08's, freight & the main line

I have already posted this photo elsewhere on another thread, but here is the weekday trip from Taunton arriving at Bridgwater,

this trip ran for several years from about 1975 to 1980. 

post-7081-0-42112800-1497892639.jpg

08281 at Bridgwater 12/9/80

Also posted before on another thread is the Colchester to Hythe CCD trip

post-7081-0-98053800-1497892909_thumb.jpg

08228 at Colchester with empty 21t hoppers. 12/2/81

Here is a class 08 in the north west at Warrington out on the main line

post-7081-0-46108800-1497893013_thumb.jpg

08815 on a trip from BSC Monks Hall with empty BDAs 23/3/82

And another class 08 at work in South Wales

post-7081-0-98383500-1497893184_thumb.jpg

08352 arrives at Pengam sidings from Cardiff Tidal with steel on BDAs, it will run-round and head for the GKN Castle Works (if I have my geography right)

cheers

• Like 6

I seem to remember an 08 was used on passenger specials at Salisbury.

Ran from Salisbury to the Laverstock loop and back to Salisbury.

Not long distance but still a passenger working!

No pictures, but I can vouch that they were not uncommon. It could happen from several different causes: burst armatures; differential adhesion when working very hard; etc. There was speculation in another thread that the rods were deliberately designed so as to bend at forces lower than those that caused the cranks to shift.

K

I have always thought that the rods on an 08 looked rather spindly.

• RMweb Gold

I seem to remember an 08 was used on passenger specials at Salisbury.

Ran from Salisbury to the Laverstock loop and back to Salisbury.

Not long distance but still a passenger working!

That would be a special... but were there some IC departures from Brighton behind a Gronk. This was to allow a reversal during track works years back?

Griff

Thanks for all the info and pics one and all; as usual the forum has come up with some absolute gold.

This combined with the info gained from my previous post about dmus and freight wagons has provided some interesting modelling scenarios for my small n gauge layout

• RMweb Gold

I have drawn attention to this set of photos in my gallery here in another thread, but as potential uses for 08s seem many and various I thought I would share them here. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/4096-modern-1990s-onwards-miscellaneous/

I was waiting on the up platform at Oxford for a train to Paddington, when this collection of rolling stock rolled in travelling in the down direction. It was led by the 08, followed by the 47, then a coach which I assume was being used as some sort of barrier or coupling and finally the DMU. I guess that the DMU had failed, the 47 had been sent to the rescue and then failed. The 08 had then been borrowed from the Osney PW sidings to haul the whole sorry lot into Oxford.

Edited by phil_sutters

If you want a minimum length train - there used to be a single coach hauled by an 08 between Plymouth and Laira Depot.

The (Up) Penzance to Paddington sleeper leaves Penzance late at night and passes through Plymouth at an antisocial hour.  FGW used the 08 to haul a single sleeper coach from Laira Depot to Plymouth in the evening, allowing punters to get on the coach and get settled well before the remainder of the train arrives.  This coach is then marshalled into the sleeper train when it arrives and it all travels to London.

The Down Sleeper did the same in reverse - leaving a coach in Plymouth in the wee small hours.  This coach was then taken back to Laira in the morning.

I don't think they do this anymore - but it was definitely happening in 2002.

Will

• RMweb Gold

Not to sharp as they are screen shotsattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

08 at Waltham st Lawrence on GW main line on a Saturday morning attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

And Didcot 08 on stone train at Moreton yard.

The upper picture looks at though it might be just west of Waltham Sidings (The railway locations were, in order heading westwards - Maidenhead West, Waltham Sidings, Shottesbrook, Ruscombe, and then Twyford East.

The lower picture is rather interesting as the 350 gives the appearance of heading down the Up Relief Line (at Moreton Cutting, the yard had long gone by the time that picture was taken).  I immediately wonder if the 350 has actually been out to recover the back part of a stone train which could potentially be the one on which a wagon axle broke one night in, I think, the area west of Goring.  (And is it an 09?)

Most likely burst motors due to overspeed. This would often cause bent rods/shifted cranks due to one axle stopping whilst the others keep turning, or at least try to...

I wonder if anyone has a pic of an 08 with bent rods?

Not a bent coupling rod but below is a pair of 08's at Downham after one coupling failed when travelling at speed between Kings Lynn and March depot.

0858008713.jpg

• Like 6

The upper picture looks at though it might be just west of Waltham Sidings (The railway locations were, in order heading westwards - Maidenhead West, Waltham Sidings, Shottesbrook, Ruscombe, and then Twyford East.

The lower picture is rather interesting as the 350 gives the appearance of heading down the Up Relief Line (at Moreton Cutting, the yard had long gone by the time that picture was taken).  I immediately wonder if the 350 has actually been out to recover the back part of a stone train which could potentially be the one on which a wagon axle broke one night in, I think, the area west of Goring.  (And is it an 09?)

