• RMweb Gold

In the summer, for his birthday, my boy got a Trampoline which came in a very large, very strong (double thickness) cardboard box. I thought it had possibilities for a small layout. It measured 42 inches x 16 x 8 inches deep. On the plan, the lid (with one side removed) is the scenic area. A portion of the base is attached to create a small fiddle yard. 

Upottery is a small village to the north east of Honiton, in the Blackdown Hills. So I have imagined a light railway, similar to the Hemyock line on the other side of the Blackdowns, running from Honiton up the Otter valley. The nearby RAF base is assumed to have continued in use after war so has provided enough traffic to keep it going. I'm going to model it in late 50's/early 60s, but early blue diesels might also make an appearance. 

Its going to be analogue DC, and uses Peco setrack, but DCC might be swapped in future.

post-26-0-93373500-1478724796_thumb.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I've already prepared the box...

The box sides have provided structural integrity, although I've also added some cardboard underneath. A little bit of emulsion from tester pots has taken out the cardboard colour. The backscene is a nice sky blue, and I may keep that. The result is very light and is fairly strong and stiff. 

post-26-0-24026400-1478728672_thumb.jpg

post-26-0-41269500-1478728683_thumb.jpg

post-26-0-90009200-1478728691_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, after a bit of a hiatus, a period of paternity leave has allowed me to catch up. Track has been laid and wired. Despite having been stored in a cupboard for nearly 12 months, the box is still in good condition.

post-26-0-20268900-1509229045_thumb.jpgpost-26-0-58105900-1509229075_thumb.jpgpost-26-0-14180700-1509229090_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, the last 12 months have seen some actual progress, most of it in the last couple of months. I'm afraid I didnt take many pictures during construction, but here are some showing whats happened.

The platform is from Metcalfe - a very easy kit to make. The station building is from Wills - the wooden construction and the size seemed just right. The Engine Shed isnt quite right - its the Wooden one from Bachmann Scenecraft, but just looks a bit overpowering. Ground Frame hut and Coal Yard are also from Wills.

Since these pictures have been taken, Peco flexible field fencing has been added to separate the railway from the field, and some fencing added to the platform (which needs to be painted). 

post-26-0-07629300-1546287275_thumb.jpg

post-26-0-49787500-1546287350_thumb.jpg

post-26-0-73279300-1546287390_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 16/08/2019 at 20:37, tigerburnie said:

Any progress on this John ?

Managed a fair bit over the summer, but just havnt got around to putting up the pictures - will do so over the weekend.

The title caught my attention. 

A very picturesque and familiar area from some good family holidays past. 

I am sure your aware the airfield was the one where the American 101st Airborne departed for the D Day landings. 

Interesting build. 

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Yes indeed, Ian.

In my what-if, the railway was upgraded for the war, to serve the airbase, and it was kept open by the RAF for a while afterwards. You may notice an RAF Scammel in the goodys yard collecting stuff for the stores!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hi. I've just found this (via your comments in Minories are made of this), a very nice concept. Though currently modelling in N, I've still got some OO, mainly SR, and hanker after some sort of layout. N probably wont be my final layout as my eyesight deteriorates, so OO will eventually become a necessity. Combining your ideas of corrugated cardboard, and Sophia NSE's use of foamboard, gives me something to factor into doodling ideas for the next one. Particularly as I'm still in the 2x1 and Sundeala age of baseboard carpentry and cannot saw / drill anything square. Plywood I cannot get on with at all, but anything I can cut with a Stanley knife or scalpel and straight edge I can cope with. Thanks for the ideas.

• 3 months later...