Little Muddle

KNP

8 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Absolutely epic!  That would make a lovely picture book for a Christmas present!

Thanks.

I’ve often thought of doing a photo album as a pictorial journey through Little Muddle but never got around to it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Always leave them wanting more. ;)

What will happen when the rain stops? :derisive:

Someone will have to do a lot of mopping up, that leak in the model room roof, really needs fixing soon!

Seriously though, a very evocative account. When my layout is built and the scenery fixed I'll try doing a 1960s version! (Don't hold your collective breathes, we are talking some 12 months hence!),

Cheers

Paul

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic Kevin.

I notice you've managed to get some really low down shots in places I didn't think you could fit the camera, is this due to your new patented boom arm, or have you found another cunning plan?

Al.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

It is time to ring in a change.

To often this been got out the box only for something else to come along, but not now (well for the moment!)

Snowflake has been started......

IMG_0982.jpg.a49d3b6f9ee30236efc0e06b2dfbaf13.jpg

IMG_0984.jpg.c100efa182676bf5ddca73a17e0f5766.jpg

Spent ages getting the hull flat on the waterline, moulding issues to a couple of ribs, base of stack and some odd casting holes but other than that a nice, easily filed Clyde Puffer model from Gramodels.

Ready for painting.

I will post randomly as work progresses, I suspect it will be slow - Misty took nearly two years of on and off work, and other things will surely come along.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 19

12 minutes ago, KNP said:

It is time to ring in a change.

To often this been got out the box only for something else to come along, but not now (well for the moment!)

Snowflake has been started......

IMG_0982.jpg.a49d3b6f9ee30236efc0e06b2dfbaf13.jpg

Spent ages getting the hull flat on the waterline, moulding issues to a couple of ribs, base of stack and some odd casting holes but other than that a nice, easily filed Clyde Puffer model from Gramodels.

Ready for painting.

I will post randomly as work progresses, I suspect it will be slow - Misty took nearly two years of on and off work, and other things will surely come along.

That looks all white Kevin, will it come in other colours?:no:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

As I think it was me who originally mentioned 'Snowflake' to you, I'm delighted that this feature of my father's pilot apprenticeship in the 30s is being represented.  The Pier Hotel, I think, one of the harbourside pubs in Ilfracombe anyway, has some photos which despite being black and white might give you some idea as to her livery.  Father reckoned she was basically a lump of coal dust with a rattle towards the stern and a mast sticking up.  Coal for Ilfracombe gas works was her most common cargo for down channel trips; I've no idea what she brought back up to Penarth but farm produce of some sort was probable.

If you can get to 'Combe, the Pier does a first class skate in batter'n'chips.  

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The painter's and decker's have been around to the boatyard and this the current state of Snowflake.

IMG_0991.jpg.9ee0586264a1a69e7a53f269bd925533.jpg

Deck along way from being finished and it already has, in order of application, Lifecolor cold base colour, warm light shade, warm dark shade, cold light shade and a wash of Vallejo roof dirt.

Now I really need to that thoroughly dry overnight otherwise I might starting reactivating the previous coat when adding another one!!

Present thinking is a worn black hull with white rubbing strakes and gunwhale.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

That's first class stuff, Kevin.  I'd go for black hull, red lead below waterline, with white or cream lettering for the name and registry.  I think she was registered at Ilfracombe, but wouldn't like to make that as a statement of fact.  Superstructure and inside surface of gunwhales sort of mustardy yellow, wheelhouse varnished timber at a guess; I feel this more likely than the dark red you have used.  Funnel probably plain black, unless better information becomes available.

She had a reputation for breaking down and needing tows to get out of trouble; the Bristol Channel, especially the bits you can see an open horizon from, is a somewhat lively environment for a Puffer, designed for sheltered firths and sea lochs reached by canals or passages between sheltering islands.  She was badly underpowered and not fast enough to cope with the Bristol Channel's ferocious tides, so no wonder she got into trouble!  I'd expect her general appearance to be decidedly down at heel and perhaps a bit battered, much more so than Misty, and you've imbued her with tons of character.  

You will no doubt make a superb job of her, and I'll follow with interest...

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1