Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Yes, they’ve gone back with it to Cambria to find out how to get the jib up!  

It appears the jib self lifts up and then the pins between the long arm and short arm (with holes in for different tasks) get removed and relocated at the the setting needed.

Each of the holes has marking on for Travelling (which is what mine is set for), 21ft, 19ft, and 16ft radius lifts, came across some pictures posted on the RMWeb of a crane in the Forest of Dean by bubbles2 back in 2014 under thread heading Cambrian GWR Crane - very useful sequence of pictures of a then battered and rusty old crane but with lots of answers.

Said it many times before and say it again - a picture paints a thousand words.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 5

1 hour ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Oo errr missus they look good and fiddly - might get some off Justin, couple of packs might do.

Thanks for the heads up

Edited by KNP
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

That crane looks great Kevin. Was it straightforward to build?

The trucks where easy and to a standard build.

The jib however was fiddly, the lining up the four pieces was a patience trier.... and even then one piece moved when I left if to dry so I had a bit of filling/filing to do.

Crane body/mechanism was actually easy but due to the lack of decent pictures became head scratching.

This was where those pictures I mentioned earlier came into play along with posts of completed models on other threads (chuffinghell on his Warren Branch very useful)

I have taken pictures of the entire crane build and plan to post on here for for others to use in the future.

It is a lovely model of an unusual piece of GWR rolling stock, recommend for those looking for a travelling utility crane designed to be used for freight at yards that don't have one. 

Currently in the paint workshop.

Edited by KNP
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

Yes but has PC Plod been able to catch the little so and so's (other appropriate words are available) who threw the previous lot into the harbour. No good buying another lot if there only going to end up in the briney as well. You need to crack down hard on this sort of behaviour. I understand that is was nerdowells who broke the engine shed door.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 1
  • Funny 5

Well done, mine is stalled at present due to other commitments. (Mostly the need to earn a living and the weather is still nice so we're going out on the bike at every opportunity) 

I will have to get it finished and painted now!

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Limpley Stoker said:

I’m probably too late to comment but I think the crane looks magnificent without transfers as the moulded plates look very crisp and compatible with your expert weathering. 

Big debate going on in LM paint shop as to what transfers to do, if any.

At the moment the crane will not have any but the match truck might do though I can’t find any definitive answer.....

Might finish the weathering,  couplings and chain then park while I decide/research more.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Would a tiny bit of white paint on the moulded plates, bringing out the detail, help inform a decision?

Done...Thanks for mentioning

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

51 minutes ago, KNP said:

What size was that piece of wood I needed?

Now, where have I put that piece of paper with the dimensions!!!!

3161.jpg.7b880082b9ce9f4c6fdc77d89892640f.jpg

Could you send me a price list for that wood Kevin there's some bits there that will do nicely for my new shed ....period prices of course :jester:

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

31 minutes ago, gismorail said:

Could you send me a price list for that wood Kevin there's some bits there that will do nicely for my new shed ....period prices of course :jester:

Of course....

• Funny 1

It would have been pitch pine / Douglas fir back then, properly seasoned. Almost unobtainable now. What we have now for the same price as steel is fast grown, kiln dried firewood which has knots, shakes (splits) and curls into artistic shapes if unsupported. Which is why I went down the all plywood route building my new baseboards. 

You don't want to hear my thoughts on MDF or medium density firewood - it's not very good as firewood either:D

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7