Horse drawn dray dimensions

I want to draw a basic flat bed heavy duty railway horse drawn dray cir 1900 in 4mm 00 scale to cut out and build using the silhouette cutter just for my own use but seem to be having problems finding any sort of drawings or dimensions for one on google.

Has any one got a set of drawings or the basic dimensions for one including the wheel diameters they could let me have.

Thanks Steve

I'm not sure but I guess not. Some railway drays were just flat beds with no seats. the driver just walking along side when the draw was full or just sat on the corner with dangling legs at other times then again you see some with seats like brewers drays so who can say?

The HMRS has a number of drawings of horse drawn vehicles, although they are a little difficult to find. If you start off, say, with the LBSCR, you can select the relevant category, and there are quite a few drawings that can be previewed and many are dimensioned. Having selected Horse drawn vehicles as the category, you can then find several other companies now listed, the GWR being particularly well represented.

From 'Great Western Horse Power' by Janet Russell (OPC):-

Described as, "One Horse Lorry",

Shafts 8' long, Wheel Dia. 3' 3",  3' 10" Ground level to floor, Floor 11' 10½" x 5' 7", sides 6 3/8" high, of which 3" is floor.

The Drawing shows a curvy topped frontboard 1'  high (above the sides), but the "Paddington Pattern" also has a seat and the "Bristol Pattern" lacks the front board.

The dished wheels are inclined outwards, so that the spokes are vertical when in line with the road.

Slaters used to do a plastic kit for a dray, complete with horse (MR IIRC). Possibly they still do?

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I came across these diagrams and notes in "Modern Railway working" dated about 1912. There are a few more pages of description which I could scan if they would be useful.

post-6902-0-04124700-1518213187_thumb.jpg

post-6902-0-51301900-1518213274_thumb.jpg

post-6902-0-37651200-1518213422_thumb.jpg

post-6902-0-40965900-1518213441_thumb.jpg

I hope the detailed drawing could be used to fill out convincing details in the diagrams.

Dave

• Like 2

I came across these diagrams and notes in "Modern Railway working" dated about 1912. There are a few more pages of description which I could scan if they would be useful.

attachicon.gifscan001.jpg

attachicon.gifscan002.jpg

attachicon.gifscan003.jpg

attachicon.gifscan004.jpg

I hope the detailed drawing could be used to fill out convincing details in the diagrams.

Dave

Do you by any chance have a higher resolution copy of that first one? Looks just like the Midlands design.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Do you by any chance have a higher resolution copy of that first one? Looks just like the Midlands design.

Here it is, I had uploaded the files before I remembered that there was a bigger file limit. If this doesn't work I'll PM you the file.

post-6902-0-24124000-1518279796_thumb.jpg

Dave

• Like 1

attachicon.gifscan001.jpg

attachicon.gifscan002.jpg

attachicon.gifscan003.jpg

attachicon.gifscan004.jpg

Dave

Help!

Can anyone translate the construction instructions in this piece, please (or advise on further texts)?

martin