of one of my unmodified examples).  Other than that, as far as I know, for it's age it is pretty accurate although you'd probably want to cover the bogie pivots...

IMG_2611.jpeg.d5229601cae67bdac53e7a97057548b0.jpeg

I'm sure there is an article in an older Scalefour News on the conversion but I can't for the life of me find it right now...

John

Edited by johndon
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, johndon said:

I'm sure there is an article in an older Scalefour News on the conversion

I thought it was MRJ but your probably right. There was also a very basic article (1980's ?) in one of the contemporary mags of the time. Scale Model Railways or summink like that.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

I thought it was MRJ but your probably right. There was also a very basic article (1980's ?) in one of the contemporary mags of the time. Scale Model Railways or summink like that.

Nothing in the online MRJ index.  I wouldn't care but I've actually read the article so it has to be either MRJ or Snooze...