Does anyone know where the National Rail website gets its info from?

jonny777

If I venture to the National Rail Enquiries website and enter trains from Sea Mills (Bristol) to Nailsea & Backwell for either Sunday 18th or 25th February, I will be gobsmacked to find there is listed a 1003 through train to Taunton arriving at Nailsea at 1037. 

This was also advertised for today (at least when my daughter looked last week) so she decided to bring the grandchildren on it for a treat. Only to find that it seemingly does not exist, neither for today or any other Sunday for that matter. 

So where have the NRE computers gained this fictitious service from? And how many more on their site are a complete figment of the imagination purely to mess up the public and their plans?

Does anyone have the answers, because GWR do not?

Being curious and having a nosey at RTT, it shows for today....

2C71 - 10:24 from Bristol Temple Meads to Taunton.

Arrives Nailsea & Backwell at 10:37

This train starts from BRI, having arrived there a few minutes earlier as ECS from St. Philips marsh depot as the 5C71.

It's actually live on Live Departure Boards and RTT as I type this.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/V80378/2018/02/11/advanced

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C50387/2018/02/11/advanced

Again, according to RTT, last Sunday, the same train service (2C71) started from Severn Beach, calling at Sea Mills (showing leaving 1 min late but still given as OT)

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C50387/2018/02/04/advanced

It appears to be listed on RTT as running from Severn Beach every Sunday from next week until at least the end of March.

The service is also listed in the GWR timetable.

Could it be the case that the service was amended today only?

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

Yes, that is very strange. 

And yet I phoned GWR enquiries and he said there were no engineering works listed for the Severn Beach line today. 

It may remain a mystery. I have table 133 for that line and there are no through trains listed to Taunton for any Sunday.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, that is very strange. 

And yet I phoned GWR enquiries and he said there were no engineering works listed for the Severn Beach line today. 

It may remain a mystery. I have table 133 for that line and there are no through trains listed to Taunton for any Sunday.

Hi Jonny,

According to Realtime Trains 2K14 and 2K15 (the first two services today) didn't run today between Avonmouth and Severn Beach because of "over running engineering works".

In answer to your other question in your first post, Network Rail are responsible for producing the WTT, but this is in consultation with the TOC (GWR in this case) who would be requesting the various train paths. I'm not entirely sure who has the final responsibility for producing the GBTT, perhaps ATOC?

I note that GWR introduced a new timetable from 02/01/2018 and can only assume that somewhere/somehow the NRE database has not updated correctly any timetable changes or is corrupted in some way. The Realtime Trains website does not show any through services to Taunton from Sea Mills for today, so I imagine their database/information source has the correct information.

Regards, Ian.

Thanks all. 

My daughter came on the bus instead. Fortunately she managed to catch the no.4 at 0944 so was not too inconvenienced. 

I will have a check next Sunday to see if the 1003 to Taunton runs. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jonny,

According to Realtime Trains 2K14 and 2K15 (the first two services today) didn't run today between Avonmouth and Severn Beach because of "over running engineering works".

In answer to your other question in your first post, Network Rail are responsible for producing the WTT, but this is in consultation with the TOC (GWR in this case) who would be requesting the various train paths. I'm not entirely sure who has the final responsibility for producing the GBTT, perhaps ATOC?

I note that GWR introduced a new timetable from 02/01/2018 and can only assume that somewhere/somehow the NRE database has not updated correctly any timetable changes or is corrupted in some way. The Realtime Trains website does not show any through services to Taunton from Sea Mills for today, so I imagine their database/information source has the correct information.

Regards, Ian.

Some correction needed there I think.  Network Rail publish the Working timetable but they don't actually produce it as such as their role is to verify and accept the timetables submitted by the train operators carrying out reconciliation between operators when clashes occur (although most of that in respect of passenger services takes place at teh start of the iteration process).  Below is the production schedule for the 2017/18 timetable

post-6859-0-56678300-1518363962_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-38445700-1518363983_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

Some correction needed there I think. Network Rail publish the Working timetable but they don't actually produce it as such as their role is to verify and accept the timetables submitted by the train operators carrying out reconciliation between operators when clashes occur (although most of that in respect of passenger services takes place at teh start of the iteration process). Below is the production schedule for the 2017/18 timetable

attachicon.gifTT Production Schedule.jpg

attachicon.gifSchedule 2.jpg

Thanks fir the clarification Mike.

Regards, Ian.

Edited by iands

Well, as with all these things these days - big brother at GWR HQ has tracked my mobile number from the phone call I made and sent me a feedback form to fill in. 

That is the first mistake companies can make with me - sending out feedback forms. 

A second and even bigger mistake for them will be to actually read my lengthy submission on this subject. 

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. 

Things have gone to plan today, and the 1003 from Sea Mills (ex-Severn Beach) to Taunton ran as timetabled. Another morning service runs in the opposite direction, but this time from Exeter St Davids to Severn Beach. 

I wonder if any hardy souls will do the entire route? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Wow. 

Things have gone to plan today, and the 1003 from Sea Mills (ex-Severn Beach) to Taunton ran as timetabled. Another morning service runs in the opposite direction, but this time from Exeter St Davids to Severn Beach. 

I wonder if any hardy souls will do the entire route? 

Only the most dedicated route-bashers, and I wouldn't mind betting the same applied to the one-time marathon Regional Railways service that ran from Exmouth to (IIRC) Haverfordwest (but not in the other direction).

These are stunt workings, utilising what would otherwise be layover time (in this case at BTM) to increase the number of destinations having "through services" for TOC advertising purposes. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Only the most dedicated route-bashers, and I wouldn't mind betting the same applied to the one-time marathon Regional Railways service that ran from Exmouth to (IIRC) Haverfordwest (but not in the other direction).

These are stunt workings, utilising what would otherwise be layover time (in this case at BTM) to increase the number of destinations having "through services" for TOC advertising purposes. 

John

They never used to be regarded as 'stunts' the main reason for them being to either use any slack in diagrams and/or help out with platform working by avoiding trains sitting there waiting to turnround.  Regional railways stared going for this sort of thing in the late 1980s/early '90s as they found they could get some attractive services with quite economical unit working although alas pone of the last ones they came up with (Swindon - Peterborough) never came off because of privatisation.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So where have the NRE computers gained this fictitious service from? And how many more on their site are a complete figment of the imagination purely to mess up the public and their plans?

NRE are the official link from Network Rail - all the information on their system comes direct from the Network Rail computer systems. If its in their system, then its in the main Railway system as well.

As has been said Network Rail (in association with the passenger and freight operators) produce the railway WTT, but each passenger operator then has responsibility for printing their own timetables/leaflets etc.

John

Its also a case of reducing platform occupancy.  If a unit is out on a service then a) its not tying up a platform and b) its earning money.

Rich