Foxfield Summer Gala 2017, anyone?

A Look at the Foxfield timetable for this year shows the summer gala is scheduled for the 14/15/16th of July.

How about having a meet-up of RMweb industrial modellers on the Sunday?

• Like 2

Noticed that the Foxfield website is saying that the gala is over two weekends this year, including 22/23 July, is this the case, or a typo?

Shall be returning from a fortnight driving on the Talyllyn on 16th July, might just have to suggest we go via the A50 rather than our usual route along the A38 this time...

Cheers,

Andrew

No the website is incorrect. We're working on an update to the website so this should be corrected soon. It is a three day gala however over the 14th - 16th July.

Thanks for the clarification. Hope you get it sorted soon!

If I don't mar the summer gala, shall try to make sure I head over for one of the other events.

Cheers,

Andrew

I will (hopefully) be there, is the railway wheelchair friendly? I will be bringing our lass, she has some mobility but needs her chair to get any distance.

Pete.

Hi Pete

Yes we have plenty of accessibility for wheelchair users at caverswall road and on the Mk1 coach set. Unfortunately wheelchair users cannot access the knotty coaches at present. There won't be an issue at Foxfield Colliery either except for toilets which may not be wheeelchair friendly.

Unfortunately it's difficult to know if a visiting lpco is going to be reliable until we try it. The demands at foxfield sometimes highlight unknown issues with otherwise reliable engines.

Hi Nigel, The Foxfield Railway is one preserved railway I would really like to visit and so far its escaped me. Youtube footage of the sights and sounds of locos attacking the incline is spectacular. One thing I would like to know is which locos are being overhauled at the moment for use on the Foxfield line?

Regards

Guy

Hi Guy,

We currently have two locos in the very last stages of overhaul, Wimblebury and Eustace Forth, both of which should be back in traffic for the gala. We anticipate up to 7 locos in action over the gala including a visitor.

Following that we have dismantled the last surviving inside cylinder peckett in the uk Ackton Hall No3 with a view to a full assessment and overhaul. Bagnall' Florence No2 is stripped for overhaul and Hawarden is well on the way to a return to steam in the next 12-16 months after major boiler work. So lots to look forward to.

Do come and visit for the gala, you won't be disappointed if you enjoy engines doing what they were designed to.

• Like 1

Hi Guy,

We currently have two locos in the very last stages of overhaul, Wimblebury and Eustace Forth, both of which should be back in traffic for the gala. We anticipate up to 7 locos in action over the gala including a visitor.

Following that we have dismantled the last surviving inside cylinder peckett in the uk Ackton Hall No3 with a view to a full assessment and overhaul. Bagnall' Florence No2 is stripped for overhaul and Hawarden is well on the way to a return to steam in the next 12-16 months after major boiler work. So lots to look forward to.

Do come and visit for the gala, you won't be disappointed if you enjoy engines doing what they were designed to.

Nigel,

Thanks for that info, I really will try to get to the Foxfield Railway this year. You've also got a few 4 wheelers in the carriage department as well I see - that also ticks another box for me.

Best wishes,

Guy

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

That's me seen inspecting the brake blocks and getting back on the ugly at the start of the video. That was a good charter in the morning with blue skies and plenty of steam.

Were you checking that you still had some?

Sounds great

Andy

Were you checking that you still had some?

Sounds great

Andy

Yup pretty much. We were just about constantly up and down the bank without pinning any wagon brakes and the loco's blocks were starting to cook! I was checking tyres weren't overheating and blocks weren't too hot.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just over a week to go to the start of the THREE DAY!! gala.

Preparations are well advanced, Wimblebury is now in plain blue livery and has had her original pressure gauge repaired and refitted and the timetable is being finalised and will be up on here once it is checked.

post-8705-0-07699700-1499243951_thumb.jpg

post-8705-0-93857700-1499243958_thumb.jpg

Come and say hello, I will be happy to chat if I can, I will be driving all three days! (I'm going to need a week to recover, specially as I have the early turn on the Saturday for a charter with Sir Gomer starting at 7.30am at the colliery!)