Holmes Road.

P.C.M

Time for an update. 

Last night I powered up the 3 point motors and all seemed to work fine, power feeds have been soldered to the track and I have also started to build a traverser. My original plan was to have part of one board and another smaller board to hold the traverser, but this started to give me some worries on how it would actually work and at the end of the day was only saving myself 2 ft. I have now started to build a new 4ft board for the traverser and replaced the cut out section on the main board and relay some track. I have also replaced the cut away sleepers removed from improving the Peco points.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-76656500-1523353280_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-90142600-1523353314_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-64238300-1523353346_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Peter,

Looking good.

The Peco point upgrade makes all the difference to the look of the trackwork.

There is a product available that is laser cut and drops into the crossing vee to reduce the wheel drop with Peco points and makes running smoother. I think it was shown on Two Tone Green's thread 'St Davids' in the 7mm section a little while ago. Quite in-expensive for such a marked improvement.

Keep up the good work, that 45 looks great by the way!!!

Jinty ;)

The Point improvement is well worth the effort Peter, I have done the same on Pen Y Bont, by cutting out the 3 sleepers completely and replacing them with 3 from flexi Track, but had to remove 3 chairs from the curved rail. 

All coming along nicely mate.

Hi Peter,

Looking good.

The Peco point upgrade makes all the difference to the look of the trackwork.

There is a product available that is laser cut and drops into the crossing vee to reduce the wheel drop with Peco points and makes running smoother. I think it was shown on Two Tone Green's thread 'St Davids' in the 7mm section a little while ago. Quite in-expensive for such a marked improvement.

Keep up the good work, that 45 looks great by the way!!!

Jinty ;)

Thanks Jinty.

I was never happy with the out of the box point so removed as much as I could, I did manage to stuff one up though I couldn't get it working well after trying to fix it an expensive mistake as it cost me a new point. Hence the painted sleepers from the old point being used to replace the gaps. I had a quick look at St Davids but didn't see the point mod, I did drop some plasticard in the frog of the point i buggered up as I did notice my Grampus wagon dropped into the frog a bit. 

Cheers Peter.

The Point improvement is well worth the effort Peter, I have done the same on Pen Y Bont, by cutting out the 3 sleepers completely and replacing them with 3 from flexi Track, but had to remove 3 chairs from the curved rail. 

All coming along nicely mate.

Thanks Andy,

I have been following your progress. I did notice your point mod I might try that way next time. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

I powered up the track tonight, I had to change the wires over to get the frog to work, but apart from that everything was live and using an old DC controller I moved the Peak up and down. 

I do have a clicking Tortoise motor though any thoughts on what it might be or is it about to fail on me.

Cheers Peter.

Hello PCM.

Here is the video for the drop stop. There are two threads running for layouts called St Davids. Possibly you looked at the 4mm one. Mine is 7mm.

Thanks two tone, Thats a great little gadget I will look into getting some of those. It was your thread I was looking at I am sure you have some very nice stock I really like your Std 4 tank. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hello Peter. The 4MT was a bargain buy a few years ago at the O gauge Carmarthen show in mint condition but needed painting which was do for me by the superb guy Conrad Cooper.

If you have any problems getting hold of the drop stops let me know and a carefully placed boot will motivate the laser operator and they should then be on their way to you.

Edited by two tone green
  • Like 1

Hello Peter. The 4MT was a bargain buy a few years ago at the O gauge Carmarthen show in mint condition but needed painting which was do for me by the superb guy Conrad Cooper.

If you have any problems getting hold of the drop stops let me know and a carefully placed boot will motivate the laser operator and they should then be on their way to you.

I am not sure I will be picking up any O gauge bargains here in Oz. I would be very tempted if a 4 MT turned up here.

I will message via facebook about the drop stops this weekend so will keep you posted.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Are these available anywhere online to purchase? I used to make my own using strips of styrene or card, but this would be far more convenient.

Hi Martin, They are by Parliamentary Trains you will find them on Facebook. I messaged them last night.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Looks good.  Nice smooth running.

Remind me is it DCC or DC?

What does your traverser slide on?  Is it the timber frame?

Mark

Thanks Mark,

It's DC at the moment but once I get some decoders  it will be DCC.  The traverser slides on draw runners I bought from Bunnings.

Cheers Peter.

7mm stock looking superb Peter! Looking forward to future updates.

Kind regards,

Will

Thanks Will, Still plenty to do though working on the layout will slow down now as working on it outside will get harder due to the days getting shorter and colder.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not much happening with the 7mm at the moment but a friend is interested in how I have done the traverser so I will post up a few pics here although it's not finished yet. I have the track to put down but I am going to paint it first.

A few new items of stock have arrived recently too, thanks to the Hattons sale. I had wanted a few Dogfish and Catfish so was well please to be able to get a few. I think I might paint one of the Dogfish in the Dutch livery if I can get the hopper off.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-25790500-1529499110_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-81347200-1529499138_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-04102800-1529499173_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-43652900-1529499221_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-17088100-1529499307_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-61225300-1529499346_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

A nice start there Peter, they look the business mate.

Thanks Andy, I really like the Dogfish and Catfish they are a great looking model. The OAA sits a bit high so I will remove the springs and also paint the befferbeams and buffers black I don't remember seeing any with red buffers.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Thanks Andy, I really like the Dogfish and Catfish they are a great looking model. The OAA sits a bit high so I will remove the springs and also paint the befferbeams and buffers black I don't remember seeing any with red buffers.

Cheers Peter.

Yes I did wonder about the Buffers, but at least that's not a big job.

All the  best.

• 1 month later...

Well it been a while since any updates and to be honest nothing much is happening at the moment as I am working on my 4mm stock. 

But I have made a start on my Heljan OAA. I thought the chain that comes with the model looked to big so I have added some smaller chain from the spares box.

I am also after a favour. I need some C&L fishplates part number 7FP101A.  The C&L website isn't really set up for overseas ordering.  I can pay via paypal if anyone can help.

Thanks Peter.

post-7022-0-53278200-1533821298_thumb.jpg

• Like 1