AFK (Altonian Complementary Railways)

ianathompson

• RMweb Premium

A new scematic map has been produced in a horizontal fromat.

It is hand drawn because the printer refuses to print.

I have also put the menu at the start of the new photos so that you can toggle between the map and thr start of the photos section.

The appropriate web page is here.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The next update for the session has been posted.

In the light of comments I have prorvided links to various maps and other info.

It now takes a little while to load the photos.

The latest photos are available here.

13-126.jpg.e0ce75c9c3a04187cc4905de8447a605.jpg

125. The calm before the storm.

The goods going forward is a long train today and there is no way that it can hide in a siding.

It is perhaps fortunate in that the loco exceeds the booked power category.

The usual loco would have struggled with some of the shunts and probably would have had to take longer than was actually the case.

13-131.jpg.43736926820e4671b391ebcfe8417d60.jpg

129. Eromarbordo has been a little neglected of late but there is no time pressure here.

The extra loco and van have pulled onto the quayside so that the railcar can get out of the way of the shunting.

Fortunately there are no hoppers for the grain unloading pit so the railcar can foul this siding.

The outgoing traffic is determined by throwing the dice, as are all traffic flows.

The difference here is that the throw takes place “in session” and varies from day to day depending upon the time of the tide.

This is the height of the fishing season but today the load can be dealt with by one train.

Sometimes two are needed which causes chaos.

The worker, alongside Maria Stella Maris chapel, has plenty of barrels and boxes to contend with.

The chapel, dedicated to the fisherfolk, as its name suggests, is Way Station 1 on the via poenitentibus the randonno, or LDP (long Distance Path) that crosses the canton and contributes to the tourist economy.

13-148.jpg.eb163e201e43b0009f1c8b4f543f4262.jpg

146. The hulking great diesel is casually parked in the middle of y merkatubaxu, the main square of ‘Isuri’.

The cab door is wide open and anyone could climb in if they so wished, although any one other than a crew member would receive suitable upbraiding from the resident populace, not that this deters the more high spirited university students!

The matron walking across the square looks as though she could rigorously apply admonishment!

The driver is probably partaking of a quick drink and snack in one of the local establishments before the connecting CFS train pulls in.

13-155.jpg.cc2dff024a2f44961b3c4f4fa178fdd8.jpg

153. The FDV-RFK railcar pulls into Relforka to find the 2-10-2T waiting with the RFK-FDV afternoon goods.

This has been retimed to run earlier today because of the race traffic.

It should be able to keep out of the way of the mixto although it is normally booked to follow it.

It is not running with a full load so that should help, although the loco is a well known Diva.

Ian T

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another forty or so photos have been uploaded in the latest update.

For those who don't click on the link you are missing much of the story.

There are now 194 photos of this session.

The tale is available here.

13-162.jpg.db430920829d24d628e3c058a1e2c6be.jpg

161. A glance over Gas Works Street wall a little later shows that the 2-8-2T has finished shunting and is waiting to go to Aspargo but that, as per usual the diamond is occupied by a conflicting move.

The late running KTT goods pulls in off the main line, onto the reception road.

A large number of tail lamps seem to have accumulated beside the yard office.

13-167.jpg.fe1a2036f34960cac341560294b8afea.jpg

166. The lower half of the line is always busy and the decision is taken to allow the Urteno freight to run on the mixto’s path.

This puts a little more time into the mixto which leaves 35 minutes late.

It is unlikely that it will recover from this to make the evening connections with the train to Sarip, the capital, on the return working. Alternative arrangements are already being considered.

The evening train is, you will remember, heavily used by the regional assembly’s politicians and administrators visiting Sarip therefore it is important that it runs punctually.

The punctual running is not of great importance in itself but it does save upon a massive expenditure of hot air from the bureaucrats in the regional and national assemblies.

13-176.jpg.b8f217dc3a528ad20a8939c854c2f06c.jpg

175. Jakarutu, in contrast, is a serene branch terminus, deliberately added to the mix as a counterpoint to the bustle of the provincial capital.

The loco unhurriedly takes water before providing the second, and last, service of the day.

The van arrived some days ago and has been marooned in this outpost without moving.

This again was a deliberate design objective.

