Scratch-built card and styrene structures (based on real buildings around London Bridge)

grahame

I went out and managed to get a few sheets of mount-board. Just £3 for a large A1 sheet - no messing around with off-cuts. Less than the price of a pint and one sheet will make quite a few N/2mm building carcasses.

Then after lunch I re-cut all the floor parts and started gluing bits together. Cutting and gluing is very therapeutic and relaxing, and the end result is a unique model you have personally built - such satisfaction and pride.

Anyway here's the first stage for 7 Holyrood Street and it location near the old white warehouse. I hope the construction is self-evident :

post-33-0-73001000-1523906554_thumb.jpg

G.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 8

So, with a little more cardboard engineering - measuring, cutting and sticking - plus adding some embossed brick plasticard (the red coloured parts) I've managed to get to this stage for 7 Holyrood Street:

post-33-0-99188300-1523948445_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 3

I've effectively completed the carcass and main structural section of the building although there are details to be added and painting to be undertaken. The remaining 'gaps' are where separate wall panels need to be made, detailed, painted and glazed (because they include windows) before attaching them as part of the final assembly.

post-33-0-90969600-1523956351_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 5

I've started to flit between the two buildings, adding a bit here and bit there - chimney stacks, a floor and pitched roof (although this is currently removable to allow access inside and it needs covering with Redutex tiles) on the old warehouse, cutting and starting of the window wall panels for the modern warehouse/office conversion and even the site curved brick wall (which I didn't bother with moulded brick plasticard as it will be almost impossible to see behind the viaduct:

post-33-0-70187900-1523969135_thumb.jpg  

G.

• Like 7

The 'terraced' part of the old white building in Magdalen Street appears to have been retained and used as part of a modern upgrading/conversion by adding a new extra floor (penthouse apartments?) on it and building a new section to the curved corner to extend it. Obviously it looks fairly run down in the older pic and was part of an extensive building site according to the aerial view. The section further away from the curved corner with Holyrood Street looks more like it was re-built so will feature as part of the site demolition/re-building work. That means I need to complete the back of the white building (which faces the viewing side of the layout but in a rather run-down and probably boarded up condition. However, I've no details of what it looked like but I've started on making a rear wall that can be attacked and distressed . . . . .

post-33-0-48606100-1523978291_thumb.jpg

G.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 7

Here's a bit of advise (or maybe word of warning) - make sure you have everything you need before starting a modelling project. So far for this one I've have to go out and get card mount-board yesterday, now I find that I need more primer so I need to visit Halfords tomorrow and I'm out of Redutex so I've had to place an order this afternoon (which obviously won't arrive for a few days yet). Oh well, time for some research as to how I can distress the back of the old building to make it look decrepit:

post-33-0-68936000-1523990729_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Here's a bit of advise (or maybe word of warning) - make sure you have everything you need before starting a modelling project. So far for this one I've have to go out and get card mount-board yesterday, now I find that I need more primer so I need to visit Halfords tomorrow and I'm out of Redutex so I've had to place an order this afternoon (which obviously won't arrive for a few days yet).

G.

Mmmmmm been there many times.....sometimes you find you need 4 of something and only have 3!

Halfords must think you are spraying a battleship the amount of grey primer you’ve used.

Mmmmmm been there many times.....sometimes you find you need 4 of something and only have 3!

Halfords must think you are spraying a battleship the amount of grey primer you’ve used.

Yes, it's probably one of those immutable laws like Murphy's or Sod's:

"You will always be one unit short of the number of any part or item that you require for any modelling project."

And yep, they think I'm painting the new HMS Queen Elizabeth. I've nearly got one side completed.

;-)

G

• Like 1

I've started on some decrepitude and part demolition, but there's lots to do to make it look convincing. I'm holding a small piece of Redutex tiling in place - its just a small left over piece and there's not enough for the whole roof so I need to wait until new supplies arrive. I can't really stick it in place until I've done more detailing and painting. And now I'm off to Halfords for white and grey primer:

post-33-0-25766600-1524041756_thumb.jpg

I've also noticed that this thread has clicked over this morning to 50,000 views. Some sort of milestone I guess, so many thanks to all those who have dropped in, had a look and even left comments.

G.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 9

Damn, having just undertaken some basic painting, just blocks of colour ready for detail painting and weathering, I find I've only some dregs of matt varnish to seal it. That means I'll have to go out tomorrow to buy some more aerosol cans. This project seems to be dogged with a shortage of supplies.

