Scratch built HO models for model train project in Sri Lanka

Ron Heggs

I will be visiting Sri-Lanka in March 2019 - will it be available to visit - even as a 'layout in construction'?

I understand the layout will be open to the public in the next two weeks. Kirala Island is on Bodoga Lake south of Colombo which should be open year round

Their Facebook page is 'Kirala Island'

Ron

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Mike

As of March this year, it was still a pink tinted cream with doors and window frames in umber

The car parking area has been increased and paved with brick paviours with white picket fencing to the station boundary

Ron

So it will be an umberella!

Mike.

Looks good, but a bit empty. My impression of Asian railways is the vast amount of people using it, either to travel or make scrape a living. However, finding Asian figures in large quantities in the correct scale isn't gonna be easy.

Still more to go with filling up. People vehicles foliage trees and much more not in da layout yet.

The layout looks stunning, I might have too see if the pennies will run to a holiday.

As for figures, it might be worth investigating 3d printing, as done by Modelu, but somewhere in Sr Lanka.

Thanks for that. I am looking out for a 3D printing guy in Sri Lanka. There should be for sure.

• Like 1

welcome and I wud love to see you. My no is 0094 716805900. Contactable always.

I am coming on a railway enthusiast's tour run by a company called THE RAILWAY TOURING COMPANY - maybe you should contact them and they could offer a visit as part of their tour.

Paul

• Like 1

I am coming on a railway enthusiast's tour run by a company called THE RAILWAY TOURING COMPANY - maybe you should contact them and they could offer a visit as part of their tour.

Paul

Thanks Paul. I haven't heard of them but will check out and contact them. If you do have a contact No pls share with me.Thanks again.

• 8 months later...

I am sharing new images of my HO scale model located in a small island called Kirala Island in Sri Lanka. Kirala Island is a few kms south of the capital Colombo.

This image is of the Demodera Railway loop. The train on the lower track has just moved out of the station and taken the loop, approaching a tunnel which is right below the Demodera station. The train above is moving out of the platform on its way to Ella.

Demodera is a popular town at 900m above sea level about 200kms away from Colombo.

20190208_132217.jpg.9d1903f71b6a52b10f7967aa0c43c786.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

3 trains at Demodera. Unusual for a quiet hill station but still workable due to the long double tracks at the station. The Sri Lankan upcountry service is a single line operation with multiple tracks only at stations. Demodera actually has 3 tracks but due to space constraints the model has only 2 tracks. Below the station is Tunnel No 42. the green bushes on the mountain is a tea plantation which gives you Pure Ceylon Tea .

20190208_162427.jpg.93d03158df57a5357b7b3fcb977074e2.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1