Railway-related pub signs

Christchurch has only been (nominally) in Dorset since 1974 so the comments were hardly from a true traditionalist, probably some young upstart.

Indeed, the fact that Christchurch is barely within the county boundary made the comment all the more amusing...how our country cousin knew we from over the border I do not know and we were not bothered as visiting pubs akin to "The Slaughtered Lamb" is something most of my friends enjoy when out of town.

Chappy was in his 50's and had been in the pub most of the day by the looks of it btw, rough looking sort not familiar with a razor, and wearing stained looking double denim :no:

I don't have a photo but at Templecombe the pub is called the Royal Wessex even though that named train ran on a different route.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.001685,-2.4155694,3a,37.5y,90h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swKZ_EcKghwrvIYmDi_GmTg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

And it's got the right headcode - for Waterloo to Bournemouth. :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Chappy was in his 50's and had been in the pub most of the day by the looks of it btw, rough looking sort not familiar with a razor, and wearing stained looking double denim

Exactly; young upstart. You have to be in your 60s to rock double denim.

"We don't like Hampshire folk in here" as we got our pints...we just laughed at the poor sod, I mean Christchurch is hardly deepest darkest Dorset is it?

Perhaps it's a good job you did, knowing some of 'em in Christchurch it's their kind of humour, some still decry, even now, the fact they're no longer in 'Hog'shire.

• RMweb Premium

Two from me:

The Railway in Whittlesey - there used to be a Mk1 coach in the garden in use as a dining room, long gone now.

IMG_0250_zpseqobv1fj.jpg

And the Whistle Stop at Tallington, which I understand is a former railway hotel, on the ECML. The picture on this one is inappropriate as the platforms are marked as Tallington Station yet the engine is clearly of GW origin in its style and with what look like teak coaches in tow!

IMG_0251_zpsm90tufgu.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The Railway Inn, Lower Largo

Presumably an older sign, in 2008:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_89WBX5IfvAg/R--41HUzPwI/AAAAAAAABvg/DpadLwUkAbE/s400/railway-inn-sign.JPG

And a newer one (the pub is the white building on the right):

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/6f/6b/f6/6f6bf69e061d8f47212ffcb3ecc065de.jpg

In the second one, Largo station was above the inn, where the trees are just off the end of the viaduct.

The Railway Inn, Lower Largo

Presumably an older sign, in 2008:http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_89WBX5IfvAg/R--41HUzPwI/AAAAAAAABvg/DpadLwUkAbE/s400/railway-inn-sign.JPG

And a newer one (the pub is the white building on the right):https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/6f/6b/f6/6f6bf69e061d8f47212ffcb3ecc065de.jpg

In the second one, Largo station was above the inn, where the trees are just off the end of the viaduct.

I was in that pub a couple of months ago!

steve (old enough to rock double denim)

If you fancy a railway related pub crawl, can I recommend Kidderminster. 4 pubs within a 10 minute walk and a fifth about 20 mins walk away.

First up the King and Castle at the SVR station

post-14887-0-41023800-1473243136.jpg

Then across the road. Not too sure what the loco is supposed to be here other than  a blue one

post-14887-0-13947000-1473243164.jpg

Round the corner. MR loco on the GW!

post-14887-0-46376800-1473243244.jpg

Down the road a bit

post-14887-0-79139700-1473243301.jpg

A bit of a longer walk.

post-14887-0-69037400-1473243343.jpg

The viaduct shown is not that behind the pub , but that at Falling Sands about a 1/4 mile away on the SVR line between Kidderminster and Bewdley.

There is also a railway related cafe and hairdresser (not in the same shop) opposite Kidderminster station and railway related chippy down the road. This town has it all.

And if you are in Bewdley you can always pop in here

post-14887-0-41734600-1473243560.jpg

Andy

On the blue loco, I would take a guess at a GNR Atlantic...

steve (Not really a steam man)

Definitely a GNR atlantic, although I've no knowledge of any being painted blue. I suspect it's just artistic licence, but very nice it looks.

• RMweb Gold

An Atlantic with 8P rating would be quite something.

Driving through Yeovil last night, I noticed that the Railway Tavern, close to the former GW Hendford station, has a loco on the pub sign. Looked rather bigger than anything that would have run through there.

• 2 weeks later...

post-189-0-95133400-1474295889.jpg

This is rather a strange one, seen in Bow in East London.  The pub, the Little Driver, has nice window etchings of an early Sharp type single, although not exactly little drivers on that, but the picture appears to be a Norwegian, perhaps, 2-6-0. (Nene Valley maybe?) Maybe the designer was trying to match Adams' wonderful Mogul, but couldn't find an appropriate picture.

attachicon.giflittle driver bow.jpg

This is rather a strange one, seen in Bow in East London.  The pub, the Little Driver, has nice window etchings of an early Sharp type single, although not exactly little drivers on that, but the picture appears to be a Norwegian, perhaps, 2-6-0. (Nene Valley maybe?) Maybe the designer was trying to match Adams' wonderful Mogul, but couldn't find an appropriate picture.

It's not one of the former VR (Finnish Railways) locos that were 'preserved' somewhere nearby, is it?

As for incongruous locos on signs- the pun next to Penarth station has a V2 on an express freight.

1 - Years ago, there was a decent looking rendition of the Midland Railway coat of arms near Cheltenham station. You got a glimpse of it from your train as it arrived in the platform. Anyone know if it's still there?

2 - Must remind myself to have a look at the sign on the Great Northern on Station Road, Mickleover. I drive past it frequently but don't take any notice.

1 - Years ago, there was a decent looking rendition of the Midland Railway coat of arms near Cheltenham station. You got a glimpse of it from your train as it arrived in the platform. Anyone know if it's still there?

This was the Midland Hotel in Cheltenham last year, I don't remember a sign otherwise I would have probably taken a photo

post-7081-0-48908600-1474446097_thumb.jpg

12/4/2015

cheers

• RMweb Gold

Only two proper pub signs - one with a loco on it - the other with a well-known engineer. Why when The Engineer is in Newhaven's Railway Road and about 100 yards from the Town station, there is no railway content I don't know. Maybe their allegiance to the LBSCR wouldn't allow them to show another company's railway. Maybe the Severn Beach line is down in the gorge.

The third is a fairly rubbish sign, but the pub has taken over part of Denmark Hill station. I have a grandson named after same pub!

post-14351-0-39652400-1474414965_thumb.jpgpost-14351-0-21334300-1474414963_thumb.jpgpost-14351-0-23374900-1474414964_thumb.jpg

Archived