A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

• 3 weeks later...

An Update!

The inside motion has mostly been assembled. It has been and interesting process. I've been following the instructions, but things have been slightly complicated by trying to fit this into an engine for which it wasn't designed to go in. The first problem I encountered was in fitting the cylinder block/motion bracket. The hornblocks were in the way of the slidebars. These were High Level Standard hornblocks, I replaced them with a pair of Spacesavers. This seemed to work, although I have just discovered it didn't, more on that later. The next problem was the CSB wire. This just couldn't get through without major cutting to the motion brackets. So that was set aside for a while. I decided that the best option would be to compensate the front axle, rather than spring it. Martin Finney's kits are all designed for compensation and the cylinder block end includes a mounting point for a compensation rod.

On to the crank axle. The casting for the cranks were cleaned up and the axle holes enlarged slightly to fix the axle. The other bits, eccentrics and eccentric sheaths, were fitted and tired in place. It fitted, so I disassembled it, carefully added silver solder, and put it back together. I took it outside and used a torch to melt the solder. I suspect the 3C weather didn't help, but it worked well none the less. I cleaned it up, thought it could use a bit more solder, added some, and resoldered it. The axle then was cut and cleaned up.

I fitted the axle to the chassis, and I tried it with the connecting rods and crossheads. I immediately ran into problems, quite literally. The sides of the connecting rods, where they attach to the crossheads, hit the hornblock sides. The next problem was that ends of the eccentrics hit the motion bracket, the bracket was too close to the axle. So the motion bracket assembly has to move. This brings the story up to date. I find myself needing. To make some fairly substantial modifications to the chassis, moving the bracket and doing something about the hornblocks. I've managed to find some Comet? hornblocks that fit 6mm openings in the frames, rather than in separate etched hornguides. This gives them an advantage in this situation, they are far narrower than the alternatives. While I'm changing the front pair, it makes sense to change the rest as well and fit compensation to the back two axles at the same time. Having a compensation and springing hybrid system seemed like a bad idea, so the springing will go. In the morning. I’ll add some pictures then too.

An Update!

The inside motion has mostly been assembled. It has been and interesting process. I've been following the instructions, but things have been slightly complicated by trying to fit this into an engine for which it wasn't designed to go in. The first problem I encountered was in fitting the cylinder block/motion bracket. The hornblocks were in the way of the slidebars. These were High Level Standard hornblocks, I replaced them with a pair of Spacesavers. This seemed to work, although I have just discovered it didn't, more on that later. The next problem was the CSB wire. This just couldn't get through without major cutting to the motion brackets. So that was set aside for a while. I decided that the best option would be to compensate the front axle, rather than spring it. Martin Finney's kits are all designed for compensation and the cylinder block end includes a mounting point for a compensation rod.

On to the crank axle. The casting for the cranks were cleaned up and the axle holes enlarged slightly to fix the axle. The other bits, eccentrics and eccentric sheaths, were fitted and tired in place. It fitted, so I disassembled it, carefully added silver solder, and put it back together. I took it outside and used a torch to melt the solder. I suspect the 3C weather didn't help, but it worked well none the less. I cleaned it up, thought it could use a bit more solder, added some, and resoldered it. The axle then was cut and cleaned up.

I fitted the axle to the chassis, and I tried it with the connecting rods and crossheads. I immediately ran into problems, quite literally. The sides of the connecting rods, where they attach to the crossheads, hit the hornblock sides. The next problem was that ends of the eccentrics hit the motion bracket, the bracket was too close to the axle. So the motion bracket assembly has to move. This brings the story up to date. I find myself needing. To make some fairly substantial modifications to the chassis, moving the bracket and doing something about the hornblocks. I've managed to find some Comet? hornblocks that fit 6mm openings in the frames, rather than in separate etched hornguides. This gives them an advantage in this situation, they are far narrower than the alternatives. While I'm changing the front pair, it makes sense to change the rest as well and fit compensation to the back two axles at the same time. Having a compensation and springing hybrid system seemed like a bad idea, so the springing will go. In the morning. I’ll add some pictures then too.

What width frame spacers are you using?

