13 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I'm told there is a small screw in the Fan Motor that is a potentiometer, and can adjust the Fan speed. 

Thanks Andy

That I didn't know - looks like the body is coming off again!

Paul R

• Friendly/supportive 1

Well I have run the Hymek upside down with the keeper plate removed and now discovered I have bene looking in the wrong place. The final drive gear on the wheel set axle is split which is a new one on me. 

So another order to Ultrascale. This is getting expensive

Paul R

• Friendly/supportive 5

35 minutes ago, pwr said:

Well Ultrascale have done me proud again and the gears are in the post.

Anyone know how to get wheels of Heljan axles and do they go back OK?

Paul R

Not sure, but i have a gear puller if need to borrow one? 

• Friendly/supportive 1

17 minutes ago, woodyfox said:

Not sure, but i have a gear puller if need to borrow one? 

Very kind of you sir. I will certainly bear that in mind.

Paul R

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, pwr said:

Very kind of you sir. I will certainly bear that in mind.

Paul R

I also have the nickel silver etch from Fox Transfers of the cab side digits if you want it? I used 2x D7020 for mine and won't ever need the leftovers for another not being an accumulator of Hymeks. Feel free to use and pass on to another who might use them. I understand some Heljan Hymeks have flat numerals? 

Cheers 

15 hours ago, woodyfox said:

I also have the nickel silver etch from Fox Transfers of the cab side digits if you want it? I used 2x D7020 for mine and won't ever need the leftovers for another not being an accumulator of Hymeks. Feel free to use and pass on to another who might use them. I understand some Heljan Hymeks have flat numerals? 

Cheers 

That's right mine are flat. That's a very kind offer I am happy to take up. I'll DM you my address. 

Paul R

No probs. 

When i did mine i stuck them face down on some masking tape so the alignment was easier. Then i painted the backs with gloss varnish and attached them to the body. Worked quite well. 

IMG_20210310_081203.jpg.d69fd0f5f5865b3a7c1247167de8398e.jpg

Cruel close up of mine. The D is painted out. 

Cheers 

Edited by woodyfox
  • Like 1

Well thanks to Ultrascale's excellent service I now have the 4 final drive gears shown on the bottom of the loco with the keeper plate removed. The gear on the axle next to the replacement is split. Interestingly the 35 is not listed on the packet although its the same gear as the other locos.

In other news I have ordered another BMC tipper and will convert that to a BR crew bus or a Mothers Pride bakery van.

It might take some time as there are too many projects on the go right now!

Modelling time is going to be limited as I have to empty my workshop - otherwise known as the downstairs study - as we have the decorators in and its the only room in the house that's never been done since it was built. I had no choice in the matter!!!  All the stuff has to come out and as we are having a new carpet its going to be largely unavailable until we can get carpet ordered. 

Gears-1.jpg.33ae1c70d44b2f129abb8fcecd4dc466.jpg

In the meantime I have nearly finished the buffer beam for the Freightliner outer.

Paul R

• Like 4

1 minute ago, pwr said:

Well thanks to Ultrascale's excellent service I now have the 4 final drive gears shown on the bottom of the loco with the keeper plate removed. The gear on the axle next to the replacement is split. Interestingly the 35 is not listed on the packet although its the same gear as the other locos.

In other news I have ordered another BMC tipper and will convert that to a BR crew bus or a Mothers Pride bakery van.

It might take some time as there are too many projects on the go right now!

Modelling time is going to be limited as I have to empty my workshop - otherwise known as the downstairs study - as we have the decorators in and its the only room in the house that's never been done since it was built. I had no choice in the matter!!!  All the stuff has to come out and as we are having a new carpet its going to be largely unavailable until we can get carpet ordered. 

Gears-1.jpg.33ae1c70d44b2f129abb8fcecd4dc466.jpg

In the meantime I have nearly finished the buffer beam for the Freightliner outer.

Paul R

I will be interested in what you do with the FG, I have one in my cupboard I bought cheap and am undecided what to do with it.. 

37 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

The promised Heljan replacement gears have arrived. Looks like they might be a different type this time?

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/news/article/view/id/360/?fbclid=IwAR3bMFPhPhP5-GiHd3yhQ2p2QvUWcPzwWKTXIUUNmIhbLuk2XEROz41HZEo

These appear to be the cluster gears rather than the final drive. These don't seem to be listed.

I have a full set of the cluster gears in plastic and a set of Ultrascale replacements the latter being set aside for the 37 when that next fails. The plastic ones are for the Deltic if they ever go. I checked out the price of the couplings - £14.25. That's a bit steep but they do appear to be of a design which would mean a normal replacement would not fit so I may have to bite the bullet.

Paul R

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, pwr said:

These appear to be the cluster gears rather than the final drive. These don't seem to be listed.

