Taff Vale Brake Vans

As the topic description says I'm searching for how long did the GWR keep Taff Vale Railway Goods Brake Vans going? Were they quickly phased out or did they survive to be repainted into GWR colours?

I've already drawn a blank searching the RMweb forums

TIA

Tim T

• RMweb Premium

I think it is possible that the late Harold Morgan transcribed renumbering and withdrawal details for TVR goods vehicles from the official records. He did so for the RR and Barry. An e-mail to the Welsh Railways Research Circle might give you an answer. (website: http://www.wrrc.org.uk/

Jonathan

If they had steel solebars they would have lasted a long time, probably into BR days . Wooden solebars and they would have been short lived. The GWR didn't like wooden solebars.

Edited by Penrhos1920

The NRM has the GWR wagon registers for 0 to 100000 (the higher numbers are, I understand, at Kew). There are tens of thousands of pre-group company wagons in these registers which show the history of each and when they were withdrawn/renumbered the GWR standard wagons which used the same numbers. There has been very little published from these complex records. If they survived to become GWR your vans would be in these.

Fascinating but hard work to go through!

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Taff Vale brake vans were numbered in a block 6301 - 6449, a few having a "0" prefix. The GWR gave them numbers in the block 68765 - 68913. A lot went pretty quickly, and the last few survivors 8/1932, it appears. Most of the TVR freight fleet lasted much longer.

The TVR had alot of goods wagons that were built with steel underframes. I don't know alot about the total TVR good stock but post 1923 the GWR went through the Cambrian's stock with a large axe and chopped most of their wooden underframed stock.

Marc

The TVR had alot of goods wagons that were built with steel underframes. I don't know alot about the total TVR good stock but post 1923 the GWR went through the Cambrian's stock with a large axe and chopped most of their wooden underframed stock.

Marc

I started looking at a lot of their low drop-sided opens. A batch of 100  were quite new in 1923 and had long lives, either for stone traffic, departmental and mostly for container traffic - ever wondered what the GWR used for containers before what became the standard Conflat A was introduced? The big Tourret book is very wrong about these rarely recorded wagons. Unlike the flat conflat wagons used by the LMS and LNER (often conversions of earlier stock) because the TVR wagons had sides they weren't used for official photos of the GWR containers. I really must stop messing about and get back to finalising writing this stuff up.

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

• RMweb Premium

The Registers Paul refers to are the ones the late Harold Morgan went through and transcribed for several of the South Wales companies. However, as far as I can see from the last edition of the WRRC handbook he didn't do the TVR.

Jonathan

The Registers Paul refers to are the ones the late Harold Morgan went through and transcribed for several of the South Wales companies. However, as far as I can see from the last edition of the WRRC handbook he didn't do the TVR.

Jonathan

When I enquired of the WRRC about TVR wagons a couple of years ago I didn't get any positive response. There is a  lot of information in those registers at the NRM.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Right. Thanks to Tony Miller I have some information, though I do not have permission to post the full list which was compiled by the late Harold Morgan.

Basically the GWR withdrew some immediately; the longest lasting was 4399 withdrawn 12/38

4536 lasted until 8/36

6430 was withdrawn 4/35 and 4325 in 3/35

Four more lasted until 1934.

For the others there is a spread of dates between 1922 and 1933.

Hope this helps. I am afraid I know nothing about TVR brake vans and therefore cannot link numbers to diagrams.

Jonathan 

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Brake vans TVR nos 6301-6449 appear to have been renumbered in order from 68765 upwards. Another sheet I have describes them as all Diagram 11 though i don't think that can mean that they were all the same, perhaps simply that they were brake vans. Mike Lloyd shows Mineral brake van nos 6403-6412 of 1891 as having steel underframes

Jonathan