Class 83 models

Or you can wait to see if I can get a 3D drawing of the AL3 tanks up and going. Now that I know that I was doing an AL5 I will have to restart but once I get the dimensions from the drawing I should be able to get a drawing done.

Hmm, maybe I should buy a 3D printer and start my own company making OO gauge parts for AC electric locomotives! :jester:

Edited by jsp3970
  • Agree 1

Or you can wait to see if I can get a 3D drawing of the AL3 tanks up and going. Now that I know that I was doing an AL5 I will have to restart but once I get the dimensions from the drawing I should be able to get a drawing done.

Hmm, maybe I should buy a 3D printer and start my own company making OO gauge parts for AC electric locomotives! :jester:

put me down for a set ;)

AL1-4 parts would probably go down well with a select group. With the moulded shells getting scarcer, a 3d print 'kit' of sides, ends, roof, and details to drop on the purchasers chassis of choice would probably go down well. Plus all the existing model 'errors' can be designed out.

• RMweb Gold

So looking at the drawings on flickr it looks like there were several different types of tanks, If the drawings are accurate!

81 had all three tanks of the same size.

Let's squash that one before it gets taken as fact, 81 tanks are not all the same size 

post-6674-0-77923600-1418326940_thumb.jpg

Andi

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Well it arrived last week, just a shell and bogie sides. By my standards I think the quality of them is superb, very good detail on the white metal castings and a good thick strong mould for the body with just a couple of minor burrs on 1 window frame and a light scribe along the body side grills to clear a small blemish. Very nice. Cross arm pan, air tanks and a couple of other roof details to source now :)

Cool, be glad to compare notes with you on building one of these. Haven't started the air tanks yet, been working on the underside of the AL1.

One thing I would like for you to check is does the AL3 seem lower than it should be? As noted about I tried to check if the X942 Hornby motor would fit but the the top of the motor makes contact with the inside of the roof.

I don't know how long you want to wait for the tanks but if you don't mind me working on them please be patient as I do have an illness (fibromaylgia to be exact), and there are days it hurts me to do any fine detail, or the housework even!

I would love to a Applegreen AL2 and AL4, had actually planned it but now it seems the company doesn't exist anymore and they can only be purchased off ebay.

Edited by jsp3970

No hurry, I have a fairly glacial modelling pace and the AL3 is firmly in the large project pile. I'll see what chassis I have about to check ride height, my only 33 (lima) is currently out for weathering but I think I have a 73 that may fit temporarily. Heljan 33 would be my preference but I'd feel less nervous hacking about a Lima.

First job will be to address the issues mentioned above then give it a paint and transfer application. The roof parts will be fitted seperately later. Edge's cross arm will be fun to try as I'd also like to fit one to an 86 (torn between br blue or ic exec for that one) but the 83 will definately be in ic exec livery.

the seller I got the AL3 from also had an AL4, I don't think it sold. They weren't labled under any brand though so I still have no idea if they're apple green or not.

As excuses not to do the housework go, that's a good one ;) take it easy and have a good christmas.

• RMweb Gold

Edge's cross arm will be fun to try as I'd also like to fit one to an 86 (torn between br blue or ic exec for that one)

Did any 86s carry cross arm pans in exec livery?

Edit: I've just found that I have a photo of 227 in exec with a cross arm pan

2nd edit: add 233 and 252 :)

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 1

Did any 86s carry cross arm pans in exec livery?Edit: I've just found that I have a photo of 227 in exec with a cross arm pan2nd edit: add 233 and 252 :)Andi

This one certainly did if only for a short while:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/68729621@N03/12216832225/

I think 227 looks quite good with that livery/pan combination. Nice to hear others had it too.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Whoa those tanks are works of art !!'

they are very shiny! Just put in the order for 3 more of the smaller ones, what I can gather from the convo is 'shouldn't be a problem, we still have the remains of that brass rod left.' So they've been shaped from solid brass rod!

• 10 months later...