08954 I think. Yes stone train derailed in cholsey station towards cutting.

• RMweb Premium

If you want a minimum length train - there used to be a single coach hauled by an 08 between Plymouth and Laira Depot.

The (Up) Penzance to Paddington sleeper leaves Penzance late at night and passes through Plymouth at an antisocial hour.  FGW used the 08 to haul a single sleeper coach from Laira Depot to Plymouth in the evening, allowing punters to get on the coach and get settled well before the remainder of the train arrives.  This coach is then marshalled into the sleeper train when it arrives and it all travels to London.

The Down Sleeper did the same in reverse - leaving a coach in Plymouth in the wee small hours.  This coach was then taken back to Laira in the morning.

I don't think they do this anymore - but it was definitely happening in 2002.

Will

All this from memory, which might be playing me tricks:

This stopped when the FGW franchise was renewed.

There was discussion of losing the sleepers entirely from the new franchise - they stayed, but without the cost of the separate Plymouth section.

To my surprise, this stopped when the new franchise started, without waiting for the next timetable change. I suppose technically it wasn't a timetable change because  the Plymouth departure/arrival times stayed the same, though of course the time you could board/leave the sleeper changed dramatically.

I think though that not that long before the end there was a while when they didn't 'run' the separate coach because someone ran over the shore supply cable. The time taken to repair it seemed somewhat unreasonably long.

Hello Stationmaster 

In all the years of spotting between Reading and DIdcot the only BR Blue 350 I can honestly remember seeing with the high level Air pipes was 08850.

Seen here at Reading 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/90285366@N05/15808114816/in/photolist-q5UHMJ-egjkA2-bJ4w24-JozsjA-RKf25m-r2S8pP-UNG541-o495oL-nnyRWh-5ZrMDp-nZhv7W-mwofLU-QKG3d7-ST3VBK-nskvV5-5MGeJE-MYDRSg-fQkykM-zKR5iJ-h3iW2g-kuqQP8-SYqoZd-9AYGr1-HLJYYy-oL3Gxi-S5yp5m-gik4FG-AF1YtS-GSMoaW-AF21yo-oFNmV4-HUuvjS-F8cAfk-H88LNz-gikKse-wmPxfg-kSDi98-zEw5ZS-KjXxvt-KU2KKy-ag1Gse-6h5Lwr-Vk1NyJ-RukKF9-aqXUnP-bCzGNR-7ouuXM-6gpdcM-pMDhNU-URkYAi

Seen here at Didcot

https://www.flickr.com/photos/d1059/16430016225/in/photolist-r2S8pP-UNG541-o495oL-nnyRWh-5ZrMDp-nZhv7W-mwofLU-QKG3d7-ST3VBK-nskvV5-5MGeJE-MYDRSg-fQkykM-zKR5iJ-h3iW2g-kuqQP8-SYqoZd-9AYGr1-HLJYYy-oL3Gxi-S5yp5m-gik4FG-AF1YtS-GSMoaW-AF21yo-oFNmV4-HUuvjS-F8cAfk-H88LNz-gikKse-wmPxfg-kSDi98-zEw5ZS-KjXxvt-KU2KKy-ag1Gse-6h5Lwr-Vk1NyJ-RukKF9-aqXUnP-bCzGNR-7ouuXM-6gpdcM-pMDhNU-URkYAi-bGbTvX-e9p4A9-bYZuf5-esAWcy-niL1QS

The only other 350 with High Level Airpipes I can think off was 09101 (EX 08833) the first of the conversions from 08 to 09. But I'm pretty sure this was in Engineers Grey.

Seen here at DIdcot 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/isispics/6177624240/in/photolist-apTWsL-axMAqL-UTTsoF-dBM95X-oShnKx-6XoSKi-9v1Eh7-FjxgKj-nugebE-atQ3M4-bityei-8smTRY-brAPWk-dUBtJs-7Bn3CC-ah6FZ5-71vNU9-5kDuCu-9WNFV9-9LWMZs-bABwDC-gPa8a5-eCNTMH-9LU1mc-9LU1o6-4FbDkF-qYgPvk-S1omt4-dLuM2C-8GTMaw-bnddiV-gPa8H9-9LWMUo-4Kvf55-5YFzNG-8CAVLZ-fCEFqM-9cKGDX-sa1DH7-3s7MAy-3xFSGz-c3vNRS-4k3zWK-5HQh7F-nqtM3u-TML2H8-7uunen-8raxU3-548FCh-8y1777

Hope this helps 

Trailrage

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all,

My contibution is an 08 (sorry I don't have number) at Burton Salmon hauling MGRs from (I assume) Milford sidings or Gascoigne Wood to the depot at Knottingley.

Regards, Ian.

post-32776-0-53394100-1509453123_thumb.jpg

Edited to remove refernce to South Milford.

Regards, Ian.

Edited by iands
  • Like 2