Hull sprinhead and botanic gardens

18B

just reading a modern railways issue from oct 1957. it says that DMU's went to Springhead, was this a different depot to Botanic gardens?

It certainly was. Springhead was the ex Hull & Barnsley shed, whereas Botanic Gardens was the ex North Eastern Railway shed. Mick Nicholson of this parish will no doubt be able to add far more detail when he becomes aware of this post.

Davey

• Like 1

Nothing to do with the topic, but didn't Hull get some wonderful names for railway facilities? Paragon, Botanic Gardens, Springhead, Dairycoats... The rest of the country largely had to put up with things like "Central" and the occasional "Victoria".

• RMweb Gold

If you click on the East Yorkshire railways thread link in my signature it will take you to the East Yorkshire Railways thread which Mick has made many contributions to, including Springhead as well as Botanic Gardens. I hope you will find it interesting and be of some help to you.

Best regards,

Rob.

Many of the early allocation of DMUs for the Hull area where allocated to Springhead, this was due to Botanic Gardens depot not being ready for at the time. When the work was completed at Botanic the units and staff were transferred from Springhead to Botanic.

Al Taylor

• Like 1

Springhead depot was at the bottom of our garden and the sounds of the steam railway sent me to sleep every night - including the barking of shunting instructions over a tannoy system. These sights and sounds were so familiar that I hardly noticed them but then one day in the late 1950s the strangest of sounds caught my attention. It was some time before I eventually realised they were DMU horns - and the whole world changed. But then, I were nobbut a lad.

Ian

Edited by clecklewyke
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 22:53, clecklewyke said:

Springhead depot was at the bottom of our garden and the sounds of the steam railway sent me to sleep every night - including the barking of shunting instructions over a tannoy system. These sights and sounds were so familiar that I hardly noticed them but then one day in the late 1950s the strangest of sounds caught my attention. It was some time before I eventually realised they were DMU horns - and the whole world changed. But then, I were nobbut a lad.

Ian

Hi Ian, I was brought up on Willerby Rd in the mid 60's (a little later than your memories) and regularly played on the rusting tracks of Springhead and Barchards woodyard up to the Springhead Lane bridge. I also vaguely recall the engine shed at Springhead still standing - large pale blue wooden doors? My memory may be wrong on the door colour, but the sheds were long abandoned by then.....

I always wondered what it was like to see and hear locos on those rusting rails - the nearest I got to see were the occasional coal trains serving the nearby coal yard on Calvert Lane (now also lost under housing too).

Chris.