Toftwood

Cullerbay - BR(NE) early 60's

Posted (edited)

Now I can't submit more than 8mb of pics at one time?? unlike before.....

Whats going on??

Edited by Toftwood
spelling
  • Friendly/supportive 1

38 minutes ago, Toftwood said:

How do you insert photos then write underneath like you used to??

As far as I can see, the photo goes in where the cursor is when you click the + button in the upload area. 

I tend to write the text using a word e.g. ‘bridge’ that describes the photo so that I have all the text in place. Then I upload the photos, then I position the cursor in/by the ‘word’ press + then delete the bits of the word.

I think it might be possible to use <right arrow> to get the cursor to move past the photo if using a keyboard.

Paul.

3 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

As far as I can see, the photo goes in where the cursor is when you click the + button in the upload area. 

I tend to write the text using a word e.g. ‘bridge’ that describes the photo so that I have all the text in place. Then I upload the photos, then I position the cursor in/by the ‘word’ press + then delete the bits of the word.

I think it might be possible to use <right arrow> to get the cursor to move past the photo if using a keyboard.

Paul.

Thanks I will try that. I much preferred the previous way of doing things......

Pete

• Friendly/supportive 1

I now have some track actually fixed IMG_1560.jpg.de1a4f946b38b09bf45cf535673d7710.jpgto the boards, as I said to Brian D its surprising how quick one can progress just by laying the odd yard of track now and then.IMG_1598.jpg.bb05b8ce05ee794c74916fe4d67f91b0.jpg

• Like 2

Excellent stuff. Just stumbled across this, can't believe I haven't spotted it before! I love the plan and the overall concept, so I look forward to following updates as the project progresses. You are definitely making the most of the space available. Mind, you are right about the effect that laying some track can have, it quickly starts to transform a layout beyond the embryonic 'bare board' stage - I hope it inspires you to crack on. Similarly, further down the line, just adding a little bit of greenery can very quickly bring a layout to life.

Keep up the good work! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

15 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Excellent stuff. Just stumbled across this, can't believe I haven't spotted it before! I love the plan and the overall concept, so I look forward to following updates as the project progresses. You are definitely making the most of the space available. Mind, you are right about the effect that laying some track can have, it quickly starts to transform a layout beyond the embryonic 'bare board' stage - I hope it inspires you to crack on. Similarly, further down the line, just adding a little bit of greenery can very quickly bring a layout to life.

Keep up the good work! 

Hi, thank you, its probably because I don't post on here very often as progress is quite slow. I have lots of other things to do that occupy my time so when something happens I try and post a little. Its taking time also as I want to 'do it right' and not rush. IMG_1596.jpg.50fc9d2108aca1d860d06dd885b6c143.jpgIMG_1597.jpg.8464c641a52d3bd5cfeda66175326160.jpg

I have started to weather the seven 16T minerals that I have as an experiment before tackling the 30 21T hoppers that are waiting in the wings. I will post some photos when they are finished.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Toftwood said:

thank you, its probably because I don't post on here very often as progress is quite slow. I have lots of other things to do that occupy my time so when something happens I try and post a little. Its taking time also as I want to 'do it right' and not rush

I think that is the best approach. Progress is still progress, however steady and as long as things are moving in the right direction than that is the key thing. I also have a number of other interests and progress on my modelling projects can only be described as glacial as a result! But I often feel there is no need to rush, it's a real cliché but the best things in life are often about the journey rather than the destination. I will follow your updates, however sporadic, with interest. 

As a complete aside, I see from a few references in your posts that you are based in sunny Suffolk! Ah the promised land...... so why you feel compelled to model the frozen north I do not know! :mosking:

Look forward to seeing the results from your weathering. Nothing screams 'the North East' more than a rake of grubby 21t hoppers behind a Q6 or class 37. 

Keep up the good work! :good_mini:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 10 July 2019 at 07:06, south_tyne said:

I think that is the best approach. Progress is still progress, however steady and as long as things are moving in the right direction than that is the key thing. I also have a number of other interests and progress on my modelling projects can only be described as glacial as a result! But I often feel there is no need to rush, it's a real cliché but the best things in life are often about the journey rather than the destination. I will follow your updates, however sporadic, with interest. 