Edit: having reread the thread, I see you are using the P4 spacers.  Why not try something wider? Martin Finney's kits use the old fashioned flexichas bearings in slots rather than hornblocks which gives more room between the frames for the valve gear.  I am currently building an 1854 chassis with valve gear which is how I know.  But for my next Dean Goods I am planning on using the Comet sprung horn guides with the Comet chassis.

IIRC, in an old MRJ Compendium, someone got his working in OO; so it is possible.

Edited by Brassey

Gareth’s progress with the working inside motion for the BG 1076 Buffalo is making me feel very guilty about the lack of progress with track and the layout. Even no 1 son is demanding I start building steam engines (unspecified type) rather than finish the track work or BG wagons that are on the workbench...

Duncan

Gareth’s progress with the working inside motion for the BG 1076 Buffalo is making me feel very guilty about the lack of progress with track and the layout. Even no 1 son is demanding I start building steam engines (unspecified type) rather than finish the track work or BG wagons that are on the workbench...

Duncan

Would he like an E2 in an unprotoypical blue livery?

He seems to appreciate god’s wonderful railway above all others - can’t think why. The bed time story (at his request while no1 daughter was banished to the landing for anti social behaviour) was about Duck meeting the City of Truro (loco not place in case you were wondering).

D

• 4 weeks later...

More progress yesterday on fitting check rails. However, one of the existing ones had to be replaced as it wasn’t checking all the required crossings. I’ve also now got lots of cosmetic chairs to add, a job almost as dull as threading them on to rail.

post-21453-0-21904100-1543131090_thumb.jpeg

post-21453-0-83712700-1543131113_thumb.jpeg

post-21453-0-68713700-1543131139_thumb.jpeg

post-21453-0-45864500-1543131166_thumb.jpeg

Originally I had left out alternating chairs where the check rail was to go as I was dubious about a trimmed chair having a large enough footprint to allow the glue to get a good purchase, but it turns out the trimmed chairs are fine.

Duncan

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

More work on the diamond crossing this evening.

post-21453-0-66786100-1543963310_thumb.jpeg

post-21453-0-03185600-1543963342_thumb.jpeg

I also started the laborious job of adding cosmetic chairs to the diamond crossing.

While glue was drying I also added another of the check rails to the points.

post-21453-0-76043200-1543963461_thumb.jpeg

Progress might be slow but at least there is something to report!

DrDuncan

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

After a break in progress due to visiting in-laws (whose rock bottom view of me could apparently be made worse by the knowledge I ‘play with toy trains’) and a few days at my folks. I have got back to working on the seemingly never ending task of track building, ‘aided’ again by my junior assistant under plate layer, no 1 son, Teddy.

First job - and long overdue - was painting the unstained replacement sleepers with wood stain.

post-21453-0-93592300-1546346994_thumb.jpeg

Next was the last check rail on the diamond crossing.

post-21453-0-43620100-1546347103_thumb.jpeg

And on the loop to diamond point. First the narrow one.

post-21453-0-29339000-1546350642_thumb.jpeg

And then the broad one

post-21453-0-35173700-1546354282_thumb.jpeg

The first of two check rails in the common rail

post-21453-0-44615000-1546355998_thumb.jpeg

The second common rail check rail

post-21453-0-57680500-1546357574_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mixed progress over the last week.

On Thursday evening while up at the South Hants club rooms I laboriously added teeny tiny plasticard rivets to various BG wagons under construction. Fortunately I only did about 90 mins worth (which seemed painfully few rivets anyway) as I was loosing the will to live. There has to be a quicker and better way to do rivets than cubes of plastic.

At the weekend, with the first module of track nearing completion, I decided I really needed to get the baseboard legs sorted. Installed one set, checked the folding braces worked perfectly and then found that I had put the braces in the wrong place and they’d foul the legs at the other end of the board when installed. Managed to take everything apart agin before the Resin W set like concrete. So 2nd attempt to get it right, time permitting, this weekend.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Have you looked at Archers Rivets? Available from Historex. Sorry I am unable to give a link, you will need to select brands, manufacturers, Archers and scroll down a fair way to find the surface details section, there are several different sheets.

PS. Don't get side tracked.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...