Wrexbury Marsh TRSMD PAUSED! to be continued.........................

Jintyman

Wrexbury Marsh TRSMD.

I've been busy with my Talyllyn Project, which is my 'Stay at Home' layout, it furnishes my desire for a time in railway history that was very interesting and it brings some operational uniqueness with it. I have also been busy on the work bench and burrowing away with various things there. Unfortunately, something was missing, I am a person who is never satisfied with just one project, I need diversification and a small change of scenery now and again. Not only the above, but I've quite fancied building an Exhibition layout to trawl around a few shows. After my illness last year, I was given a kick up the preverbial that life isn't forever, and if you don't do things when you want to, you'll never do them.

So I had to think, what do I want to do? How big? What scale? And is it feasable?.

My spotting days were from 1976 to the late 80's, just as the first class 60's were emerging and liveries were 'interesting', hence my previous OO layout Wrexbury Marsh in OO. I pondered with going back to OO, but quickly put that to one side once I thought about the scale I'm currently modelling, the prescence and bulk of the locomotives and the opportunity for detail. You'll of all noticed some of the modern stuff arriving on my WB of late, some have even asked questions or summised!!

I couldn't run main line express trains although I like quite a lot of the larger diesel classes, so that narrowed the choice down somewhat.

So 'Wrexbury Marsh TRSMD' is born. I'm using the same name as my previous OO layout as the area is still the area I want to portray so why not. Again it will sit on the English side of the Shropshire/Wales border and be within a fairly close proximity to the old Oswestry town and off the Chester – Shrewsbury line. A totally ficticious location, but with some extra traffic generated by envisaging that the old Brymbo steel works remained open and paying for itself, and the cement traffic from Padeswood. All this giving an excuse for the area to have a new depot built alongside the main line but out of view, servicing locomotives from the Chester, Wrexham, Shrewsbury, Wolverhampton and West Midlands area.

The Loco Depot

The depot would be set in an urban environment within the town of Wrexbury's overall area, set down with a retaining wall behind as the town was at a slightly higher level.

The depot itself would be a fairly medium affair, with servicing and light maintenance being the order of the day. Diesel classes of 08, 20, 31, 37, 45, 47, 56 & 60 would all be seen, based in a period from 1984 through to 1992.

I'm envisaging that the depot will be 5 roads wide, of which 3 will be terminating and 2 through roads.

The Wagon Depot

The wagon depot would be in the same proximity as the loco depot, albeit separated by a road bridge. The arrival road will be alongside the depot and will require the wagons being propelled under the bridge and into the wagon repair sheds. I say sheds as there will be two wagon repair sheds, one old brick structure with one road and a large covered machine shop area to one side (By Phil at Intentio) and a basic servicing shed (again from Intentio) that will be pretty much side by side. A smallish warehouse for parts storage will also be on site, as will an overhead crane for the relevant lifting duties.

The Overall Design

The total size of the layout will be 24' x 2'6” with a 5' sector plate at one end which will feed a bolt on 4 road fiddle yard behind the backscene. This should provide a reasonable working of both locos and wagons of various designs calling for remedial work/servicing, etc. I'll be using the Lenz system with Roco Multimaus slave controllers, and plugs on the front so interaction can be had.

I am making the boards myself, I haven't finalised my decision as to how they are to be made, but transportation isn't a problem for the layout at all, and I want it to be on a rolling rack system like 'Lime Street' so I can store it in a corner of my garage when not in use.

I am not foregoing Talyllyn Junction, I will be keeping that going, this is going to be in addition to it. I feel I have the abilities to complete this project, well I'll have to as I've already had my first show invite for July 2018!!!!

I have various locos 'on order', awaiting the JLTRT 47's and the Heljan centre box 37's and the Peak. I already have a few 'in stock' but will need significantly more.

I have had the Heljan Diesel Depot on order for a long time with this all in mind, and it (with it's additions) arrived the other day, so I'm going to have to make a start very soon.

post-14906-0-93936600-1485027981_thumb.jpg

This project is one that I'm really looking forward to getting my teeth into and I should see all the boards and handbuilt track laid by the end of summer (as well as the work on Talyllyn). Although there won't be many updates (just any things appertaining to this layout) over the next couple of months, once the weather picks up, I will get cracking with gusto!!

Thank you for taking the time to read my 'War & Peace' introduction, I hope it hasn't bored anyone, and if there are any questions I will try to answer them.

Regards All
Jinty ;)

Edited by Jintyman
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

hi Jinty,

Well you had me sat on the edge of my chair going, "oh he's not?" ... "oh he can't be" .... "oh no, surely not that" ... "oh thank god he's not!"  That all surmised the end outcome of what gauge you were going for of course!! Glad to see your sticking with O gauge and the whole project sounds good, and one from which we shall expect high standards.  As for completing it by July next year ...well if you adopt the Andy P method of working, you'll be complete by April 2017 :)

29' by 2.5' is quite a nice size for exhibition use I would have thought - long enough to explore different avenues, as you've described, but narrow enough to be easy to handle.  Well done mate, looking forward to following along with sarcasm and whit ... well you go with what works, and I don't have your modelling skills!!!  Seriously tho, nice background and plan to the whole thing, we need a track plan to visualise it!  The Heljan diesel depot parts look quite interesting too...

