Kings Cross Loco Yard/Milk Dock closure

bennyboy

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive - wow that's fantastic thanks so much! GIven that I'm interested in the 1970s I'm assuming that the Heljan B tanks are a little too 'early' for that period? I had hoped that someone would produce a TTA kit, but I cant seem to find one except the long-discontinued JLTRT kit? Thanks once again for the very informative response Clive.

Best wishes, Phil. 

Hi Phil

The Heljan B Tanks are 35ton GLW wagons, Esso were still using them in the 70s but they were coming to the end of that part of their career.. Go back to post 15 and you can see them on shed, mixed with 45 Ton GLW (TTAs). I suspect the 45 tonners are early vacuum braked or dual braked so not pure TTAs, same wagon just a different means of stopping it.

The badges had been removed but where they had been was very distinctive.

• 9 months later...
3 minutes ago, philiprporter said:

Does anyone happen to know what sort of point/crossing is being used here - as shown in the two first pictures of this thread? Is it some sort of single slip and is anything like this available in model form? Many thanks, Phil. 

I think it's what I've seen described as an external single-slip. Tillig do a similar one:-

https://www.tillig.com/eng/Elite_Gleissysteme_Weichen_Kreuzungen-Seite-5.html

• RMweb Gold
On 13/07/2019 at 15:49, philiprporter said:

That's great thanks so much! The Tillig slip looks just the job!

It is indeed just the job...

Edited by simon b
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, simon b said:

It is indeed just the job...

20161218_213143.jpg

Thanks so much for posting this Simon. How do you get on joining it to Peco track? Are you modelling the Kings Cross Milk Dock area? I've managed to source a slip from a German shop so I'm hoping it will arrive soon and I can try it out.

Best wishes, Phil. 

• RMweb Gold
On 14/07/2019 at 07:50, philiprporter said:

Thanks so much for posting this Simon. How do you get on joining it to Peco track? Are you modelling the Kings Cross Milk Dock area? I've managed to source a slip from a German shop so I'm hoping it will arrive soon and I can try it out.

Best wishes, Phil. 

Hi Phil. The tiling slip joins up to normal code 75 without a problem, there is a slight difference in rail height but it isnt that noticeable. The sleeper spacing is what gives the game away. I have got the complete track layout down and wired on a 6x2ft board with a view to building something that loosely represented the milk dock area in the mid 80's. It is quite fun to operate but is on the back burner whilst I complete some other projects.

• Thanks 1

On 16/07/2019 at 20:44, simon b said:

Hi Phil. The tiling slip joins up to normal code 75 without a problem, there is a slight difference in rail height but it isnt that noticeable. The sleeper spacing is what gives the game away. I have got the complete track layout down and wired on a 6x2ft board with a view to building something that loosely represented the milk dock area in the mid 80's. It is quite fun to operate but is on the back burner whilst I complete some other projects.

Many thanks Simon - I ordered one and it arrived yesterday - very impressive! Do you have any experience of fitting point motors to Tillig points? They flex rather than pivot and I'm not sure what motor is best? I'm assuming a solenoid type is not a good idea?!  

• RMweb Gold
On 20/07/2019 at 19:44, philiprporter said:

Many thanks Simon - I ordered one and it arrived yesterday - very impressive! Do you have any experience of fitting point motors to Tillig points? They flex rather than pivot and I'm not sure what motor is best? I'm assuming a solenoid type is not a good idea?!  

I haven't had much to do with the tillig items if I'm honest, the slip is the only one I have encountered. The slip I have is switched via the wire in a tube method using a sprung switch, simple but effective.

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Resurrecting a relatively old thread, but does anyone know if Motorail car flats (i.e. the ones that Oxford Rail and Darstead have modelled) were ever seen at Kings Cross? I have found plenty of images of the covered Motorail car carriers, but can't find any of the open car flats, so I'm assuming they may have only occasionally visited Kings Cross - if at all? Thanks, Phil. 

2 hours ago, philiprporter said:

Resurrecting a relatively old thread, but does anyone know if Motorail car flats (i.e. the ones that Oxford Rail and Darstead have modelled) were ever seen at Kings Cross? I have found plenty of images of the covered Motorail car carriers, but can't find any of the open car flats, so I'm assuming they may have only occasionally visited Kings Cross - if at all? Thanks, Phil. 

During my time at Kings Cross, (1979-84) I only saw cars carried in either the two tiered car carriers or GUV's. I have never come across or seen a photo of motorail flats at Kings Cross, or in the consist of any trains bound for Kings Cross.

Paul J.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Swindon 123 said:

During my time at Kings Cross, (1979-84) I only saw cars carried in either the two tiered car carriers or GUV's. I have never come across or seen a photo of motorail flats at Kings Cross, or in the consist of any trains bound for Kings Cross.

Paul J.

That's really helpful Paul thanks so much. Best wishes, Phil.