Snow on the Cambrian 1981

My dad has scanned some photos of the heavy snowfall we had in the early 1980s when we lived in llwyngwril on the Cambrian coast, (pretty sure it was 1981)

There may be more as my dad scans them, hope they are of interest

I hope there are more, they are superb.

I never took many snow photos, we don't get much in Somerset, but I have some photos from December 1981 which may be the same weather event.

I sometimes wonder how 'we' will cope with that kind of snowfall again, not very well I suspect! 

cheers

I certainly remember the winter of 1981/82 as being a particularly harsh one. IIRC that was when I saw ice on the sea surface for the first, and so far only, time, off the Somerset coast between Stolford and Steart.

I don't know about down south, but up north we know how to deal with snow. There are some simple rules to follow.

1. At the first forecast of snow, go out panic buying all sorts of cr&p you don't need.

2. As soon as the first snowflake falls, make sure you tell all your friends on Facebook, as they may not have windows to look out of.

3. Then realise you still have to goto work, and drive like a tit, causing chaos.

4. When you get stuck, abandon your car in the worst spot possible.

5. Remember to complain about lack of gritters and busses, because they are stuck behind your abandoned car.

6. If you have a 4wheel drive, you have 2 driving styles-

A-terrified, never exceed 20mph

B-loony, foot to the floor, and wonder why it slides off the road.

7. BMW drivers who speed everywhere and push their way in normally, will be creeping along as they have had their expensive Johnson extension rear end try to go first, and don't know why.

Well, that's what happens round here.

Oh, I forgot one.

8. The best time is if it snows bad for a few days and the muppets get stuck at home, allowing those of us who know how to drive to play

Edited by cheesysmith

I don't know about down south, but up north we know how to deal with snow. There are some simple rules to follow.

1. At the first forecast of snow, go out panic buying all sorts of cr&p you don't need.

2. As soon as the first snowflake falls, make sure you tell all your friends on Facebook, as they may not have windows to look out of.

3. Then realise you still have to goto work, and drive like a tit, causing chaos.

5. Remember to complain about lack of gritters and busses, because they are stuck behind your abandoned car.

7. BMW drivers who speed everywhere and push their way in normally, will be creeping along as they have had their expensive Johnson extension rear end try to go first, and don't know why.

Oh, I forgot one.

8. The best time is if it snows bad for a few days and the muppets get stuck at home, allowing those of us who know how to drive to play

Or alternatively fit winter tyres to your BMW (1 series in my case) and never get stuck while actively looking for snow to "play in".

Or put another way, don't tar everyone with the same brush! 

• Like 1

I have winter tyres too admiles, after 3 years of mild winters proving to be a very worthwhile investment.

Drew puzzled looks from those driving other rear wheel drive vehicles the other week as they got less traction than a bullied pacific up from Exeter central....

• Like 1

As it happens, it's snowing in S Yorks right now, but I can't find a camera to share it with everyone. You'll just have to imagine it. Like big rain drops, but white and fluffier. Quite cold to the touch. How about a picture of my breakfast instead...

And thanks to big jim for the photos. Hope you find some more.

• Like 1

Oh, I forgot one.

My preferred method for dealing with snow is to be well prepared in advance.

Middle of June - buy all the right clothes, buy the right shoes and purchase the best top of the range snow shovel you can find.

In short, think ahead of the curve and before everyone else, knowing you at least will be ready when all around are not, thus ensuring it hardly snows for the next five years.

A similar strategy works well for the summer, stock up in February with lots of summer clothes, designer tea shirts, the tailored shorts and most important of all the expensive designer sunglass all setting you up to be the coolest looking dude in the heat wave that is to come.

Next three summers, p*****g it down, guaranteed.