It was not uncommon for wagons to stand in sidings for days on end on the prototype but it is rare to find this on a model, or at least one with regular operating sessions.

As is often the case, the van needs attention to finish it off.

Jakarutu was completed years ago by the simple expedient of painting the town onto the backscene, not that it has any artistic merit.

13-183.jpg.7b6f8426a6101ee581497d3df6e0f8a4.jpg

182. The express leaves the wilds of Ospicio passing between the melting snow drifts.

The shepherd’s bothy still awaits shutters and a door and some of the tiles have been knocked off.

It looks as though the disreputable thatch upon the barn could also do with some attention.

Some of the snow patches hide the microswitches and the bothy slots in alongside the barn.

When removed it reveals the light switches for the room, hence the frequent handling and damage despite building it like a battleship.

Back to the sesssion now!

Ian T

Edited by ianathompson
typo
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Over 50 new pictures are now avaialble on the website.

You can find them here.

They now take some time to load up so youi will need to be patient

As I am currently short of time there is only one taster with this posting.

13-222.jpg.f0e4b75a2c5dbdb9f08cf8253793ad0b.jpg

221. In addition to disconcerting the concerned matrons of ‘Isuri’ the shunter incurs the wrath of Janetta, the Vallisharimau, or “Vallis Tiger” in Marronĝaccan.

(Vallis is the diminutive of Vallisfissura, the Roman name for Fenditavalat.)

Janetta is in charge of the student accommodation in the Scolari (University Senate) owned buildings beside the gate.

She does not like locomotive crews who cover her washing in smuts and the diesel is well known for liberally disbursing oily exhaust.

She waves her furled umbrella in warning as though Inhodza, the driver, will take any notice of the pantomime.

Why on earth the French manufacturer included such an “everyday figure” in their choice of poses I cannot say.

I did chop the end off the umbrella with the intention of converting it into a rolling pin but then decided otherwise.

I paid for it so I might as well have some fun with it!

Ian T

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

For various reasons the session has slowed down a little of late.

Here are the latest photos.

13-258.jpg.a7d89cbf1816d381c505ec6cd189c44e.jpg

258. The stock for the returning Kasatritikakamparoj races special leaves Aspargo behind the 0-4-4-0T mallet.

This is a scratch rake of stock made up from whatever was to hand.

The mallet is acting as an additional pilot because it will have to go out on the Altingablecaŭtoj races train as, except for the spare engine, there is nothing else available.

13-272.jpg.2ed0cd7028b242785b3611cb36fcb16a.jpg

270. The down KTT goods finished its shunting at Boursson early so Control saw a chance to run it without causing too much delay.

It is stopped at Glissent’s home signal to allow the railcar to enter the station without potentially causing a collision if the passenger train over runs, as is standard with the locking on simple single line block posts.

13-287.jpg.fca414554cce3141b53819da9e6a67bc.jpg

286. The mixto pulls into Lacono over the reverse curve that is the bane of the AFK.

There have been a number of irritating derailments here during this session so remedial work will be needed in addition to the fault fixing already carried out.

One problem is that the local controller lead is not long enough to stand at this end of the station and closely observe trains passing.

This is something else on the “round tuit” list.

The two long carriages present a challenge in any case.

They were originally fitted with individual buffers between them but these had to be replaced by a bar arrangement, visible below the door of the nearest vehicle, due to the number of unscheduled uncouplings and derailments that they caused.

The front carriage is based on a Vivarais vehicle and the second one on a Roslagsbanan prototype.

The less said about the loco’s grip on reality the better!

Ian T

Edited by ianathompson
error
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The operating sesion has now finished.

The remaining photos are available here.

It now takes a little while to load up so you will have to be patient.

Around forty photos have been pasted.

A small selection is shown here.

13-297.jpg.7850548ad00d42710dac095685933656.jpg

296. The down mixto is surprisingly checked by a danger aspect from Breĉo de Glissent’s home, despite it running on time.

The difficulty of persuading all the signal arms to remain in perfect alignment is apparent, although I would not be surprised to find that there were similar problems on the prototypes.

