Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium

Injector overflow, too see if the injector has 'picked up '. To operate the injector you turn on the water and then the steam and watch to see when the water stops coming out of the overflow as it's then going into the boiler.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

27 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Injector overflow, too see if the injector has 'picked up '. To operate the injector you turn on the water and then the steam and watch to see when the water stops coming out of the overflow as it's then going into the boiler.

And to think I thought he was just checking they hadn't run over the yard cat!

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

I bought my Mainline pannier 40 years ago- you have made yours look really up to date , I must resurrect mine!

Am I right in thinking the miniature KNP has stopped surveying the potato field?

2 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

I bought my Mainline pannier 40 years ago- you have made yours look really up to date , I must resurrect mine!

Am I right in thinking the miniature KNP has stopped surveying the potato field?

I’ve just checked and I am still leaning on the fence...

Glad you liked the loco, there is no internal detail hence the reason the crew is blocking most of the view to the interior!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you want to hide the lack of backhead detail in a Mainline 57xx, as well as crew in the cutouts to block the view you can model the sliding shutter that these locos were fitted with to protect the crew from crosswinds if the loco was standing in an exposed location.  This is moulded in the fully open position, just visible in line with the handrail knob, but could be slid backwards to line up with the cab door.  The current Bachmann tooling still has this, and shutters were fitted inside the cabs of 8750s as well.  All you need is a sheet of plasticard glued in position; this is about as basic a modelling exercise as you can get! If you want to be fussy you can include the handle, but nobody'll see it.  

Replacing the chassis with a current Baccy, which I'd suggest is worth doing anyway for the better running even if your Mainline hasn't thrown a wheel out of quarter or worn at the stub axles, gives you a backhead with full detail, but of course you can still model the sliding shutter in whatever position you like.  I have done it to one of my 8750s, 9681, and it is fairly effective at suggesting inclement weather!  Same goes for 14xx, 64xx, and 94xx.  Larger GW tank engines had them on the outside of the cab, which makes modelling them in any position other than fully open as the body is moulded difficult.  Providing the new shutters is easy, but cutting the old one away and restoring quite a large area of cabside surface is going to be a problem.  This is an area where manufacturers who provided this as an add on detail would be doing us a service and make it easier to model prototypes in earlier condition before they were fitted (1920s I think), and I'd like to see this done with top feed covers on the smaller engines as well.  The pricing of locos deze daze means that the percentage cost added to the retail price would be very small.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

If you want to hide the lack of backhead detail in a Mainline 57xx, as well as crew in the cutouts to block the view you can model the sliding shutter that these locos were fitted with to protect the crew from crosswinds if the loco was standing in an exposed location.  This is moulded in the fully open position, just visible in line with the handrail knob, but could be slid backwards to line up with the cab door.  The current Bachmann tooling still has this, and shutters were fitted inside the cabs of 8750s as well.  All you need is a sheet of plasticard glued in position; this is about as basic a modelling exercise as you can get! If you want to be fussy you can include the handle, but nobody'll see it.  

But of course the Little Muddle micro-climate is always 'Glorious' so closed shutters would just look silly :D

• Agree 1

Waiting for clearance to leave the bay platform for a test run to Little Muddle...

Dean Goods 2534 nearing completion, funny but I didn't notice until recently that this model doesn't have any buffer beam numbers! 

IMG_0148.jpg.d5c77abf31bbad96399861176de50f08.jpg

Edited by KNP
  • Like 18

A few things still to do.

Real coal to tender.

Numbers to buffer beams.

Bit more weathering

Canvas roof rolled up.

1949.jpg.4b92ebba6b1386e90e96e806d1252cdf.jpg

Edited by KNP
  • Like 17

Well. I'm about to embark on a most illuminating project...

Another of the strip lights has packed up so I have decided to bit the bullet and replace them with LED's.

Fitting retrospectively is going to be interesting so we'll see how much of the layout gets flatten by the snake like coil!!!

IMG_0167.jpg.ba41604a5fbdea983d1d8682b71b03ae.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg.bb56005fbf1d1426c22d13b6644e5933.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg.1c15c91d384fded600e272031ec2a68f.jpg

For the technical minded of you.

LED type SMD 5630 which is dimmable.

Double banked version giving me 240 LED's /metre.

Colour - White

All held off the layout with these little plastic clips that will need to be fitted on the reverse side of the lighting pelmet.

Gone for the dimmable version just in case they turn out to be too bright.

Testing them in the kitchen they are indeed bright so the dimmer switch was a good move.

Well I didn't think it would be easy so I might be gone a while....!!!...???

Edited by KNP
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Dimmer was deffo the right way to go IMHO.  My lights are led anglepoises from the late lamented Maplin’s, 3 of them at £25 a pop but I’m pleased with them.  They have 3 settings for colour, cold, warm, or mixed, and 3 for brightness, so are quite versatile and can be used to suggest different weather or seasons.  As the railway is, by happy coincidence rather than intention, orientated similarly to the real Dimbath valley that my railway purports to have been located in, natural lighting can be utilised at the appropriate times of day and season as well. 

The ability to to use the anglepoises as ‘fill’ lighting when natural light is being used is a further bonus!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1