X9181 ?

bike2steam

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Hope so. Will soon find out with the accurascale Deltic 

To be frank, there's no excuse in this day and age, why nylon/plastic gears should split if they are made and assembled properly.

The odd thing about the Hornby WC gears is that it's usually the chunkiest one that splits. I've so far only had one axle gear fail.

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

To be frank, there's no excuse in this day and age, why nylon/plastic gears should split if they are made and assembled properly.

The odd thing about the Hornby WC gears is that it's usually the chunkiest one that splits. I've so far only had one axle gear fail.

John 

With regards to the W/C/Battle of Britain classes and split gears, I believe that this is no longer an issue, as it was addressed on recent releases by Hornby starting with the Okehampton model.

35 minutes ago, cbrooks122000 said:

So why doesn't Hornby sell them as uprated parts? I notice on my Schools Class locos that the front bogie pickups have been redesigned from the earlier versions, but do Hornby sell the new uprated one as a spare, no they don't, they don't carry any spares of these. 

Simply because on the R3*** series of models the mechanism was changed.

The new gears will not fit the old 2005 onwards W/C and BoB class.

This information came direct from Hornby customer services.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

31 minutes ago, cbrooks122000 said:

So why doesn't Hornby sell them as uprated parts? I notice on my Schools Class locos that the front bogie pickups have been redesigned from the earlier versions, but do Hornby sell the new uprated one as a spare, no they don't, they don't carry any spares of these. 

Unfortunately, readily available spares from Hornby has been a bone of contention for some time.

At least Dapol and Accurascale will be stocking spares, something Hornby might like to mimic in the future.

I know full well now which companies will be getting the Lions share of my budget from now on.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

With regards to the W/C/Battle of Britain classes and split gears, I believe that this is no longer an issue, as it was addressed on recent releases by Hornby starting with the Okehampton model.

Thanks, that's a few I shouldn't need to worry about....

I trust the same improved level of reliability also applies to the spares produced for earlier models since then?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

8 minutes ago, cbrooks122000 said:

I recently have been converting my old Bachmann locos to DCC. As there are split chassis that means taking them all apart so that I can machine to make space for the decoder and make suitable space around the motor connections to stop them "shorting out" on the chassis. I broke a couple of plastic bits getting them apart, age harden plastic that just snaps off. I thought I will never get those from Bachmann. Surprise, surprise they did have them, admittedly I had to buy the whole valve gear for two bits of plastic, but it was tons cheaper than buying a new loco. 

TBH, Bachmann are in a different league to Hornby when it comes to stocks of spare parts.

I've always found them really helpful when I've had to source difficult to find parts.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

Thanks, that's a few I shouldn't need to worry about....

I trust the same improved level of reliability also applies to the spares produced for earlier models since then?

John

John,

I'm not aware of any defects with the newer versions.

That said, I never had any problems with the older versions of these locos, where clearly other people did.

Maybe I was lucky in this respect.

• 3 weeks later...

My dad and I currently have the same problem, our engine was kept brand new in storage for nearly a decade and was taken out of the box for its first test run and just sat the their going rererererreerererererer with great purpose. Obviously the 10 years in storage didn't help, (it was in a stable dry environment) but is there any solution other than scrounging some replacement Hornby gears from some dark corner of the web?

Douglas

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

My dad and I currently have the same problem, our engine was kept brand new in storage for nearly a decade and was taken out of the box for its first test run and just sat the their going rererererreerererererer with great purpose. Obviously the 10 years in storage didn't help, (it was in a stable dry environment) but is there any solution other than scrounging some replacement Hornby gears from some dark corner of the web?

Douglas

The gear set you require is actually X8849. A number are available on eBay at the moment.

• Informative/Useful 2