13-312.jpg.04e0209441c29330a995ae047cbb547d.jpg

310. The evening railcar was held at Relforka for connections, putting it 25 minutes late.

The horse box train arrived at Breĉo de Glissent at roughly the anticipated departure time and was given priority over the single line because the horses are valuable commodities.

The AFK wants them off it hands as soon as possible.

The passengers know their place and waiting for goods trains is not an unusual event.

The station is well resourced with warm waiting rooms, restaurants and bars to cover such eventualities.

The train is 45 minutes late when it finally leaves.

13-320.jpg.49a6311c55281d46c71b1aaac8442830.jpg

318. The loco from the goods train heads along the Kapra Pordego to service the industrial estate in the Danulbo quarter.

An “executive decision” has been made to relocate the cement silos to this area rather than pretending that they are “across the road”.

The theoretical map will need another redrawing but it seems a more credible idea.

As the trip departs the yard foreman is on the phone to advise the paper mill that they will need to send the fireless as they have traffic to pick up.

This could potentially cause a problem if it meets the trip on the single line.

The section into the industrial area, set within the road, relies upon running on sight and common sense.

Speeds are deliberately kept low and if necessary the light loco can reverse in front of the loaded train before entering a siding.

Ian T

• Like 6

Quote: "For those who don't click on the link you are missing much of the story."

Sadly I haven't been able to access the website for over a year, for some unknown reason, so I appreciate being able to catch the 'match highlights' here at least. Keep them coming. Alan.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, awoodford said:

Sadly I haven't been able to access the website for over a year, for some unknown reason, so I appreciate being able to catch the 'match highlights' here at least. Keep them coming. Alan.

Is it not working automatically from the link?

I am certainly no expert but if the link will not take you there the website address is 

www.myafk.net

Hope that this helps.

Ian T

Edited by ianathompson
additional info
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Despite the best resolutions to crack on with the AFK, and Inverness Citadel, little has happened for a few days.

The 0-6-2T is in bits on the bench but has taken a back seat because:

109.jpg.6beb5a6ea1cc2b2c5bebbe5cc407d864.jpg

Yes. I was tempted by, and succumbed to, a Lionheart L&B train.

I did originally consider a two coach set up but then thought why get hung for a lamb when you could go down for a sheep?

It actually does not look too far out of place in this setting, at Varden lido. 

Initial tests suggest that the train runs well, once you have got it onto the track.

No easy task this.

Guess how I know!

The AFK uses a 24 inch minimum radius which is that recommended for the models.

The train coped with this radius without problems.

For any one contemplating buying I would point out that the chopper couplers are "handed".

This isn't a problem to me because the AFK couplers are similarly "handed".

110.jpg.7dfa5f835db4ebef8ef31af41287d64b.jpg

David Jenkinson was  agreat advocate for "funny trains", that is nice models totally out of time and place with your choice of subject.

They ocasionally come out to play, at the right time.

Like most modellers who read the articles by Frary and Hayden in Model Railroader I have always been "taken" by the Maine two footers.

Years ago I bought an outside frame Forney and left it at that.

Having sought it out from an obscure hiding place it also took to the tracks of the AFK.

A small selection of rolling stock has been acquired to go with it, although I am waiting on delivery.

When it all arrives I might take another photo.

I took the Forney up the vulpafaukangulo with some trepidation because I had read about difficulties with the ovehang of the rear coupling.

Once again, 24 inches is the minimum recommended radius.

The loco and box car coped without any apparent difficulty.

I don't doubt that, over time, a couple of additional wagons will find their way into both trains.

The "funnies" are a nice way to indulge a whim without the commitment of building a layout to go with the theme.

Both examples are instantly recognisable and could in no way be passed off as "generic" NG models.

Hope that this is of some interest.

Ian T

• Like 4

Quote: "Is it not working automatically from the link?"

It's OK, the link points to the right place. It's just the page won't load... a local problem I assume. I get the Internet through public library computers, which are riddled with Net Nannies and Policies, so I guess there's something in there that they take exception to. Alan.

• RMweb Premium
On 13/12/2023 at 10:43, awoodford said:

I get the Internet through public library computers, which are riddled with Net Nannies and Policies, so I guess there's something in there that they take exception to. Alan.

I am sorry to hear that you cannot access the site.

