Great British Train Show 2018, April 28-29/2018 (Brampton, Ontario, Canada)

sjgardiner

Hello all,

I'm not affiliated in any way with the show, but I noticed that a thread hadn't been started for this years GBTS in Brampton (near Toronto), Ontario.  I know it's been touched on in other places with the layout being built in BRM Magazine over the next few issues that will be raffled off at the show.

The show is Saturday-Sunday April 28 & 29 2018 at the Jim Archdekin Recreation Centre in Brampton. More information on the show is on the Rapido Trains and Platelayers websites and the show flyer below:

Rapido: https://rapidotrains.com/gbts/

Platelayers: http://www.theplatelayers.org/

GBTS_flyer_800px.jpg

I look forward to hopefully meeting some North American RMWebers at the show, and any brave souls who happen to be across the Atlantic to join in from the UK.

Cheers,

Stephen

• Like 4

I'll be passing myself off as a craftsman again this year.

Drop by and I'll show things you can do when mommy finally lets you use a sharp knife.

Probably much the same thing as happens when SWMBO lets me have new blades, sliced fingers and unrepeatable four letter words.

I've displayed at a lot of shows for the Toronto Railway Museum over recent years, but never been brave enough to actively show off my technique in front of the public, maybe someday I'll be refined enough to be presentable as i work!

I look forward to seeing whatever you are building come the end of April!

Stephen

• RMweb Premium

Stephen:

I do the card kits for a couple of reasons. It's a process that's unfamiliar to North Americans. It's something that the younger modeller can do. The finishing has been done already so I don't have to show what I can't do.

I don't have a kit selected yet; I finished RM's free one already and I finally finished the signal box from 4? years ago.

Note that Rapido are sponsoring us this year.  We're wondering if they might have something interesting to show.

Edited by BR60103
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just a bump as the show is now only a couple of weeks away.  I'm looking forward to it and catching up with lots of folks in the British modelling community.  I don't see me having a big shopping list for the show, but I inevitably find something I can't pass up at it!

I'll be posting pictures and a review after the show has happened so folks further afield can see what the community in Canada is up to.

Stephen

Is it always this time of year? I can't be there this year but I could schedule a visit to my newly emigrated family in Toronto for next year.

Tony

Sorry Tony, next GBTS after this one will be in 2020.

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Premium

Tony: GBTS is every 2 years on a weekend at the end of April/beginning of May.  We try to schedule it on the first weekend after the ice melts out of the arena. 

In the odd years we have a Symposium which is aimed at the club members and friends, not the public.

Just a thought, I assume there has been discussion about making GBTS an annual event.  Curious to know what the feelings are about that.

John

I am not a member of the Platelayers, but those who are that i've talked with I think feel that keeping it every other year avoids the risk of it ever feeling stale as people have two years between shows to work on things, and gives people who may want to travel from further away in Canada/USA time to save up for the trip.

I like that it isn't every year, gives me something different to look forward to.  Personally, given the distances in Canada and USA, i think a lot of "niche" segment shows could really use considering a biannual schedule rather than annual to give presenters, modellers and customers more time to build up to the show.  I know niche vendors probably don't like that as much, But you don't want to over saturate the market or burn out the clubs organizing events.

Regardless, as always, I am very much looking forward to the show when it rolls around in a couple of weeks, then I get two years to build up to the next in 2020!

Stephen

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking forwards to it.  I think I'll go Saturday, as it looks as if it's going to be a rainy day......now it's finally stopped snowing!

Edit: for clarification...

Edited by Blackthorn

• RMweb Premium

I'm back from setup.

I saw people from Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver Island (that I could identify) as well as the boys from Markham. And someplace near Newcastle.

Come and say Hi to me as I play with sharp knives and glue.

Edited by BR60103

You make me jealous. I wish I was there to take my grandson. Glad to see that the snow from two weeks ago has gone.

I have also seen that the 2017 Narrow Gauge Ontario Show was in Schomberg near to where the family were house hunting. Can't wait for my first trip there.

Very best of luck with the show. 

Tony

Edited by TonyA

Some pictures of GBTS '18 taken at the rink taken just before the paying guests arrived.

post-5047-0-84823700-1525044295_thumb.jpg

The west end of the rink.

post-5047-0-25361800-1525044360_thumb.jpg

Centre ice, note the Tardis, courtesy Rapido....or was it??

post-5047-0-16117400-1525044433_thumb.jpg

The east end of the rink. Phil Parker of this Parish (I've always wanted to say that) can be seen just in front of the Rapido booth explaining his demo layout from Model Rail that was later raffled off.

Cheers,

David

• Like 2

• Administrators

The east end of the rink. Phil Parker of this Parish (I've always wanted to say that) can be seen just in front of the Rapido booth explaining his demo layout from Model Rail that was later raffled off.

Cheers,

David

NOT Model Rail - BRM!

NOT Model Rail - BRM!

My sincere apologies. At the time of posting I was still recovering from two days of exhibiting and a day previous of setup and two hours per day of commuting. No offence intended.

Cheers,

David

I missed the show for the last couple of cyles but I'm so happy to have attended this time.  I was a guest operator on Roweham, 7mm GWR set in the late 50s.  It is a lovely layout and I relished the opportunity to run my stock in a layout setting (mines a long way off).  You can see the layout in the second picture above at center left.  I think I shocked Brian by bringing my Cl 08 out to play but he seemed to recover.  Thanks to Brian and the crew for making my weekend, I was proud to be associated with Roweham.

Brian has sent me a link to an article about Roweham, for those who want to know more:

http://themodelrailwayshow.com/LayoutDesign/?m=201802

There were a surprising number of 7mm layouts in attendance (I think 5), perhaps underlining the resurgence of the scale led by Dapol and demographics (grey hairs).

I thought the prize layout was lovely, I was very impressed.  Happy that it recovered from its journey.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 1

Personally I thought it was one of the better shows I have been to.  I think I heard someone say to Phil Parker that he was doing a video.  Can anyone confirm that?

One of the show managers did mention that there might be something on YouTube but exactly when was not made clear.

Cheers,

David

• Like 1