BRM Jan '17 + 2 FREE GIFTS!

SteveCole

• Administrators

Hi all,

The January 2017 issue of BRM is now available to download as a Digital Edition and will go on-sale in shops on Thursday (December 8th). It comes with 2 FREE gifts: a stunning Hornby Hobbies 2017 Calendar & a BRM TV DVD!

Click here to buy a copy online and to see some sample pages from this month's magazine.

Below I have listed what's inside this month's magazine. We hope you like it!

Steve & the BRM Team

post-14186-0-68505200-1480930341.jpg  post-14186-0-66545600-1480930352_thumb.jpg

FREE Hornby Calendar for EVERY reader!

FREE DVD with EVERY issue!

Layout: Oakley Green - BR Southern Region 1970s - OO

Modified RTR shunters - OO

Project Layout - Stamford East - OO

Interview - Hornby CEO Steve Cooke

How to modify a barn

Modifing diecast road vehicles

Layout: Saltdean - LBSCR 1880s - O

How to detail a Heljan Class 58

Prototype: railway signalling

Layout: A Nod to Brent - GWR 1947 - OO gauge

Coaching Stock

Prototype - Hitachi Rail Europe

Project Layout: Heaton Lodge - Eastern Region 1980s - O gauge

Kitbuilding - Mousa Models Elderly carriages

Hornby Product Announcement - Class 800 'IEP'

Review: Hornby Railroad Crosti with TTS Sound

Review: Dapol Class 08

Review: Hornby Maunsell 'S15' Returns

Review: Hornby Virgin East Coast '43s' with Sound

• RMweb Premium

My subscription copy arrived on Saturday and is the usual interesting read. The DVD has the problems mentioned elsewhere but I found my way around it in the end, so no harm done!

Those magnetic couplings look interesting but at that price it would take my budget for about the next five years so I don't think they will be fitted to my stock! The most important thing that was not mentioned is uncoupling which unless possible without the big hand in the sky renders them useless except for fixed rakes.

The silence is deafening isn't it Clearwater?And yet the adverts on this site clearly state a free calendar for ALL readers,

Andy

Only fair I reply here. I can only compliment Steve on his swiftness of reply. He PM'd me within 10 mins of my first post above and the item is in the post to me.

Mea culpa time. I was travelling yesterday and managed to accidentally post my original post twice. When I realised, I edited the post and stated it was a duplicate

David

So, what are your views on this month's magazine? The comments we've received have been really positive...

Don't routinely buy BRM, but thought I'd give this one a try, still in its bag yet though.

Hoping the blue 70s diesel layout is good.

• RMweb Gold

So, what are your views on this month's magazine? The comments we've received have been really positive...

I really like it. Think its heading in a good direction. My context is I read it on my extremely tedious commute so I'm looking for things to distract me from the sounds and smells of that journey into and around London. The more thought provoking the better. The traditional layout/how to/reviews/new products of all mags is a bit repetitive.

In this issue I really liked Gilbert Barnett's article, thought provoking on effective use of rolling stock assets and retirement planning! The Hornby interview was good and reassuring, important comms from them. Phil Parker's barn piece with the 4 options I also really liked - bit different but also do-able. Stamford East was also really interesting.

The signalling article was frustrating in some ways. Whilst I already get basic 4 aspect operations, I'm really keen to read up on the more detailed aspects of modern signalling with examples of operations and junctions etc. Follow up articles on this looking at different bits with examples and the modelling context would be a big winner for me.

Photography was excellent, love the double page "Headlights" photo and the photos in 'Nod to Brent' especially, both the shots and the larger prints of the shots in the page. One comment from me on layout pics generally is I always wonder why there is rarely an overview of the entire layout. I have noticed that having seen layouts in mags, when I see them in the flesh at shows they 'feel' totally different, as often the mag photos are close ups so you don't get the overall picture and feel of the layout.

The other articles were generally good but of less personal interest. Still read them.

Overall I really like it and I like ther increased amount of interesting reading (beyond "the baseboards were made of ply using the usual methods......!" to keep me distracted. Photography is great, large pictures in the mag are excellent, and there are quite a few modern image layouts I'd like to see re-photographed in this way. The factual articles like the Azuma one are good, but might be worth considering the balance between newsworthiness (Hornby announcing the IEP model) and the fact every mag is doing the same sort of thing. I'd suggest ensuring there are some background/factual articles not tied to news that every other mag will be covering.

I will continue my monthly subscription. Although I'm somewhat shocked to find my endless pearls of wisdom on RMWeb have not been printed on the letters page. Outrageous!

• RMweb Gold

I think it actually pulls off a near amazing mix of something for (just about) everyone. 

I would take issue with one or two things in Simon's signalling article where the distance quoted 'as between signals' seems to have got mixed up with braking distance with many 4 aspect signals on the GWML being considerably less than over a mile apart and regrettably (and I'm sure not down to Simon) the photo 'naming the parts' on SN248 seems to have gone well awry.  But these are just minor grouses in the context of a good issue overall.

One comment from me on layout pics generally is I always wonder why there is rarely an overview of the entire layout. I have noticed that having seen layouts in mags, when I see them in the flesh at shows they 'feel' totally different, as often the mag photos are close ups so you don't get the overall picture and feel of the layout.

It is a relevant point but one which isn't always achievable. Many of the non-exhibition layouts you see are in quite tight spaces where it's very difficult to get a context shot. An example is this one below of Robin's layout showing the scenic storage sidings; it explains a lot but it's not necessarily eye candy.

