Foxfield Summer Gala 2017, anyone?

Just over a week to go to the start of the THREE DAY!! gala.

Preparations are well advanced, Wimblebury is now in plain blue livery and has had her original pressure gauge repaired and refitted and the timetable is being finalised and will be up on here once it is checked.

attachicon.gif19620196_10211729219897469_8798398484545931705_o.jpg

attachicon.gif19657469_10211714952860802_3899209174408654390_n.jpg

Come and say hello, I will be happy to chat if I can, I will be driving all three days! (I'm going to need a week to recover, specially as I have the early turn on the Saturday for a charter with Sir Gomer starting at 7.30am at the colliery!)

Roster now changed and I'm not on the early turn on Sir G on Saturday... phew!

Any idea if the road works on the A50 may impinge on travel from the East?  I believe it's shut this weekend between Uttoxeter and Blythe Bridge, hopefully next week it will be contraflow at worst! 

Other routes are available of course - but they're a bit more convoluted!

Sir Gomer has arrived and the vinyls for transforming Whiston into Dilhorne No3 are being picked up later. All looking good and we're hoping that a late minute issue with Eustace Forth's regulator will be easy to sort.

Hi Nigel,

Is the Hawthorn Leslie a visiting engine, or a home loco that has recently been put into service? I've never seen it before.

I'll be there on Saturday, so i hope you have booked some good weather.

I went yesterday and had a really good time. Its worth the walk from the station (Dillhorn) down to the colliery site, about 10 to 15 minute each way, this is the first time I have walked down and watching a double headed train thrashing up the bank was glorious!

post-20690-0-34166800-1500128720_thumb.jpg

Found a number of engines in the sidings there ready to blast up Foxfield bank with a freight train.

post-20690-0-22548100-1500128399_thumb.jpg

The Dubs crane tank looked superb.

A really good day and excellent work by the volunteers.

post-20690-0-40134700-1500128781_thumb.jpg

Only one criticism, the catering at the main station was chaotic, I qued for 20 minutes and finally gave up. The problem being all meals were being cooked to order with limited staff. Catering can often provide good profit margins at preserved sitesk, Foxfield need to think about ways of increasing its food throughput.

Edited by Norton961
  • Like 5

I went yesterday and had a really good time. Its worth the walk from the station (Dillhorn) down to the colliery site, about 10 to 15 minute each way, this is the first time I have walked down and watching a double headed train thrashing up the bank was glorious!

attachicon.gifDSC_1888.JPG

Found a number of engines in the sidings there ready to blast up Foxfield bank with a freight train.

attachicon.gifDSC_1874.JPG

The Dubs crane tank looked superb.

A really good day and excellent work by the volunteers.

attachicon.gifDSC_1873.JPG

Only one criticism, the catering at the main station was chaotic, I qued for 20 minutes and finally gave up. The problem being all meals were being cooked to order with limited staff. Catering can often provide good profit margins at preserved sitesk, Foxfield need to think about ways of increasing its food throughput.

The catering is franchised and not in direct control of the railway but they were aware of the issues. We were also slightly embarrassed at the number of visitors following our exposure on BBC Midlands today which caught us out! On Saturday and Sunday we had to stop running the Knotty coaches as they didn't have capacity for the sheer number of passengers!

Thanks to all who cam along to support us, I'm sorry I wasn't able to stop and talk to those who said hello, in all it was a successful weekend and a big boost.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The catering is franchised and not in direct control of the railway but they were aware of the issues. We were also slightly embarrassed at the number of visitors following our exposure on BBC Midlands today which caught us out! On Saturday and Sunday we had to stop running the Knotty coaches as they didn't have capacity for the sheer number of passengers!Thanks to all who cam along to support us, I'm sorry I wasn't able to stop and talk to those who said hello, in all it was a successful weekend and a big boost.

Bbc coverage and your own promotion through rmweb.

Seriously, Mr Hughes.... When planning his visit said he was trying to find timetables and what's running and he found your RMWeb posts more informative than the societies web site.

Andy

Can't complain Nigel, as it's bums on seats that keep preservation going. It just goes to show what a little bit of TV coverage can do! Glad it was a good gala for you's

Best

Guy

• RMweb Premium

On Saturday and Sunday we had to stop running the Knotty coaches as they didn't have capacity for the sheer number of passengers!

I did wonder what you were going to do about that. The coaches were pretty full on Friday.

The Knotty trust have had their latest grant application approved so work can start in earnest on the accessible Brake Third for the rake, but it still won't be enough to cope if we have another weekend as busy as this one. We may look at introducing a pre-booking system for the Knotties at galas to avoid overcrowding although we did manage to fit 88 in the two coaches on Sunday

I am glad I went on Friday as I managed to get a seat in the NSR coaches and even then we left passengers on the platform. An excellent job has been done on the restoration of these 2. The gala was excellent and congratulations to the railway.

I keep forgetting that there's prototype content in this corner of the forum.

A very enjoyable visit last Friday. Aiming towards an advertised opening at 8am, I was questioning the wisdom of my 5am start, so quite relieved to find the site open when I arrived to collect my wristband. Worth getting there early to see the locomotives being readied in the shed yard (apart from the two that had already been sent up the line).

The gala itself was well organised - plenty of movements to fill out what might otherwise have appeared to be a sparse service. The helpfulness and friendliness of staff and volunteers made for a very pleasant atmosphere. Despite the numbers of visitors, I was still able to find a quiet spot on the bank (though by the early afternoon, the crowds in the field were a sight to behold) and get a seat in the Knotty set.

Thank you, Nigel for the link to the timetable elsewhere on this site.

This event was brought to my attention by reading the above thread and, never having visited this railway before, my son and I decided to give it a try (alright, I concede that it was prompted in no small measure by my interest in industrial locomotives and collieries).We were both absolutely captivated by the line itself, the locos and the rolling stock. The sight and sound of the trains ascending the 1 in 19 gradient out of Foxfield colliery is simply spectacular. Both of us, as volunteers at the MHR, were struck by an overheard comment by another visitors that the Foxfield railway offers an opportunity to observe steam locomotives doing what they were specifically designed to do. It was an absolutely brilliant day and, we thought, well worth the journey up from Hampshire.

• Like 3