Eyemouth O gauge 1906ish or 1923ish

sir douglas

Ernie has uploaded 2 more very interesting photos of Eyemouth

the first one is useful as otherwise i wouldnt have known that have after a dozen yards past the building, the platform and retaining wall were timber and there is a bench set into the wall

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/43327202714/in/feed

second gives a good close up and colour look at the bufferstop and building

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/43327201754/in/feed

Edited by sir douglas

17.95 is quite steep for a paperback book on a 3 mile branch line?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Eyemouth-Branch-by-Roger-C-Jermy-9780853613640-Paperback-2018/302833543047?epid=2293326330&hash=item4682492787:g:57UAAOSwmcZbaC7K

Got mine off E Bay from wordery £11-98 post free Its an Oakwood Title (Oakwoods now part of Stenlake), buts its on decent paper unlike the Stenlake publications. The ca 1929 aerial photo on page 80 is from a glass negative I acquired and have passed on to the Armstrong Trust.

Ernie

Ernie

Edited by Irishswissernie

another 2 good photos, the top one showing what looks lie a weighbridge office, the second photo is odd as on the right hand track above the barrow crossing what looks like a pit by the shadow on the inside of the left hand rail and there is a large area to the right of the track that looks like a pile of ash

after seeing this and looking back at the photos i can see the pile, such as in this one to the right of the loco and from this angle i didnt notice the weighbridge office as it looks like its part fo the house behind

post-9948-0-97797900-1534783250_thumb.jpg

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 4

I like the latest image of NBR 828 at Eyemouth. There is the same image (cropped) in Steam Days 1999 credited to J Wood a photographer from Coldingham and its also in NBRSG archive

Also visible is the wooden stairway access at the end of the platform. Also Eyemouth is unique in the ex NBR system in not having a run round loop.

For the record Railway Modeller 3/75 has copies of 4mm scale plans of the station building and states the sack store, at time of recording, was ex LNWR Gunpowder wagon.

Also articles in Railway Bylines 8-9/97 and Steam Days 2/99

The ash and the pit may be explained with the fact that Railway Bylines article states the engine was stabled overnight at Eyemouth until 1919. At this time 10 hour shifts were standard and the driver was responsible for washouts and routine maintenance. The fireman (according to the NBR Rule book of the time) was to be at the station at least 2 hours before start time to get up the fire.

A cleaner was employed permanent nights and his job included coaling the locomotive etc.

All of this is sort of logical as first train in AM started from Eyemouth.

Its also says that on switching to 8 hour days the the working arrangements were revised and branch locomotives sent light from Berwick upon Tweed. This further changed in 1924 when Berwick upon Tweed closed.

The same article however says there were locomotive facilities and no pit at Eyemouth and clearly the enlarged images suggests otherwise, you live and learn

Edited by DOCJACOB

i know about the stairs, and it did have a run round loop that was later removed, which we will have back in for our layout so we can round round, ive already got the drawings from the modeller, i'll have to keep an eye out for the bylines

Edited by sir douglas

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Managed today to get a good look at the new book.  Other than the drawing (same one as in the RM?) the most useful stuff are some more photos.  That said, from what you've shown here I am not sure the book would offer anything to assist the model.  (As far as the book is concerned I think that's something of a pity).  It does, however, seem to contain a lot of information about the village and its surrounding area.  Hope that's of use/interest.

Regards,

Alex.

all except the last 2 of the stretcher profile have been drawn, and ive started cutting them

eyemouth_(7).JPG.c31c81575520f428dd5c3a935b743c1a.JPG

the reason for the last 2 not being done is that im not exactly sure about the ramp from the goods yard at rail level to the entrance at platform level, ive got i mostly figured out but i'll leave those 2 for today

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 1

I picked up a copy of the new book at Telford Guildex show yesterday. I thought it was excellent. Lots of new info especially about stock and traffic on the line. Suggests as well that the run round loop could have gone as early as 1906.

Also got all the parts for the pointwork ordered. Back from holidays now so can get to work helping Sam, and continuing to build the stock.

Post 1905 should still give you a set of rolling stock to play with NBR/LNER/BR. As long as you can swap out signs and buildings as the paint changes you should be fine. Not sure how much pre 1905 NBR stock there is out there. If I think about it there isn't that much NBR stock out there regardless of the era. 

The lack of a run round should make things more interesting to operate. 