Detail1.jpg

Stuff me; there's the rhino!

Often wider scope shots aren't interesting enough (apart from that context consideration) but occasionally they are:

Feature3.jpg

Point taken though.

Of course if I'm going to see a layout at a show I'll see the overall view. I'll be unlikely to be able to see the close-ups, through-the-arches etc so I like to see these in the mag. I did enjoy this issue, there seemed to be more in it. Probably more to my interest. A bit fed up with the glue stuff ripping the cover. Why can't we go back to the glossy cover?

Ed

Curses! This attempt at a serious post has been beaten by a degeneration to rhino humour.

Was there anything specifically for the smaller scale modeller? The contents listing here gave the impression that it was all OO and O so I didn't bother to go out to find a copy to purchase.

I do appreciate that often general articles can apply to various scales and that inspiration and learning can be taken from layouts of all scales, but to have a few articles about the specific scale one models in is more attractive and helpful for those products and modelling nuances that are particular to the scale. And that way it would appeal to a wider market.

G.

I do appreciate that often general articles can apply to various scales and that inspiration and learning can be taken from layouts of all scales, but to have a few articles about the specific scale one models in is more attractive and helpful for those products and modelling nuances that are particular to the scale. And that way it would appeal to a wider market.

Not specifically N gauge but general articles include signalling and Gilbert's article on how to get more from your rolling stock and space. With 3 or 4 layouts in each month it's not always possible to get a balance across scale/gauge/era/geography that will appeal to all but over the course of a year hopefully we cater for the overall market balance (which is undoubtedly OO weighted) and to be honest the material offered or agreed to be published is representative of the market. Conversely, I'll hear comments such as "I didn't buy it because there seemed too much N gauge this month" so it's impossible to please all of the people etc etc.

Although I don't necessarily advocate building a model of a model I'm sure many N gauge modellers can look at a layout feature from another scale and think "that would look good in N" and come up with their take.

Anyway; we've got a layout I think you'll like next month Grahame, banger blue N gauge overhead electrics.

I'll hear comments such as "I didn't buy it because there seemed too much N gauge this month" so it's impossible to please all of the people etc etc.

Ahh, if such reasons are acceptable then I'm safe in saying and providing the requested feedback that I didn't buy it because there seemed so much steamy O/OO in this months issue and that I didn't consider it well enough balanced. But at least I can look forward to next months and perhaps consider purchasing that instead. :) 

G.

As it's soon Christmas, I might treat myself to the first purchase in many months of a model railway magazine, having stopped buying all of the possibilities because of either repetition of content, dumbing down of content, or lack of any content of any interest to me. It sounds as if this latest BRM might just possibly contain enough that is both new and is of a nature that interests me. The calendar adds a bit of value too. Time will tell regarding the disc.

The signalling article was frustrating in some ways. Whilst I already get basic 4 aspect operations, I'm really keen to read up on the more detailed aspects of modern signalling with examples of operations and junctions etc. Follow up articles on this looking at different bits with examples and the modelling context would be a big winner for me.

Hi,

The problem with writing an article on modern signalling is that every track layout is unique and there aren't many basic rules which can be followed in every single situation, so it would it have to be more of 'agony' aunt type column, but I believe that BRM have some articles coming up like you suggest, mine has more of a very basic introduction to signalling

I think it actually pulls off a near amazing mix of something for (just about) everyone. 

I would take issue with one or two things in Simon's signalling article where the distance quoted 'as between signals' seems to have got mixed up with braking distance with many 4 aspect signals on the GWML being considerably less than over a mile apart and regrettably (and I'm sure not down to Simon) the photo 'naming the parts' on SN248 seems to have gone well awry.  But these are just minor grouses in the context of a good issue overall.

Mike, there has been some editing of my article, which has meant a few errors and confusion in the text, here's the actual text to my article (the distances has been calculated using 'Appendix A' braking):

Do not underestimate the distance between signals. On a ‘OO’ Layout where the line speed modelled would be, in realty, 40 mph on the level, the signal showing Yellow and the signal showing Red should be at least 10,432mm (or roughly 34ft) apart on the model, and if you are modelling a main 125mph line, this distance (although now between the Double Yellow and Red Signals) increases to 26,956 mm (or roughly 88ft) apart! 

Equally the photos have been edited, so here's the correct image and labelling:

post-7271-0-94675500-1481396593.jpg

Sorry for any confusion!

Simon Paley

Signalling Article Author

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

The problem with writing an article on modern signalling is that every track layout is unique and there aren't many basic rules which can be followed in every single situation, so it would it have to be more of 'agony' aunt type column, but I believe that BRM have some articles coming up like you suggest, mine has more of a very basic introduction to signalling

Mike, there has been some editing of my article, which has meant a few errors and confusion in the text, here's the actual text to my article (the distances has been calculated using 'Appendix A' braking):

attachicon.gifSN248.JPG

Sorry for any confusion!

Simon Paley

I was pretty sure you weren't at fault Simon but at least attention has been drawn which is the main reason I dropped the hint above.

Steve might however care to note that there is a need for 'educated care' when editing technical (which includes signalling of course) articles.  I suspect the best approach is either to not cut things out - which I appreciate can present space problems - or set a 'number of words' length which while putting the author in a bit of spot does mean an article ought to be able to go in unedited if it is well written.

Hi,

attachicon.gifSN248.JPG

Sorry for any confusion!

Simon Paley

You are far too young,to become an Agony Aunt columnist , Simon.

Archived