USERS MAY EXPERIENCE SLOW PERFORMANCE, THIS IS DUE TO A DRIVE ISSUE WHICH IS BEING INVESTIGATED.

10 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

But don't forget there was r that (early) 'S' and the slightly different later pattern.  I suspect the change would hava occurred around about teh time of the Great War when a number other changes took place in GW signals with some arrangements becoming becoming obsolete.   BUT just to be cantankerous one arrangement which had officially become obsolete by c.1920 was installed on a brand new replacement signal in the 1950s albeit partially using secondhand material.

I think my customer's layout is set in the early 1950's...

JF

• Like 1
  • RMweb Gold
On 23/03/2021 at 23:28, Jon Fitness said:

I think my customer's layout is set in the early 1950's...

JF

The old arrangement of an 'S'  on a small semaphore arm for a Shunt Ahead subsidiary was superseded by the standard (i.e. small arm with horizontal stripes) pattern of subsidiary arm by the mid 1930s but inevitably the older pater survived well beyond then and only seem to have been replaced when a signal was renewed.  Hence they were quite common on the OWW in the early 1960s and could occasionally still be seen elsewhere but I never saw one with the older style of 'S' (with the 'twiddly bits' on the ends).  GWR publications indicate that 'twiddly bits' style was obsolete by 1920 and had been superseded by the far plainer (and 'meatier') style of 'S'. 

• Like 1