DEMUS in SED jaffa cake

den250

Just a question as I'm sure in the late 80s early 90s the Hastings to Ashford line was part of the SED so if this is the case why were the demus painted from blue grey to nse and not the Jaffa cake livery I think they would have looked good in it

• RMweb Gold

Just a question as I'm sure in the late 80s early 90s the Hastings to Ashford line was part of the SED so if this is the case why were the demus painted from blue grey to nse and not the Jaffa cake livery I think they would have looked good in it

Jaffa Cake was short-lived. I think I saw the artist's idea, with several other options, moments before Gordon Pettit, then Deputy General Manager, examined them and approved Jaffa Cake. It was heavily used to promote the electrification of the Hastings Line, with a new identity replacing the blue/grey of the DEMUs, so the stock for that route got priority. A few other L&SE units also benefitted. But by 1986, with NSE about to launch, repainting for the sake of it was no longer a priority. It would also be fair to say the 3-car DEMU fleet was always a Cinderella, because it ran routes of low use and low priority. 

• RMweb Gold

Jaffa livery was for London & South East Sector (what effectively became Network SouthEast). So it should have appeared on all sorts of units but I think it only made it on to refurbished CEPs and 309s.

Jaffa livery was for London & South East Sector (what effectively became Network SouthEast). So it should have appeared on all sorts of units but I think it only made it on to refurbished CEPs and 309s.

There were a few CIGs in Jaffa Cake livery and one or two MLVs as well.

• RMweb Premium

Also some MLV's and the first dozen or so refurbished Phase 1 17xx series 4-CIG's, the latter of which were repainted again in NSE colours in a matter of months.

Archived