Here´s someone i know who´s done an amazing job of building ac locos,   Enjoy

https://www.flickr.com/photos/72534109@N07

Awesome - thanks for that. It's amazing how a few models like that (and they are very nice) can take me right back in time. Travelling through BNS in the early 80s every day, it was mainly 86s and 87s, of course, but one occasionally saw something a little rarer.

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

fabulous job on those 83s, having spent quite some time around '012 and the other old ACs I can tell you've got the look just right.  I look forward to more shots of your fleet; like the AM10 and large-logo grey 87 hiding in the background of the above photos....

I have both a set of MTK sides and ends for an AM10/12 and a DC Kits 82 in my projects pile (probably about #93 and #94, to be honest) but some inspiration might move them up the queue.

Rob

Thank you for your very kind comments. I was a bit nervous of putting the photos up as this is my first ever post on any model railway forum. The sound on board the 83's is a very special project and is complete with tap changing effects as well. The twin  speakers are concealed in the under frame equipment which I've scratch built. They are both incredibly loud! The lighting consists of independent marker lights, independent tail lights and independent cab lights and fitted out cabs.

Well spotted concerning the 310 and 87 006. The 87 is the current Hornby one which I have completely gutted and rebuilt electronically from scratch. Using a Loksound 5 I've been able to fit the correct shade of marker lights, separately controllable centre headlights, independent tail lights and independent cab lights. I've also fitted some LED's in the equipment room which are a lot dimmer and again they can be switched on and off, a total of 9 lighting functions. I've removed the circuit board and hacked the chassis and I've managed to get a very loud sound out of it by fitting a larger speaker. The cabs are detailed and even include the ammeters. The 310 is the first kit that I've ever built and being originally from the midlands I remember them very well. I've fitted out the interior as I remember them and even put curtains in the 1st class compartment. It's very sad that none survive. In time, I'll post some more photos of my fleet which does include Class 81's, & 82's. To start the ball rolling, here are a couple of photo's of 87 006 & 310 084.

87 006 - 1.jpg

87_006_-_2.jpg

87_006_-_3.jpg

310 - 1.jpg

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

• RMweb Gold

your class 310 looks amazing, the interior is fantastic.

I love the wood panelling at the end of the carriages, brings back happy memories of commuting on them for many years in the 70s and 80s.

Would love to see more photos of them! 

• Like 1

On 22/05/2020 at 14:11, Rail Steven said:

Being a massive early AC electric Loco fan, I have suddenly found more time on my hands so I've decided to start  building models of  the early AC electric classes. Top of my list was the Class 83 so I've just completed not one but two of them. They have full DCC sound and functionality and attached are a couple of photos of the completed locos. More loco classes of the era to follow! LMK if you want any further info.spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

83009.jpg

Class_83_83009.jpg

Pair_of_83's.jpg

What is the origin of these locos, or are they scratchbuild by you?

Very lovely models whatever the source.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
typo
  • Like 1

Thank you again for your kind comments. They are not constructed from a kit but I have used a pair of Bachmann class 85 cabs as the starting point. I have re profiled them to try and capture the class 83 shape and then added the wrap around rain strip to complete the effect. I’ve used the R S Carter drawings for reference as well as many other photos to scratch build practically everything else.The Class 83 was quite a short stubby A.C. electric loco and I’ve mounted the body onto a milled Heljan Class 26 chassis. All the bogies, underframe equipment, buffer beams and roof mounted bits including the air tanks were again scratch built. I’ve also incorporated the pairs of hooks under the cab doors and there are many other subtle details added such as the chains on the bogies and the fire handle pull boxes. There was quite a lot of electrical conduit on the buffer beams and again I’ve modelled that using brass wire. My pet hate are the yellow LED’s that nearly all the manufacturers use that create an unrealistic ‘sodium’ glow so the domino dots and cabs are all lit by nano warm white LED’s. The grilles are courtesy of Michael Edge. I hope that is some interest for you and in due course, I’ll post more photos of my early AC fleet.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2