The Marlborough Branch

Alcanman

It's been quite awhile since I visited The Marlborough Branch and it seems there have been quite a few changes!

The customer who was served on the trailing spur has gone and the track has been lifted. This has also resulted in the run around siding no longer being required.

CSX local B724 will simply shove it's train from Marlborough Junction into downtown Marlborough to serve the remaining customers.

However, some of the run around siding remains in place, being used occasionly as a transload track.

Here's the revised track plan.

post-7898-0-19718700-1508425444_thumb.jpg

Progress pics to follow.....

Mal

• Like 4

Track has been cut and pinned in place. Just needs some final tweaking and then will be glued in place.

I'm thinking of adding a third warehouse, disused, with abandoned track. I'm trying to create a more urban look than the original layout.

I've been very much inspired by Roger Nicholls 'Union Avenue' layout.

post-7898-0-33042200-1508578896_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-31256200-1508578929_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Mal - Hadn't checked on your thread for a while and was a bit surprised to see that you'd changed things around and eliminated some track and structures.

You mention adding an unused warehouse and abandoned spur to the plan, which would fit just great where the trans-load facility used to be and would of course create a view block for your staging. But you've probably already thought of that! One of the features on my under construction end of branch theme layout will be an abandoned grain elevator and spur, which could be found in many small towns in the late 70s - early 80s. Seems to add interest to the scenery to have something like that.

Will be watching progress on this revised theme with interest. Your work is always inspiring. Always enjoy the videos too!

Ed

Thanks for the kind and encouraging comments, Ed.

Yes, I'm looking for a suitable structure to provide a view block where the old transload track used to be. Probably another warehouse.

After a few switching sessions, I'm already enjoying operating Marlborough Mk2. The short runaround on Marlborough Mk1 resulted in over complicated, un-prototypical switching moves which became a bit tedious.

I'm hoping to start painting the track today. Thanks for following.

Mal

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been working on the right hand end of the layout and decided to restore the run of trees and water tower.

Having decided I wanted more  old style brick built buildings, I bought another DPM modular kit to create a warehouse canyon to act as a view block.

post-7898-0-47593800-1511185766_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-84304900-1511185840_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-43510900-1511185887_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-35726600-1511185924_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Really looking good! Love the overgrown look you've achieved! Want to do something like that myself, as the prototype location my layout is based upon, was very overgrown in its last years of operation. In a couple of photos from a book I purchased, you can barely see the rails on the three yard tracks and only see a hint of ties and ballast.

Although I have far more stock than I need for a small layout, I can't resist a bargain.

I picked up this MDC Roundhouse BN FMC covered hopper for £6.00 at a recent exhibition. The kit had been made up and Kadees fitted. Recent Athearn Roundhouse RTR releases retail at over £20.00!

Unusually,for a BN car, the end panels and end cages were painted silver.

With a bit of weathering these old models can still look good. My New Year's resolution is to improve my weathering skills, which are far too inconsistent at the moment.

post-7898-0-58634500-1512556615_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I've been focusing on weathering lately and after watching weathering tutorials on YouTube have come to the conclusion that we can learn a lot from military modellers, who seem to have weathering off to a fine art!

Thought I'd try some AK Interactive washes to finish off some boxcars, with quite pleasing results.

post-7898-0-10336800-1513081360_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-23834700-1513081414_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-11963500-1513081446_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Really looking good!! Love the weathering and the realistic look of your layout. Far better and prototypical than some of the horrid "switching puzzle layouts" that I've seen lately with a dozen switches and one car spurs squeezed into a small area.

AK Interactives are good products. I use them for my son's military kits. I'll try them on my trains too! Good idea!

AK Interactives have a few products designed for Railroad Modellers.

I used this set. .https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AK-Interactive-7000-Weathering-Set-Trains-Locomotive-Wagon/232119882489?hash=item360b6c52f9:g:wksAAOSw9VRZ4ywG

For this covered hopper I added the 'rust streaks' wash.

post-7898-0-80348200-1513160196_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-64404200-1513160233_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've been focusing on weathering lately and after watching weathering tutorials on YouTube have come to the conclusion that we can learn a lot from military modellers, who seem to have weathering off to a fine art!

Thought I'd try some AK Interactive washes to finish off some boxcars, with quite pleasing results.

attachicon.gifmb 12.12.17 002.JPG

attachicon.gifmb 12.12.17 003.JPG

attachicon.gifmb 12.12.17 004.JPG

I discovered Vallejo washes fairly recently....., in my local agricultural engineers supply of all places ! They do give quick results. Desert wash is great for easily creating sun bleached UP locomotives. Your results look great by the way.

Really looking good!! Love the weathering and the realistic look of your layout. Far better and prototypical than some of the horrid "switching puzzle layouts" that I've seen lately with a dozen switches and one car spurs squeezed into a small area.

Got to agree with you! I recently looked at a plan which had 10 turnouts, including a 3-way, 11 spurs and a run around. All in a space of 90ins x 18ins!  I've heard of the 'switchman's nightmare' but that would drive insane!

These type of plans also seem to get a very posiitive reaction from followers.  I just wonder if those who design these layouts ever get round to building and operating them.!

Thanks for the kind comments.

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 1