I cannot imagine that there is anything offensive in the site but I can also imagine the "jobsworths" attitudes.

Ian T

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Progress on the AFK during the shut down has been slow due to the decision to develop the Gilbertine Level layout.

It has not ceased entirely however and I hope to start a new operating session shortly.

opsdecant130.jpg.92f90dc7d04e97988eb19096dbd1a871.jpg

It was always intended that Thalnia was one of the poorer European countries and that Marronĝaco province was an obscure backwater thereof.

Unfortunately the AFK’s major development coincided with the rise of the internet selling platforms and the explosion in availability of 1:43 road vehicles, such as the crane in the background.

I could not resist temptation and have always felt that there was too much road traffic on the layout.

One pet project, harking back to a scene that I remember from visiting Spain in the sixties, was the provision of an animal powered dustcart.

The original used a couple of mules but the Lacono Corporation prefer to use oxen.

The driver waits for the bins to be emptied into the back.

Looking at its horns you don’t want to mess with the ox!

The dust cart was made from a basket case Dinky toy.

opsdecant132.jpg.051708ab56dc1aafeb1fcb164a98f799.jpg

A couple of loco projects have been picked up.

The CFS three-phase loco is now complete.

As I have commented before, the real things, on the FS (Italian Railways), were an ugly but intriguing bunch.

One of their more endearing aspects, to me at any rate, was that they always seemed to run with numerous equipment doors open.

Even the cab door has got in on the act!

As per usual the loco only bears a passing resemblance to any known prototype having suffered a change of chassis, the body being prised apart and the indignity of having unlikely bits added for aesthetic (?) reasons.

The rechargeable battery casing on the front provides one such example.

The steam is coming from the solution used to cool the resistances which control the loco.

opsdecant133.jpg.5c97386bc3cba2a7a2188bcfd784c9a8.jpg

This is the other face of this ‘ravishing beauty’.

The filling point for the coolant is prominent.

The woman with the pram is testing the gauge of the railway tracks.

The pram seems to be quite a good fit!

She is probably also wondering what has happened to the access steps on the front of the loco.

Someone has forgotten to fit them!

Go to jail the depot and do not pass Go!

opsdecant136.jpg.7ce6f9b3f24fad1a83214a8589530f9c.jpg

The sister of the I-D-I has now been finished.

There is some debate as to whether this is a I-C-2 or a 2-C-I.

She is finished in a less dishevelled state than her big sister and has so far desisted from emitting large clouds of exhaust.

There is time for this yet however.

opsdecant138.jpg.ad2cf945231ebbc18012821c577ddc41.jpg

The fireless is a fairly simple loco.

A cab roof, a driver, a couple of pipes and some weathering quickly saw it to a conclusion.

Ian T

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Web site closure imminent

As per usual it has been some time since I posted here when the AFK is in remission between sessions.

I have some bad news, however, in that it seems likely that the AFK website will shortly be closed after nine years of operation.

All web sites have an ephemeral existence and once the site has gone the articles will disappear.

Hard copy, paper based, articles have an advantage in that respect!

If there is anything of interest to you on the site I suggest that you visit in the next week or so and download it.

I have, of course kept back up copies of all the articles on the site.

The catalyst for this change is a massive increase in hosting costs and the US holding company’s attempt to take payment on the same day as they issued an invoice, without considering that anyone might decline their services.

In simple terms they want much more money than I am prepared to pay for a non-commercial site.

The site had become quite complex, if not rambling.

The limited software options available also meant that posting text and photos was a time consuming process.

The most recent posts simply recorded operating sessions.

These photo-essays had become bloated when compared to their predecessors and the last one (session 13) ran to well over 300 photos.

I know that some readers enjoyed the minutiae of AFK life but I often wondered how many people read the full blown accounts rather than the brief summaries on the thread.

For the moment I anticipate posting session 14 on this, and other, threads with a limit of around 50 or 60 photos.

I might also consider using a reasonably priced web site as an alternative.

Does anyone have any suggestions?!

Ian T

Edited by ianathompson
typo
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold

That's a shame, but fully understandable. Cheap web-hosting seems to be an increasingly rare bird and terms can change over night as companies know that migration to another host is a pain in the proverbial.

