Digikeijs DR5000 Wi-Fi and what to connect to!

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Has anybody set up the Digikeijs Dr5000 to use a Wi-Fi connexion?

What have you used it for & how?

I am looking to use a Samsung Tab A as a hand held throttle and wonder if I could use an Android throttle app. to control the DR 5000.

Cheers

Keith

Hi all

Has anybody set up the Digikeijs Dr5000 to use a Wi-Fi connexion?

What have you used it for & how?

I am looking to use a Samsung Tab A as a hand held throttle and wonder if I could use an Android throttle app. to control the DR 5000.

Cheers

Keith

Hi Keith

Yes connected it to a spare router and it works great using Rocrail RC-cab

Norman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Keith

Yes connected it to a spare router and it works great using Rocrail RC-cab

Norman

So what's the router connected to?

I could go from Tab to router and router to PC but that doesn't include the DR5000

Keith

Hi Keith

The router needs to be configured as a stand alone device.  I should say I'm no expert and needed help from a computer wiz at the club.

and unfortunately not all modems are created equal, some like the spare ones I had at home were hardware configured to work with a PC (EE and BT) and could not be used.

But my friend bought one on ebay for £10 which he was able to use independently so that a device which in my case is a samsung mobile running an app called Rocrail RC-cab communicates with the DR5000 via the modem.

Norman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Keith

The router needs to be configured as a stand alone device.  I should say I'm no expert and needed help from a computer wiz at the club.

and unfortunately not all modems are created equal, some like the spare ones I had at home were hardware configured to work with a PC (EE and BT) and could not be used.

But my friend bought one on ebay for £10 which he was able to use independently so that a device which in my case is a samsung mobile running an app called Rocrail RC-cab communicates with the DR5000 via the modem.

Norman

I was rather hoping one could just hook up a device via Wi-Fi directly to the DR5000.

I've got several old wireless routers that are left over from upgrades ADSL > ADSL2 > Fibre, I'll have to try one.

Cheers

Keith

I was rather hoping one could just hook up a device via Wi-Fi directly to the DR5000.

I've got several old wireless routers that are left over from upgrades ADSL > ADSL2 > Fibre, I'll have to try one.

Cheers

Keith

That should be the case especially if you have a wireless router or modem router. Early modems, and this is going back to dial up days often required a seperate router. I would expect at least one of your leftovers from the various upgrades would be OK and you do not need an Internet connection to simply communicate between devices on what is a LAN.

Richard

Is this the sort of thing you wanted to do?

post-30665-0-39696200-1482839390_thumb.jpg

(My Z21 in the diagram is equivalent to your DR5000)

If this is what you want to do, then it's quite straight forward (Assuming everything has the relevant capabilities - The most important part is the WiFi Router that connects to the Internet).

Your issue/need has been discussed a lot in this thread:   http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/63888-roco-z21/page-19

You will see that @Dutch_Master Posted on 12/Dec/2016 at 02:10 that there is a diagram about how to do it on the Z21 website (But never cited the reference).  I suggest you go to the above thread, and ask for the reference.

Once you have the document referred to, if you have any difficulties understanding what you need to do, just let me know.

_____
The reason you can't connect a Throttle directly to you DR5000 is because the DR5000 is a Network Client, and expects to connect to a Networking Controlling device (The Router), rather than another Network Client Device (The Throttle).

That's a bit like having a Trailer that gets towed by your Car.  And someone else wants to connect their Trailer to your Trailer, and they didn't realise that Trailers only connect to Cars, rather than to anything that goes on the road (I trust you understand my analogy).

The diagram shows that WiFi devices can connect to either Router.  There is no limitation, other than you can't connect to 2 Routers at the same time (A bit like wanting a Trailer to be towed by 2 Cars at the same time - You just don't/can't do that).
Edited by RailCom_Fan

• 5 months later...

I see this is posted a while back, but yes, the idea is you just connect wirelessly to the DR5000 with no other "stuff" needed. You don't need WiFi routers or anything, just the DR5000's built in WiFi to a tablet.

The issue is there are no apps yet. TouchCab are working on supporting it directly with WiFi but as for Android, you'll need to wait a while I'm afraid!

Currently, you have the option of connecting it to JMRI and then using Wi-Throttle, however, I am having limited success with DR5000 and JMRI right now... 

• 10 months later...

​you need to change the DR5000 protocol to Z21/Xpressnet and then set the address of the app you are trying to connect into the DR5000 to the address of the DR5000 or you can switch the DHCP server in the DR5000 on and create an SSID and Password for the wifi. Then you connect your tablet/phone/miultimaus to the SSID and the DR5000 will issue an ipaddress.

You can then use the Roco Z21 app to control everything on an iPhone/iPad or android phone/tablet :)

• Like 2