Benson a what if layout!

spiket4

Hello All,

Well after a house move and a first layout struggling to take off. I have decided to start again with a different era layout. It's only at the planning stage at the moment but hopefully work will start over the Christmas break.

The Backstory.

The Watlington and Princes Risborough Railway company opened the line in 1872, after failing to link the town's of Wallingford and Watlington.

In 1883 the railway was taken over by the GWR with new track being laid (fact). In 1904 the Great Western Railway company sort permission to extend the line to Wallingford. Permission was given to extend the line as far as Benson. So in 1906 the link to Benson was finished and the line gained other halts built at that time (fiction). The GWR built a small station at Benson to there standard style rather than copy the style of the other stations on the line. A small goods shed and cattle dock were also built along with a coaling stage and water tower. The Great Western Railway company still had plans to reach Wallingford and link up with the line there.

The Year 1958.

The Line is still open for now, it has escaped closure plans but only just. The planned extension to Wallingford never happened so Benson has become the terminus of the Watlington branch line. Now under BR Western region control, the line is kept open mainly by freight and passengers for the nearby RAF base.

Passenger services

Classic Class 14xx loco's and autocoaches are used on local services with the odd 57xx standing in. A service to London Paddington is also operated using a Class 45xx and a couple of Hawksworth or Collett coaches.

Freight is taken care of by 57xx and 45xx loco's.

Like i said the layout is still in the planning stage and nothing has been finalised.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and views and any advice.

Regards Mark

Edited by spiket4
  • Like 6

In the 70s I attended a couple of Open Days at RAF Benson with my Mum, who volunteered with St John's Ambulance. Had there been such a line, and had it remained open until then, such days would be a great excuse for massively increased passenger traffic ! Look forward to progress.

• 5 months later...