I am one of the people who reads and enjoys every word. I realise it takes a lot of time and effort to tell those stories and posting them to different fourms takes even more time but please post as much as you can.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Gents. Thanks for all your supportive comments.

I have not been able to find much time to respond, partly due to a family emergency.

I have also been going through the protracted process of disengaging from the staging platform.

As far as I can tell the website will cease operations around 21st April.

It is my intention to shortly "reset" the thread by posting a much simplified background on here.

Whilst most of the in depth background will be lost to the casual viewer it will be retained in my files.

Ian T

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, ianathompson said:

Gents. Thanks for all your supportive comments.

I have not been able to find much time to respond, partly due to a family emergency.

I have also been going through the protracted process of disengaging from the staging platform.

As far as I can tell the website will cease operations around 21st April.

It is my intention to shortly "reset" the thread by posting a much simplified background on here.

Whilst most of the in depth background will be lost to the casual viewer it will be retained in my files.

Ian T

Ian, if I may be so bold, this might be a good opportunity to condense the two topics here into one.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 11/04/2024 at 10:41, St Enodoc said:

Ian, if I may be so bold, this might be a good opportunity to condense the two topics here into one.

I tend to agree with you!

The only reason that I started posting in this thread was to attempt to obtain wider exposure as it would not seem that too many users go to the Overseas Models section!

Mind you, not too many seem interested in this topic on here either!

Before I amalgamate the threads I will give readers on this thread a chance to register any objections.

Ian T

Edited by ianathompson
typo
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

RESET

Introduction to the AFK

It seems a bit strange to be “introducing the AFK” 13 pages into the thread but this information was contained on the now redundant website and is no longer available for consultation.

There are, however, the brief summaries of each operating session posted further upthread.

For the benefit of new readers (if there are any!) and as a reminder to others this is a (sadly) much abbreviated version of the history and geography of Altonia.

General setting.

The AFK is the Altonia Ferovojoj Komplementaj, or Complementary Railways of Altonia, to give the English translation.

Altonia is a canton in Marronĝaco, the northernmost province of Thalnia, a country neighbouring fabled Ruritania and Narnia.

Economically underdeveloped, immured in a 'sixties time warp and overshadowed by its more celebrated neighbours; the country was inexplicably overlooked by the great cartographers when they came to map Europe.

The Thalnian language is in common use throughout the lowland areas of the province but the mountainous areas still speak various impenetrable dialects of the Marronĝacan language. Thalnian is an Esperanto based language whereas Marronĝacan is an unholy product of my imagination and the “Google Translate” results for various Icelandic, Hungarian and Basque words, or whatever else comes to mind!

The province contains four cantons, three of which appear on the model.

Each canton is based upon the catchment area of a river with the interfluves marking the cantonal boundaries.

The Ero drains Altonia but the terminus at Fenditavalat, across the cantonal boundary, is drained by the Orbon.

The railway briefly enters Rolnth canton as it climbs towards its summit.

Historically the area formed the Murranaccia province of the Roman empire, an almost ungovernable possession that required two permanently stationed legions to subdue it.

In Mediaeval times feuding robber barons, under the nominal control of the Aŭkeratuo, the Prince-Bishop of Fenditavalat, fought over the land and its limited resources.

The harsh lawlessness combined with the upland nature of the province contrived to restrict economic development.

The Prince-Bishopric was amalgamated into Thalnia, as its northernmost province, during the nineteenth century nation building process.

Its isolation, coupled with the depredations of two World Wars, ensure that today it remains remote, obscure and impoverished.

Thalnian railway building

In common with many nineteenth century continental countries the Thalnian railway system was determined by the military and built for strategic reasons.

Franchises were awarded for each region of the country and competition was forbidden.

Commercial considerations were a secondary concern. Marronĝacco was served by the Ferovojo Norda (the Northern Railway).

marrrlys.jpg.c925904381d7019d9b22c81e3d15bc8d.jpg

Map 1 The Marronĝaccan railway system

As can be seen from Map 1 the FN crossed La Kolĉeno, the narrow isthmus of land connecting Marronĝaco to the rest of the country.

After reaching Nerv it took a northern course through the province meeting the Ruritanian State Railways (SRE) on neutral territory at Alligliano, in Levitheran.