Rich

PS if you think that's a 'war and peace' intro - wait till you see Arksey!!! :)

• Like 2

Crickey mate, I wasn't expecting that, good grief man where will it go, in the Garage next to Tallywhatsit?

I really, NO I MEAN really, like the Heljan Depot Buildings, this is going to well worth watching, BOOK ME  A FRONT SEAT.

Not to put anymore pressure on Jint's but Wrexbury Marsh TRSMD first exhibition will be -

RAILEX NE 2018 - Celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the Blyth & Tyne Model Railway Society.

28th & 29th June 2018.

Full details will be on our website as and when they become available - http://www.railexne.com/

Knowing the quality of Jint's modelling I know Wrexbury will be a 'Show Stopper' so come along and see a Masterpiece in operation.

Regards

Chris

• Like 2

Not to put anymore pressure on Jint's but Wrexbury Marsh TRSMD first exhibition will be -

RAILEX NE 2018 - Celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the Blyth & Tyne Model Railway Society.

28th & 29th June 2018.

Full details will be on our website as and when they become available - http://www.railexne.com/

Knowing the quality of Jint's modelling I know Wrexbury will be a 'Show Stopper' so come along and see a Masterpiece in operation.

Regards

Chris

SO,    No pressure then Chris!  :O    hahahahha :no:  :no: :no:  :scared:  

• Like 2

Crickey mate, I wasn't expecting that, good grief man where will it go, in the Garage next to Tallywhatsit?

I really, NO I MEAN really, like the Heljan Depot Buildings, this is going to well worth watching, BOOK ME  A FRONT SEAT.

Thanks Andy,

Wrexbury layout will sit on its cages in the new shed, once it's built, and if I want to put it up at home it will have to be on the patio!

Jinty ;)

28th & 29th June 2018.

Regards

Chris

Thanks Chris,

No pressure then eh?

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

David,

I've followed Talyllyn since you started, and have enjoyed, and learned, from your workbench too. This is an unexpected new departure, which I shall watch with interest!

Good luck with it!

Simon

Thanks Simon,

Hopefully I won't dissapoint,

Talyllyn is not stopping, I believe it will move on better if I've got two things going on!

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

Always nice to find a new layout thread. I like the sound of this Jinty.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter,

I will be putting bits on this thread but the main flurry won't start until the warmer weather.

Wow exciting stuff Jinty, I'm really looking forward to seeing those Heljan Depot building assembled. Good luck with this additional venture.

Simon

Thanks Simon,

I've had a sneaky look at the depot buildings and the finish looks excellent. they also should be able to be detailed very nicely, and also interior lighting will have to be thought of during the building process. I'm really looking forward to this build though, and I've already got a few diesels to get me going.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Great stuff Jinty I've been expecting you do do something new for a while ;) haha

Really looking forward to it although a tiny tiny bit jealous you'll have two layout to my 0!!

Can't wait for more :)

• Like 1

Crikey Jinty you're up early, I'm at work on an early turn watching all the shoe gear arching on the frosty 3rd rail, what's your reason for being up?

Defrosting the wife's car for work, then a bacon sandwich and an early start in the garage (Wife is on a 12 hour shift!!!).

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

Great stuff Jinty I've been expecting you do do something new for a while ;) haha

Really looking forward to it although a tiny tiny bit jealous you'll have two layout to my 0!!

Can't wait for more :)

Thanks Paul,

You are always welcome to bring something for a bit of a run!!

Jinty ;)

Defrosting the wife's car for work, then a bacon sandwich and an early start in the garage (Wife is on a 12 hour shift!!!).

Jinty ;)

Sarah's on a 12 hour shift "again" !!!!! .... so I take it you won't be hoovering and ironing today then ?  :whistle:

I look forward to seeing these Heljan Depot thingys on Thursday .................... do you reckon they'd do for a DMU depot ?????  :O

Best regards

Craig

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 2

Sarah's on a 12 hour shift "again" !!!!! .... so I take it you won't be hoovering and ironing today then ?  :whistle:

I look forward to seeing these Heljan Depot thingys on Thursday .................... do you reckon they'd do for a DMU depot ?????  :O

Best regards

Craig

Ironing and hoovering done......................... washing in the machine as we speak.................... Now to alter the dining room table's look with some gratuitous application of weathering powders!! Oh dear, more on the table than on the model!!!

You can suss them out on Thursday, 

They are very nice but a little modern in application for a Western country branch!!

Jinty ;)

Thanks Andy,

Wrexbury layout will sit on its cages in the new shed, once it's built, and if I want to put it up at home it will have to be on the patio!

Jinty ;)

Thanks Chris,

No pressure then eh?

Jinty ;)

Definitely no pressure Jint's!!!!

Remember to bring the booking form to Pontefract on Saturday.

Regards

Chris

• Like 2

Hi Jinty

This I'm really looking forward to. I always mourned the demise of Wrexbury as you had absolutely nailed the location and atmosphere along with all that lovely sectorisation stock. Glad to see a rebirth of sorts albeit in 7mm scale.

Should be a good one.

Following along now

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1