I have a full set of the cluster gears in plastic and a set of Ultrascale replacements the latter being set aside for the 37 when that next fails. The plastic ones are for the Deltic if they ever go. I checked out the price of the couplings - £14.25. That's a bit steep but they do appear to be of a design which would mean a normal replacement would not fit so I may have to bite the bullet.

Paul R

Yes most of the time its the clusters that have been reported to fail - I suspect your final drive might have been damaged by the clusters going first?

Seen someone elsewhere suggest they have redesigned them to be a free fit on the axle now.

4 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Yes most of the time its the clusters that have been reported to fail - I suspect your final drive might have been damaged by the clusters going first?

Seen someone elsewhere suggest they have redesigned them to be a free fit on the axle now.

That might indeed be the case. The final drive gears all seem to be a free fit judging how easily they came off when I took the bogies off the Hymek, the exception of course being that on the drive axle which of course is the one I need to get off. I am currently minded only to change the one that is split and do the others if they fail or for some reason running is affected. 

Paul R

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, pwr said:

That might indeed be the case. The final drive gears all seem to be a free fit judging how easily they came off when I took the bogies off the Hymek, the exception of course being that on the drive axle which of course is the one I need to get off. I am currently minded only to change the one that is split and do the others if they fail or for some reason running is affected. 

Paul R

Its tricky isnt it. I nearly bought enough to last a lifetime (well 4 anyway) but then thought if they still fail I'm just throwing good money after bad so got a couple to cover one bogie.

Then on reflection at £9 each for the new Heljan, I'd probably have been better just paying the extra for Ultrascale so might try and cancel.

Edit - Heljan are £9 a pair in fact.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, Hal Nail said:

Its tricky isnt it. I nearly bought enough to last a lifetime (well 4 anyway) but then thought if they still fail I'm just throwing good money after bad so got a couple to cover one bogie.

Then on reflection at £9 each, I'd have been better just paying the extra for Ultrascale so might try and cancel.

The final drive gears were not that much more expensive than the Heljan. It was a no brainer. Plus you can be sure that it fixes the problem once and for all although the news that they cluster gears are now free running should sort the problem.

Paul R

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, pwr said:

The final drive gears were not that much more expensive than the Heljan. It was a no brainer. Plus you can be sure that it fixes the problem once and for all although the news that they cluster gears are now free running should sort the problem.

Paul R

9 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Then on reflection at £9 each, I'd have been better just paying the extra for Ultrascale so might try and cancel.

Something will always be in the back of my mind that they may split again over time so I will 'bite the bullet' and pay the extra and have the gears replaced with Ultrascale ones, that way my confidence won't be shattered later on.

Jim 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, jcarta said:

Something will always be in the back of my mind that they may split again over time so I will 'bite the bullet' and pay the extra and have the gears replaced with Ultrascale ones, that way my confidence won't be shattered later on.

Jim 

You are not wrong Jim as experience from my 37 will support although in fairness to Heljan these were not the free running new versions.

Paul R

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, pwr said:

You are not wrong Jim as experience from my 37 will support although in fairness to Heljan these were not the free running new versions.

Paul R

Decided now I've ordered I might as well try the new ones - its still a decent saving over a full loco, let alone several.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

Decided now I've ordered I might as well try the new ones - its still a decent saving over a full loco, let alone several.

Very true.

The Ultrascale are £15 each plus postage and for £18 you can get a  complete Heljan set.  I guess as always you pays your money and makes your choice.  Not everyone can afford Ultrascale and whilst the issue of whether Heljan should take responsibility for the faults remains open, hats off to them for producing these as at least it allows owners to repair and get their locos running. I hope they don't all sell too quickly and/or they continue to produce supplies whilst there is demand.

Paul R

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, pwr said:

Very true.

The Ultrascale are £15 each plus postage and for £18 you can get a  complete Heljan set.  I guess as always you pays your money and makes your choice.  Not everyone can afford Ultrascale and whilst the issue of whether Heljan should take responsibility for the faults remains open, hats off to them for producing these as at least it allows owners to repair and get their locos running. I hope they don't all sell too quickly and/or they continue to produce supplies whilst there is demand.

Paul R

Must admit despite looking at the picture, I hadn't twigged you get 2 for £9! So I do now have a lifetime supply afterall and some spare ultrascale as well!

• Like 2

Moving on from gears I have spent a bit of time crafting the buffer beam for the Freightliner outer.

Just soldered it on to the deck

Buffer-1.jpg.aad5d7aef00b583be60a4fe0f1b95c2f.jpg

The shot shows it as soldered and before cleaning up.

I trial fitted a set of buffers which look OK but the kit is a bit inaccurate on this piece as I think the beam itself should be deeper. However it is what it is and the ride height is OK next to other vehicles so I am content with that. 

Not sure whether to solder the buffer housing or glue them. Minded towards the former for strength.

In advance of my pending redundancy - 7 weeks to go tomorrow, I have handed on most of my work to others so I am hoping to get some paid modelling time before I leave!!

Paul R

• Like 3