A later branch was constructed across the southern part of the province running to Gascari to provide a connection with the Royal Narnian Railways (KNE) through the Dorsadela Vestamontoj, the Back of the Wardrobe Mountains.

This left the cities in the mountainous provincial interior unconnected to the network.

Enabling legislation devolved powers for the construction of local and regional railways to the provincial assembly.

These powers were intended to stimulate local economies.

Unsurprisingly, given the fractious nature of the province, agreement could not be reached and the powers were handed down to the individual cantons.

Eventually the AFK and the CFS were able to provide a coherent narrow gauge through route across the province, roughly at right angles to the main lines.

The southern area of the province was served by the MFR, another narrow gauge line.

inclnarnia.jpg.0b375e19ea2875c7e6e14a062fc512f3.jpg

Map 2 The basic topography of Altonia.

The sketchmap (Map 2) shows the salient features of the AFK’s route.

It is a rather unlikely confection in geographical terms and has been deliberately contrived to create a good mixture of traffic.

The influences of the RhetischeBahn and the Roslagsbanan can easily be detected.

A connection to the sea has been thrown in for good measure and the whole line has been mapped on a series of 1:50,000 scale maps, not that they are any longer shown here.

The railway is effectively divided into a lowland area and a mountainous section, to be found north of Lacono, although heights are not shown on the sketch.

The railway infrastructure of the AFK.

newsystemmap.jpg.965d858d500e35884f2723ef339639a3.jpg

Map 3 A simplified AFK system map

Map 3 shows the basic AFK system, which is briefly summarised below.

The mainline runs for 69.5 kilometres from Relforka Lacono across the Helcaraxë Pass, where it reaches its summit at 723 metres, before dropping down to Fenditavalat. It also throws off a rack branch to Jakarutu and another to Eromarbordo.

Relforka Lacono is the junction with the standard gauge Thalnian railways. It possesses a large marshalling yard, storage sidings, a loco shed and works.

These are not modelled as they would detrimentally overwhelm the layout.

The line leaves Relforka and passes Lajver before traversing the Gorge of the Ero (none of which is modelled unfortunately).

Lajver is the junction for the branch to Eromarbordo, the Roman port for the province which is still commercial active.  

Breĉo de Glissent marks the beginning of the Kasatritikakamparoj, an agricultural district based upon the fertile silt dropped by a periglacial lake.

The line traverses a glacial trough until it reaches Boursson where it leaves the valley floor to climb into Lacono.

Lacono is the modern day provincial capital.

The city contains the industrial Danulbo quarter which is a major source of traffic for the railway.

There is a small marshalling yard (known as Gasafabrikatastrato or Gas Works Street) and a loco shed at Aspargo.

After leaving Lacono the line enters the mountains and crosses Carramasco Gorge on the Akvalando viaduct before reaching Urteno.

Urteno was a historically insignificant hamlet located on an alluvial fan beside the Spegulalaguno, a ribbon lake.

It developed into an upmarket tourist resort that also houses the province’s main hospital, providing much traffic for the railway.

It also acts as the upper terminus for local trains traversing the lower part of the canton.

Upon exiting Urteno the route climbs into the Altingablecaŭtoj (the High Reaches) on the steeply graded vulpafaŭkangulo.

Heavy trains require banking over this section.

Ithilarak stands at the top of this bank.

There is a marked transition into an upland economy based upon forestry, mining and transhumance during the summer months.

Ithilarak is also the junction for Jakarutu, a remote and obscure town important for its military strategic value.

The railway uses the Strub rack to climb 442 metres in a distance of 14.4 kms.

The AFK proceeds to cross the cantonal boundary and enter Rolnth canton at high altitude before reaching Ospicio d’Helcaraxë, the operational summit of the line.

This is a bleak snowbound area in winter but the model is shown in the “melt season”.

Trains cross the Ero/Orbon interfluve into Calviero canton and descend into a Narnian enclave at Caladonno which is modelled in permanent winter.

The line continues down the Orbon valley to reach Fenditavalat, known in Marronĝacan as Isuritakaharano, or “Isuri”.

This city was the Roman provincial capital until it was usurped in modern times by Lacono.

