The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Mornington Crescent 2017

MarcD

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The Stovipedia website has been updated this morning to state that for only the 2nd time in history, the Worshipful Company of Merrymakers will meet in full session.  Regular players of  the game will recall that in Jan1945 a full session was called to discuss how the game should be played at the end of the Great Unpleasantness so there is precedent.

All rules and innovations since 1973 will be subject to scrutiny, and two years hence any such changes may find themselves repealed.

The arch-Taosich of York and the 4th Moderator of Webness have reminded the Worshipful Company of the need to avoid internal politics.  In accordance with these wishes The Grand Vizier Of The Stove has taken an executive decision that may dismay traditional members who still play by correspondence.   Any game still in progress at the deadline will automatically become null and void.  This decision avoids the needs for ANY political discussion but is bound to upset some members who have been corresponding by telegram since before the Coal and Steel Union, the 5th Republic, and even the first attempt to beatify Stephen Fry.

The Grand Vizier believes that no telegrams have been exchanged for some time so is sure things can indeed be settled in the space of 2 years. 

Sam and Sven both believe they may have to find new partners when the two years have elapsed, but feel they have plenty of time to vet suitable contacts.

• RMweb Premium

Oh my goodness.  Such things are seldom heard of.

In which case the only possible answer is a diagonal shift to that lesser-celebrated locale of CALEDONIAN ROAD

And we've had a letter from a Mrs Trellis of North Wales. She writes, "Dear Sir Steve, I'm looking forward to seeing Oxford and Cambridge rowing this weekend. I do like a good argument."

In response I make a half strile to Hanger Lane.

• RMweb Premium

Hark!  I hear the Division Bell 

Methinks the Member for Llandysul hath been listening to his Pink Floyd again.

Accordingly I shall visit SHEPHERD'S BUSH MARKET and Wish You Were Here

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh well played Sir.  What an outstanding first move and correctly omitting Terminal 1 to boot.In view of that I shall have to apply Cryer's Transverse (1973(ii)) and take us to

LEYTON

• RMweb Premium

I think that the wild card that Barry gave me is needed here more than ever before - thanks to him, I can unlock a lot.  So with the Cryer's Cross in play, I can go Metro to

RAYNERS LANE

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Friday afternoon, and P.O.E.T.S. is definitely setting in, so time for a desperate move to keep me awake.

MILE END

As Stovolds says:

'millennium variation
A variation popular at the last millennium. Surprisingly, the game in the time of King Ethelred the Unready was little different from today’s Ancient Standard Rules, so as you would imagine the Reverse Diagonal was seldom applied in consecutive play. However locations East of Shoreditch were liable to incur the infamous Danegeld Penalty.'

I'm just hoping I won't incur such a penalty in the modern game.

Edited by Jamiel