As a complete aside, I see from a few references in your posts that you are based in sunny Suffolk! Ah the promised land...... so why you feel compelled to model the frozen north I do not know! https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_mosking.gif

Look forward to seeing the results from your weathering. Nothing screams 'the North East' more than a rake of grubby 21t hoppers behind a Q6 or class 37. 

Keep up the good work! https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_good_mini.gif

:laugh_mini: I like many on here hail from the surrounds of Tyneside/Teesside, being grudgingly dragged as a 6 or 7 yr old by an older brother, up to Newcastle Central to trainspot, cabbing black fire breathing monsters expecting them any minute to propel me away wherever, being frightened Sh!tless seeing my first Deltic, the noise! Wonderful! Happy memories.  I only saw the very end of steam though so grew up with diesels. Saw all the Deltics though missed their final days as was serving abroad in the RAF when they went. But then grew an affection for the HSTs and 91s which are now in their final years.

So after many different postings around mainly Europe and the UK I ended up in Suffolk but I still get my fix for the moment as I work on RAF Lakenheath with the GIs.

So to answer you're question, I wished to model somewhere I could combine Gresley's finest with as you say Q6s (I have a pair) and J27s (I have a pair on order) with rakes of 21T Hoppers, based loosely between Tynemouth and Blyth, ish if you close you're eyes etc etc :smoke:All within the constraints of 9' X 9'.

Pete

Edited by Toftwood
grammar
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Toftwood said:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_laugh_mini.gif I like many on here hail from the surrounds of Tyneside/Teesside, being grudgingly dragged as a 6 or 7 yr old by an older brother, up to Newcastle Central to trainspot, cabbing black fire breathing monsters expecting them any minute to propel me away wherever, being frightened Sh!tless seeing my first Deltic, the noise! Wonderful! Happy memories.  I only saw the very end of steam though so grew up with diesels. Saw all the Deltics though missed their final days as was serving abroad in the RAF when they went. But then grew an affection for the HSTs and 91s which are now in their final years.

So after many different postings around mainly Europe and the UK I ended up in Suffolk but I still get my fix for the moment as I work on RAF Lakenheath with the GIs.

So to answer you're question, I wished to model somewhere I could combine Gresley's finest with as you say Q6s (I have a pair) and J27s (I have a pair on order) with rakes of 21T Hoppers, based loosely between Tynemouth and Blyth, ish if you close you're eyes etc etc https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_smoke.gifAll within the constraints of 9' X 9'.

Pete

Pete,

Interesting memories there.....

The rose-tinted glow of nostalgia! :mosking: I am from Tyneside but most of my family is in Norfolk and Suffolk! I had a spell living and working down in Ipswich, which I loved. I am very fond of your part of the world, having spent many happy times staying with family in Beck Row, within sight of RAF Mildenhall! :) So I'm sat in the North East pining for East Anglia! :laugh_mini:

Anyway, enough of my waffle and back to railways...... I really look forward to seeing what you do. 

Thanks for sharing,

David 

• Friendly/supportive 1

I have been spending an evening or two experimenting with weathering some Bachmann 16T mineral wagons.  They are a darker grey than they should be but i did not want to spoil the lettering and numbering so just roughly followed several weathering guides and had a go. I did the insides first mixing small amounts of Humbrol matt 113, 133 and 82 and with rough broad strokes ended up with this. IMG_1621.JPG.32eecd9c3096d7c579a1e7036bacf60e.JPG I then gave all a wash of MIG Dk Wash swiped off with cotton buds to get this effect and let the whole lot dry over night. IMG_1622.JPG.95b5e4d1012a675d5fd459dd8365f578.JPG To go further with the rusting I again mixed various parts of Matt 113 and 133 with a touch of 53 (gunmetal) and attacked the outsides in various ways using cotton buds and brush strokes to effect. They are not finished yet, I have to do the chassis and running gear plus maybe some further detailing but not bad for a first attempt. IMG_1623.JPG.b684cbbd2805fd267f6280aec1acb76b.JPGIMG_1624.JPG.a65c6ec486364712c0361b89035496d0.JPGIMG_1626.JPG.0a29b8ea22e4d118447cfd29eb2fc5af.JPG

• Like 5