The CFS, a three phase electrified line, connects with the AFK in the Basabazaro, one of the city’s main squares to provide a connection to Krelm, on the Ruritanian mainline.

Conclusion

The basic scenario for the model has been covered, although much detail has been omitted.

Hopefully I will be able to cover any relevant details as they arise.

Ian T

Edited by ianathompson
typo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

And there it was, gone. An object lesson in the ephemeral nature of websites.

I was enjoying trawling through some of the sections that I hadn't so far visited.

Many thanks for salvaging the above for future reference.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I was sorry to read of the demise of the AFK website. However it should be noted that at least some of the AFK pages have been captured by the Internet Archive and can still be accessed. Unfortunately it appears that the photos have not been included. Still, the words of wisdom survive, and those fans already familiar with the AFK, may be able to follow the stories by filling in the pictures with their imagination!
Alan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Session 14

Post 1 Intro

Welcome to the first “post-apocoliptic” operating session of the AFK, following the closure of the web site.

A lot of the background information is no longer available, although I have kept copies, but I will do my best to provide what seems relevant.

It has been some time since the last session as the AFK and other layouts have received attention.

Unfortunately family health issues, necessitating a fair amount of travelling, have prevented this session starting as early as I would have liked.

They may also interfere with matters as things progress.

A number of time consuming minor defects were picked up as the locos had their wheels cleaned and were tested on the work bench.

These have been resolved, as far as possible, but replacing perished traction tyres on models that went out of production donkey’s years ago involves some creative bodging!

Setting

“Today” is Tuesday 10th June.

As we near the summer solstice the daylight hours last from 04.30 until 21.00.

Although we are technically in spring this is the first of the summer sessions.

This leaves a gap of almost one calendar month since the previous session.

Obviously, in reality, the issues arising then would have been long since resolved but as far as the model is concerned the aftermath of those problems will be carried over into this session.

The only exception to this general procedure is the disposition of locomotives which are usually switched between rosters.

I suppose that this is inconsistent but Rule 1 applies!

New developments

A couple of new traffics have been added to the mix and certain industries have been relocated at Lacono.

The “off-scene” shunting areas are now represented as magnetic diagrams where shunting times can properly be calculated.

As an aside I have a magnetic railway, carved up from a travelling chess set, that I used to “operate” on the long bus journeys when I went out as a DofE leader.

14-01.jpg.3233affd399b8f0ff58c2dca617a11df.jpg

14-01. This area shows the Danulbo arrondissmento at Lacono representing the sidings in the industrial estate served by the “new cassette” accessed through the “door” across the road from the main station.

The red and black markers represent locos.

Locos and wagons disappeared into this area, arriving back “as convenient”, without any real idea of where they had been or what they had been doing.

This board will give a much clearer idea of what should appear on the layout and when.

It is noticeable, in the bottom left hand corner, that it will now take 16 minutes to reach the cement silos and the pipe factory and that is before any shunting begins.

The factory currently holds 2 silos, an open and a SG stake wagon.

These are held in drawers close to the cassette.

The sharp eyed will note that a shoe factory has been added to the mix.

Some of you might remember that Steinkastir, the absconding troll, was apprehended by the Narnian legate at Caladonno, during the last session (13).

The relevant photos were not posted on this thread (but could be shown if there is sufficient demand!)

It was all a bit of fun and I do not intend to make a major feature of the strange goings on in Narnia.

14-02.jpg.fe64340fc20cabcd561888a93cff928f.jpg

14-02 Steinkastir, now resident in his deluxe troll hole in the snow, is employed to quarry Narnite.

Narnite is rumoured to be fossilised Marmite which metamorphosis has turned into a heavy greenish black stone that can be polished to resemble marble.

As far as the AFK is concerned this is an excellent development because it provides an additional revenue stream.

The quarrying and loading is, of course, a nocturnal activity because trolls turn to stone in daylight.

The AFK simply leaves an open wagon overnight which is magically loaded with stone the next day.

Perhaps someone is losing their marbles and it might not be Steinkastir!

The summer sees numerous fairs in the mountain villages and the AFK makes arrangements to serve them.

Today it is Ithilarak fair.

Ian T

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1