Marc

were going with 1903-5 ish just before the points came out another decision is that there was a siding about half a mile up at Biglawburn laid in 1908 for the trawler the diesel fuel, we can represent this just the other side of the Toll bridge in front of the fiddleyard, we are both happy with forgetting this gap of a few yars between the points coming out and the siding being laid so we can have the extra running capabilities of having the extra siding, but doing a quick doodle on paint show that there isnt enough room in the fiddle yard after adding it and the next bridge up from the toll as the scenic break

post-9948-0-21057600-1536395360_thumb.png

• Like 2

Backdating the stock should be not a problem. New book confirms that branch loco around 1903. period was Number 828 of what later became the LNER J83 class. This was a Westinghouse fitted loco which later worked in Edinburgh. I have built one of these as number 808 which was a steam braked shunter. There is details of the build on my "Shezs workbench" thread. I don"t want to be hacking her around - she looks too nice as it is - so it looks like another of the Jim  McGeowan kits to build 828! ( Though the picture on the box is of the rebuilt LNER version he supplies the alternative parts in the kit to backdate it )

Other possibilities ate a J82 or a J31 which could be done through a bit of kit bashing!  However not everything was recoeded so I think we could justify anything that Berwick had up to the correct NBR route availability.

The coaches are already in hand if you look at the "NBR six wheel coaches" thread - using the etches drawn for us by Jamie Guest - one etch is going to have to be hacked in half for the four wheel brake!

Correct brake vans are from Dragon models - can be built as the early variant - they also have various wagons for the NBR some of which are early enough. The Parkside three plank and Jubillee wagons are also fine. 

One thing the book confirms is that hardly any of the stock changed up to the mid 1920s when they acquired two Gresley coaches. In August 1924 the Tweedmouth shed took over running the line. There is a photo on Page 84 of McLeans NBR album which shows an Eyemouth branch mixed train with three coaches and two covered fish Wagons.  Despite the motive power being ex NER  J21 number 152 ( she is on the to build list!)  the train is pretty much the same stock as in the photos from the early period. NER loco - NBR train. 

Same with infrastructure - photos of the 1950s show the same gas lamps and the same station nameboard.  

One interesting aspect revealed by the info on the working timetables in the new book  is that all but two of the trains per day were mixed. Its therefore more of a shunting layout than a conventional branch terminus. Trains don't just arrive and leave - everything has to be split and reformed - so there can be pretty much continuous movement even with only one engine in steam. I am working out a sequence based on the timetable. 

There is a surprising amount of NBR stuff out there - so all get looking at those great little branch terminus possibilities around Edinburgh and the Lothians!  ( Polton, Penicuick, Haddington, Mussulburgh, Gullane, to name but some, or North Berwick or Corstorphine if you fancy something more ambitious)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Managed today to get a good look at the new book.  Other than the drawing (same one as in the RM?) the most useful stuff are some more photos.  That said, from what you've shown here I am not sure the book would offer anything to assist the model.  (As far as the book is concerned I think that's something of a pity).  It does, however, seem to contain a lot of information about the village and its surrounding area.  Hope that's of use/interest.

Mine arrived today. Wordery have sold out, so paid full price.

Which is disappointing, as at the reduced price, it’s ok. At full price, it is “Eyemouth and its Railway”.

It also perpetuates an error in a photo caption: that’s not a J21 on the viaduct at the head of NBR coaches, but a Drummond 0-6-0 of the North British - look at the cab sides, and it is obvious. I suspect Class D (J34).

Useful info on traffic, though.

Ernie has uploaded 2 more very interesting photos of Eyemouth

the first one is useful as otherwise i wouldnt have known that have after a dozen yards past the building, the platform and retaining wall were timber and there is a bench set into the wall

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/43327202714/in/feed

If you look at the bottom LH corner, you can see that the crossing vee has lots of chairs supporting it, an arrangement found on interlaced sleepers, but not point timbers, so the sidings at least had interlaced sleepering at the date of the photo.

Last week saw the start of cutting timber and screwing them to the board stretchers ready to assemble the first board, after this photo, the track bed was cut out and screwed down

eyemouth_(8).JPG.0a6a5d1a9451fd4b69bb88b687478c1c.JPG

i got Shez to print out the templot plan for me since i dont have a printer and this morning all the pages are now glued together

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Last Wednesday the middle angle brace was screwed in and today the other two as well, after that the track bed was screwed back on after being removed to do the bracing

the board shown here stood on its end to test how strong it is against being bent and skewed which it doesnt at all and how much wobble it has which is minimal

eyemouth_(10).JPG.f62a7ddc5a9683aa6eaf67ea052903f3.JPG

shown here with the track bed back on

eyemouth_(9).JPG.5455a7f3fbc05c61d6807a4fd0a9e8d3.JPG

the first stretcher of the next board (E) has been planed to so that the edges meet up for the track bed, road and river. E was clamped to the end of this first board to drill pilot holes for the pattern makers dowels amd from this the second board can be started

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a Connisseur kit for a J83 ( Class D NBR) at Keighley on Sunday. Will build into No 828 shown on the black and white photo posted by Sam on 20th August - so we will be able to have the option of backdating stock to the early 1900s.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

most of the second board now together,had a morning session yesterday with the help of mark, got the rest of the joining blocks on the frame stretchers before fitting to the back piece. and then last night the front piece was fitted after cutting the profile out

taken at the end of the daytime session

post-9948-0-14589700-1547314978_thumb.jpg

• Like 3