My Gresley A3 The White Knight

DonnyRailMan

Gresley A3 The White Knight is the newest addition to the Severn Crescent Railway.

The White Knight becomes the 7th A1/A3 collection on the S.C.R. . Once running in trails

are over The White Knight will be running regally with the rest of the Gresley

4-6-2 family.

post-20318-0-00222800-1518621167_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

After my last post (above) this happened the next day whilst running see photo`s below.

I thought O,M,G, as I crindged the seeing the damage that had been done.

I Phoned them to tell them they said send it back to them so they can send it off

for repair .

Off it went to Holder Collectables and back it came as good as new.

Thank you for a great service given from Holder Collectables.

http://www.holdercollectables.co.uk/

Edited by DonnyRailMan

Just a small point but any A3s running after about 1953-4 had only the smaller set of front guard irons on the front bogie and no axlebox protector plates. This can be remedied very easily by undoing the screw above the guard-iron plate and removing it. I have also cut about 3mm off the front of the bogie casting to just ahead of the small remaining guard-irons, smoothed and painted the front of the bogie which then gives a more prototypical appearance. https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/302726406194752799/

Edited by sirwilliamfrs

Just a small point but any A3s running after about 1953-4 had only the smaller set of front guard irons on the front bogie and no axlebox protector plates. This can be remedied very easily by undoing the screw above the guard-iron plate and removing it. I have also cut about 3mm off the front of the bogie casting to just ahead of the small remaining guard-irons, smoothed and painted the front of the bogie which then gives a more prototypical appearance. https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/302726406194752799/

Thank you sirwilliamfrs for the information about that will get round to doing that at some stage.

With regard to the problem shown in the 3 pictures in post #11 I would like to say that I too have had that problem before.

My answer to remedy the problem was to bend the rod outwards using long nose pliers so that it clears the leading wheel nut on both sides.

The bend needs to be as close as possible to the slide bars without interference to either part.

I have done this on my Gresley locos and an LMS 8F chassis ( I know that chassis is not correct but I'm not fussed ) that I used to create a P1 type loco.

Anyway back to the problem, I have to say that since I did the bends on the cylinder rod on the locos that needed it done that I have not had any further incidents of rods bent by wheel nuts

Thank you mersy.

• 2 weeks later...

With regard to the problem shown in the 3 pictures in post #11 I would like to say that I too have had that problem before.

My answer to remedy the problem was to bend the rod outwards using long nose pliers so that it clears the leading wheel nut on both sides.

The bend needs to be as close as possible to the slide bars without interference to either part.

I have done this on my Gresley locos and an LMS 8F chassis ( I know that chassis is not correct but I'm not fussed ) that I used to create a P1 type loco.

Anyway back to the problem, I have to say that since I did the bends on the cylinder rod on the locos that needed it done that I have not had any further incidents of rods bent by wheel nuts 

Common problem on Hornby locos due to too much side play on the leading drivers to allow for trainset curves.

Black plasticard down behind the wheels glued to the frames limits the sideplay and should stop this happening.

Simple and obviously cheap fix of course it means it will  not got round curves more suitable to a dockyard but then the real thing would be having problems there too.

Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another way I found that can cause the problem like in post #11 is when running the loco upside down to clean the wherls while turning them under power.

Sometimes the piston rod actually comes out of the cylinder and jams against the moulding thus bending it and the rod shown in the pictures.

Maybe Hornby should start making them with longer piston rods so that they can never come out of the cylinder when running them upside down.

If they make the piston too long it will force out the end of the cylinder (or more likely bend itself inside).