Gladiator 7mm Stanier Duchess

PAD

Interestingly, there was a reply before yours from another contributor, that is not there now. I won't go into detail, but it was well out of order and I assume it has been taken down by the  moderator, which is  just as well as I would  have reported it. I'll say no more, other  than I'd rather the  individual in question, does not  post on my threads.

Was it mine, which seems to have disappeared? If so I apologise as it wasn't meant to be out of order at all.

If you have a minute, you could maybe PM me what I said that upset you? I could then try and explain. I'd rather not post stuff that upsets people.

Edited to say: Yes it was mine and I apologise for it. It wasn't meant to upset anyone.

And an account of your A4 build on here would be much appreciated...some of us aren't members on WT and can only see thumbnail photos, which the site software doesn't allow us to expand.

Thanks.

Edited by JeffP

Hi Deano,

Many thanks. Hope  you  enjoy the  threads on WT. The MOK and Finney 7 kits  are a joy to build. Complex yes, but  as everything fits so precisely, they are  very easy to build, if  you  already have experience of  building etched kits. I would  agree with Ray's comments on his  MOK 4F thread that although the  instruction are brilliant on the whole, in certain areas of  the  build they do go a  little AWOL and  leave  you  head scratching.  The new Finney 7 instructions are also superb and  can be  viewed on their  website. They have  also added revisions based on their  own and  other's observations, to improve  on the  already very good instructions by Martin Finney.

Here's a view of  the cab before  the  roof was soldered on. Note the  handles on the valves on the  right  hand side.  These were fitted as instructed, but  it  was  pointed out to me  that they should be  4 spoke  wheels with a peg.  Also there  is  one  control handle  and shaft missing for  the  injectors below  the  cab. There is  a hole in the  splasher to fit is  but  no mention in the  instructions. It should  in fact be mounted on a bracket off the  splasher. but  I will go for  the  easy option and  fit  into the  hole with epoxy. I can still get  to it  from underneath.

attachicon.gif20180925_194008.jpg

The cab floor and back plate are removable  via some tabs and  slots at the  front and  a simple clasp at the rear. This  will allow for  painting inside the  cab and  adding  the  glazing.

attachicon.gif20180926_131435.jpg

Here's the back plate after changing the  handles to the 4 spoke  wheels. There are loads of  spares on the  etch 

attachicon.gif20180929_182629.jpg

And a gratuitous shot  on my  brother's railway.

attachicon.gif20181002_215100.jpg

Interestingly, there was a reply before yours from another contributor, that is not there now. I won't go into detail, but it was well out of order and I assume it has been taken down by the  moderator, which is  just as well as I would  have reported it. I'll say no more, other  than I'd rather the  individual in question, does not  post on my threads.

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks for posting those, Peter, very impressive indeed!!

I'm surprised about the MOK instructions though, when the kit is of such high quality?! I've looked at the Finney7 instructions as I'm also interested in the M7 and a T9 for my proposed LSWR region layout; they are very impressive! So pleased that Richard and the guys have managed to keep the Finney brand going, as I have an old 47xx kit from that stable, and by the time I get round to it the instructions may have been updated??

If you're going to post more on WT then maybe I should sign up, but I spend too much time on here already for SWMBO!!

Keep up the good work!

Regards, Deano.

Deano

The 47 was my first Finney kit, about 20 years back. It fits together very well and I’m well pleased with the result, though it was a challenge to get across a peco crossover.

Enjoy

Best

Simon

• Like 1

Deano

The 47 was my first Finney kit, about 20 years back. It fits together very well and I’m well pleased with the result, though it was a challenge to get across a peco crossover.

Enjoy

Best

Simon

Hi Simon

I bet it was!! All my pointwork/ crossovers are planned as built to OMF B7 or greater so I hope it won't be a problem, but thanks for the heads-up!

I bought the kit on Ebay and I think there's inside motion parts. Whether I'll attempt to make it work is another thing?! Maybe!!

Regards, Deano.

I've looked at the Finney7 instructions as I'm also interested in the M7 and a T9 for my proposed LSWR region layout; they are very impressive! So pleased that Richard and the guys have managed to keep the Finney brand going, as I have an old 47xx kit from that stable, and by the time I get round to it the instructions may have been updated??

Regards, Deano.

The GW instructions are all being updated - in fact they are largely rewritten already. You may be interested in the upgrade kit for the cylinders, slidebars, slidebar support brackets and crossheads which will be a retro-fit to the older MF kits. (28xx,47xx, 51xx, Hall)

Richard

Edited by dikitriki
  • Like 1

I've looked at the Finney7 instructions as I'm also interested in the M7 and a T9 for my proposed LSWR region layout; they are very impressive! So pleased that Richard and the guys have managed to keep the Finney brand going, as I have an old 47xx kit from that stable, and by the time I get round to it the instructions may have been updated??

Regards, Deano.

The GW instructions are all being updated - in fact they are largely rewritten already. You may be interested in the upgrade kit for the cylinders, slidebars, slidebar support brackets and crossheads which will be a retro-fit to the older MF kits. (28xx,47xx, 51xx, Hall)

Richard

I certainly will, thanks Richard.

Peter, apologies for the hijack!!

Back to topic.

Regards, Deano.

Was it mine, which seems to have disappeared? If so I apologise as it wasn't meant to be out of order at all.

If you have a minute, you could maybe PM me what I said that upset you? I could then try and explain. I'd rather not post stuff that upsets people.

Edited to say: Yes it was mine and I apologise for it. It wasn't meant to upset anyone.

And an account of your A4 build on here would be much appreciated...some of us aren't members on WT and can only see thumbnail photos, which the site software doesn't allow us to expand.

Thanks.

Oh well...I tried.

• 2 months later...

Hi all

YAY The firebox has arrived. I picked it up from Dave last weekend at the Reading trade show. Got to say WHAT AN IMPROVMENT. 

All seems to fit, although the wash out plugs lack a bit of definition but a sharp scalpel to slightly enlarge the holes and I think it's a gooden.

post-32071-0-01737200-1544453992_thumb.jpg post-32071-0-22486200-1544454012_thumb.jpg

post-32071-0-25591200-1544454031_thumb.jpg post-32071-0-45560700-1544454056_thumb.jpg

post-32071-0-38113300-1544454079_thumb.jpg post-32071-0-66850200-1544454096_thumb.jpg

As you can see it's got some meat on it and apart from the fore mentioned wash out plugs the detailing is very good.

Nice one Dave  :yes:

Thing is I've got to finish my M7 before I can get back to Her Ladyship, so I'd better get my finger out cause I soooo want to get back with her. 

Pete

• Like 7

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

A few weeks back the weather warmed up enough to finish the Duchess off. Sprayed with Halford's rattle cans, lining by Fox.

1.jpg.e53ef5b6e1c09835f2ab9642f7f0356b.jpg

3.jpg.f315850f34de198b5302a41727ba97c7.jpg

19.jpg.2a4190bb521cfa0d9c14dd0ef55e587f.jpg

12.jpg.3f96f1fdf31d19515748f5716edf498b.jpg

Great kit many thanks to Dave and Trisha for the support as this was my one and only foray into the heady world of 7mm (so far anyway).

Dave

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5