FiNetrax (and any other trackbase system)

• RMweb Gold
Good morning all.

I am just getting to grips with some FiNetrax bits and pieces that I bought last year and which, despite my being a member of EMGS, is my first attempt at any kind of track construction.

The turnout kits don't look as if they will pose any insurmountable problems (fingers crossed) and there is some good online advice to help with those.

What I would like some help with is how to build the plain track in greater lengths than the 120mm at a time that the trackbuilding jig allows for. I have no problem putting together a scale 60' track panel in a couple of minutes using the jig, but efforts to extend the length constructed have so far led to the rail bending under pressure and to the sleeper spacing distorting.

Any advice and suggestions gratefully received. And please assume that you're speaking to an idiot.

Thanks

Jon

I haven't used a jig for plain fiNtraX and easitrac and found sliding on the panels relatively easy. You do need to 'dress' the end of the rail to ensure it is burr free. Then my advise, from one idiot to another, is to take your time and have patience in sliding the sleepers along and jigling the sleeper spacing.

G.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Graham. Could I ask, as a supplementary stupid question, do you thread a long length of rail onto one side of the bases and then thread the second rail to match, or do you thread both rails at the same time, alternating between the two and evening things up as you go along?

Thanks Graham. Could I ask, as a supplementary stupid question, do you thread a long length of rail onto one side of the bases and then thread the second rail to match, or do you thread both rails at the same time, alternating between the two and evening things up as you go along?

When I built fiNetrax plain track, I slide each sleeper base moulding onto a pair of rails; trying to thread a rail all way through a long length of chairs would probably require quite some force because of the friction involved, and keeping it all (relatively) square and straight would probably be very difficult.

• RMweb Gold

When I built fiNetrax plain track, I slide each sleeper base moulding onto a pair of rails; trying to thread a rail all way through a long length of chairs would probably require quite some force because of the friction involved, and keeping it all (relatively) square and straight would probably be very difficult.

Thank you. That makes good sense.

• RMweb Gold

Very impressive Nick. That idea had crossed my mind some time ago, but I'd forgotten it. My modelling seems to occur at sporadic intervals with lots of simple processes having to be learnt over and over again, and usually through similar mistakes. It's a sort of Groundhog Day with added Butanone.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks everyone. I've had another go at it having thought about the advice above, and have managed a 10" piece of reasonably straight track, which is a good step forward. I don't need too many lengths longer than this at the moment, so all is well. Back to the turnouts now...

The trick is to feed the sleepers onto the rails rather than vice versa. Support the rails on a board of similar height to the jig, hold them down close to the edge, then use the jig in a shuttling motion to push the sleepers onto the rails.  

I use the jig and I've found a couple of things help. The first is to only put two bases in it so that there isn't too much resistance. The second is to take the bases out of the jig as soon as the rail passes through the last chair and then move them the rest of the distance along the rail by pulling the rail rather than pushing. This prevents the rail from buckling. Finally, once the full length of rail is assembled I put it loosely back into the jig at various positions to straighten any slight bends and even out the sleeper spacing.