G

• Like 1

Here's the building with some basic blocks of colour on. It needs tidying up in places and more detailing work, plus the window wall panels aren't glued in place but just rested in position. And the roof top penthouse/office needs some work. But it's now starting to take shape:

post-33-0-45522500-1524062773_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 5

Final pic for today is an overview of the scene (and probably not necessary). Much is still only temporary and needs painting, detailing and gluing in place. But hopefully it gives an idea of what it will look like.

post-33-0-90975200-1524071081_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 12

Thanks as always for posting Graham

I've tended to follow the layout threads which have run for years. So 50,000 for a topic started a little over 18 months ago is some going. I have to be selective with my time ( Don't we all?) , but have regularly dropped in here since coming across it. Always something new to see & learn.

Steve

• Like 1

I've also noticed that this thread has clicked over this morning to 50,000 views. Some sort of milestone I guess, so many thanks to all those who have dropped in, had a look and even left comments

Congratulations on passing 50,000 views. Maybe you shouldn't be too surprised at this, it has been fascinating to watch this whole cityscape grow. Simple tools and materials, handled with great skill, combined with a down-to-earth description of how everything has been built, has created no less than one of the best "books" on miniature architectural modelling that I have read.

I am very much looking forward to many more chapters.

Regards

Many thanks for the feedback. I'm pleased that there are those who appreciate and find interest in this thread about the making of buildings, based on real ones, in N/2mm scale.

G

Thoroughly enjoy following this thread and following not only the building but thinking behind the what and why you are doing it as well.

Keep on posting.

Here's to the next 50,000!!!!

Just a little added before I pop up to Addlestone Model Shop to get some Humbrol aerosol matt varnish (although they don't always have it so fingers crossed) and some paint - desert yellow for the brickwork and grey/brown for wood:

post-33-0-54179400-1524124579_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 4

Back from the shops where I managed to get a couple of cans of matt varnish and some acrylic paint - not the exact shades I wanted but acceptable. I've now mixed and slapped the paint on as a broad base colour. And then matted it down with the varnish.

Details added will be painted separately as they are likely to be contrast colours before adding. Plus I need to look at similar decrepit and derelict building pics to get a good idea of how they weather. Time for some surfing.

post-33-0-81941600-1524136662_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 7

I'm not at all surprised at the number of views this thread has racked up Grahame. It's full of useful tips, inspiring 'how-to' guidance and some spectacular modelling. It's one thread I regularly visit on RMWeb to give me ideas for my own N gauge layout.  Can't thank you enough for sharing your knowledge, skills and experience!

I've been looking a pics of derelict and decrepit buildings and there's seems to be quite a range of their condition. In general the brickwork is unkempt and dark from staining (presumably by smog, coal fires and steam trains before smokeless fuels and zones) so I've given it a coat of 'Devan Mud' wash and a good scrubbing with 'Industrial Dirt' weathing powder (although I must do something to tone down and age the end whitewashed wall).

The windows and fittings condition varies considerably in those I looked at. Some simply have smashed glass in the windows, others have the whole window frames knocked out while others are boarded up - some with wood and others with corrugated iron. I'm not sure what look to try and model so the pic below shows them with nothing . . . . .

post-33-0-66379600-1524151681_thumb.jpg

The one thing that is consistent is the amount of unkempt vegetation growing everywhere, rubbish and junk scattered around and even graffiti. Plus peeling paint and a general poor condition. I can have fun adding all that. 

G.

• Like 8

I've been searching RMweb and the internet in general for advise on modelling derelict and decrepit buildings along with some good inspirational examples but have found very little. That may well be because of my failing as a 'surfer' and my search techniques, but I wonder if anyone has any tips or can point out some suitable on-line content.

Thanks in anticipation.

G.

I've been searching RMweb and the internet in general for advise on modelling derelict and decrepit buildings along with some good inspirational examples but have found very little. That may well be because of my failing as a 'surfer' and my search techniques, but I wonder if anyone has any tips or can point out some suitable on-line content.

Thanks in anticipation.

G.

My first thought is to try wargamming sites both for modelling ideas and materials used.

Yes, military modellers are the best when it comes to weathering and the building of dioramas featuring buildings damaged in war. However, I did search the entire web and nothing particularly relevant came up. I must learn to refine and improve my surfing and searching.

The Redulex I ordered arrived this morning. With it being pre-coloured and textured, easily cut and self adhesive it only took a few minutes to stick on to the card roof former and trim to size. Ridge tiles are yet to be made and added. It's not yet glued in place so I can access the inside for fitting windows if I decide on them. I've also added chimney pots made from styrene rod with the top ends opened out with the end of a pointed sharp scalpel blade held in place and the rod spun by twisting in my fingers. Brickwork and tiles are need to be added inside and around the ruined section of the building:

post-33-0-24942400-1524215419_thumb.jpg

• Like 7