Class 46 to Class 44

• RMweb Premium

Aside from the noses, the long horizontal body grille was longer on the 44s than the 45/46s. Etched conversion sets were done by the likes of Craftsman and Crownline back in the day - these would also have included cast noses and bufferbeams (as they were intended for use on the old Mainline/Replica 45) - The early Bachmann 46s were basically the Mainline body on a better chassis.

The batteryboxes also differ - the 46s have plain boxes, the 44/45s have an 'X' across the front of each battery box. There were other small detail differences with regard to boiler compartment roof panels, small side grilles, etc.

Worst case, why not modify the existing 46's nose? File/smooth off the existing detail, fill as required and then drill/scribe new detail.

As an alternative - have you thought about getting a Bachmann 44 body to go on the 46's chassis?? Would be a much simpler job!

Edited by CloggyDog
  • Like 1

.....early Bachmann Class 46 that I would like to convert to a Class 44. Does any one produce nose shells to enable this conversion in either whitemetal, plastic or even 3D printing?

http://www.genesiskits.co.uk/shop/diesel-loco-parts/set-of-peak-headcode-boxes/]Genesis kits do these parts. I've not used them myself.

If my memory is correct, Genesis also produced a complete cast cab and nose shell for use on the 44/45/46. They stopped making them a while ago, though. Might be worth asking them if they could do another run for you.