Shrewsbury PO Wagons ?

Penlan

Having logged onto the main PC I can post what photos I have,

The first is of a Lilleshall wagon probaly before the First War.

the 4th photo is taken post 1923 of a Lilleshall wagon and I would love to know what the wording is on the wagon.

attachicon.gifW 123. Lilleshal company wagon and LMS Loco coal wagon. (2).jpg

David

Does this help ;)

IMAG1163_zpsduhkrbtd.jpg

• Like 1

Which demonstrates there must be a better photograph of a wagon with this wording in a reasonably accessible collection...

Actually it was many hours using various photographic enhancement applications using that and another picture of one of these wagons that was equally blurred. Unfortunately i screwed up the word spacing when I did the artwork. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I had forgotten this thread. A trawl through the five books on the Bishop's Castle Railway shows the following PO wagons

West Cannock

Highley Mining Co

Amalgamated Anthracite

Arscott

Boston

Black Park

And local coal merchants

w Stanley Gwilt - who apparently took over most of the others

B Bowen & Son - including dumb buffered examples

S E & ? Ridley

Gough & Beddoes

I have asked Keith Turton about the local coal merchants but he has no information. Highley, West Cannock, Black Park and AA are all in he various books but nothing about Arscott - though see above.

Jonathan

PS I forgot that there is a photo in one of the books of Craven Arms yard with a Crynant Colliery wagon in the background.

Edited by corneliuslundie
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I had forgotten that one as i was only really noting wagons on the BCR, and the Crynant one range a bell when it was mentioned.

Pentremawr was an anthracite colliery, in the Gwendraeth valley, so might well have come up the Central Wales line.

A magnificent source of information on the South Wales collieries is the new book - plus 1500 page CD - on south wales collieries by Tony Cooke, he of the map books.

http://lightmoor.co.uk/results.php?q=gazetteer&searching=yes&submit.x=43&submit.y=13

A real labour of love.

Pentremawr has entries in Hudson v1 and Turton v4. Three of the Turton photos are of Gloucester wagons judging by the HMRS photo references I have against them.

And the pit was working in your period, Penlan.

Jonathan

• RMweb Premium

Crynant had sidings on the east side of the N&B's main line north of Crynant statiion, according to Cooke, and was also an anthracite colliery. It also operated from an early date, though for the last five years until the end of the twenties it was mining a steam coal seam instead. Not sure what route the wagon would have taken, possibly Brecon, Mid Wales railway, transfer at Builth and then the Central Wales but that seems a bit tortuous. Possibly Llanelly and the Central Wales line but also possibly Neath, Pontypool Road and the borders line.

Jonathan

• RMweb Premium

Is there a date for this photo? The two Crynant wagons in Montague's Gloucester book, built 1901 and 1903, wear a grey livery with white lettering shaded black. The one in the photo would appear to be black, with much the same lettering, though the italic word under the lower Crynant is different. What they also have in common is the rather snazzy differently-coloured fourth plank up, red on the Gloucester wagons. If it's red on this black wagon, why can we see it? 

The Gloucester wagons are 7-plank, this one looks to be 6-plank: 3 below the coloured plank, two above. 

• RMweb Premium

The Crynant wagon looks black to me. Turton shows three wagons. The two built in 1903 and 1905 are grey, that built earlier in 1892 is black and a six plank. All have the coloured stripe. The photos is dated as 1910 in the book, one of the few to have a date. the first order was actually the first with Gloucester and was for ten wagons plus ten on hire. i think the wagon we see in the photo is probably one of the first batch. thoughts?

This would also tie in with the Pentremawr wagon which may well be one of the 1905, 1908 or 1910 batches from Gloucester, illustrated in Turton vol 4.

Jonathan

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Northroader said:

The most direct route for mileage rate would probably be N&B to Brecon, MR to Hereford, and up from there?

We can be confident that the Midland's goods agent in Swansea (Mr J.R. Benner in 1903) will have been making this point most persuasively.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 20/02/2019 at 19:21, corneliuslundie said:

The Crynant wagon looks black to me. Turton shows three wagons. The two built in 1903 and 1905 are grey, that built earlier in 1892 is black and a six plank. All have the coloured stripe. The photos is dated as 1910 in the book, one of the few to have a date. the first order was actually the first with Gloucester and was for ten wagons plus ten on hire. i think the wagon we see in the photo is probably one of the first batch. thoughts?

This would also tie in with the Pentremawr wagon which may well be one of the 1905, 1908 or 1910 batches from Gloucester, illustrated in Turton vol 4.

Having just succumbed and taken delivery of Turton Vol. 4, I concur, The 6-plank Crynant wagon looks Gloucesterish though we seem to be seeing the non-brake side so lack the confirmation of the distinctive V-hanger. The original inscription on the bottom left plank, two lines: Neath & Brecon / Railway has been replaced by a long script word under Crynant and a single line on the bottom plank. On the other hand, does the fuzziness of the lettering hint at the indian red shading stated to have been a feature of the Charles Roberts wagons?

The sheeted 1-plank wagon to the left of the Crynant wagon is, I think, a LNWR D1. The primitive single wooden brake block and long liver is the tell-tale. Looking at the sheet, I;ll tease Penlan by saying I think I can just see a hint of a diagonal stripe - but it might only be a highlight.

Coast Line Models have now completed there new transfer sheets which not only include the 3 different Lilleshall Co wagons, but two others which are Hanwood Colliery (located between Shrewsbury and Welshpool adjacent to the junction for Minsterley) and Breideden Hill Granite Quarries located at Criggion. I would assume that these wagons would be seen all around the Welsh borders.

The Lilleshall Co wagons which I have commissioned are as follows:

Lilleshall Limestone for a 15’ 5 plank.

Lilleshall, Shropshire, for both a 15’ 5 plank and for a RCH 1907 end door.

Lilleshall Co with additional wording of Glzed bricks, coal, pig iron and steel sections. Both for 15’ 5 plank open and RCH 1907 7 plank end door wagon.

The Lilleshall Co wagons would be seen in Wales as they supplied coal merchants as well as coal for the Cambrian Railways locos. They also supplied loco coal to the North Staffs, GWR (presumably to sheds such as Whrexham) and LNWR. They had a fleet of over 300 main line wagons, and wagons were seen in S Wales.

David

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully a few more 'Potrans7' will appear on Ebay, soon.... :)
I had the last one......
Because I'm not into Hornby RTR, the 'Potrans8' transfer says it's for a Hornby 6 plank. 

What length is that wagon, please.

Edited by Penlan

• 1 year later...
On 22/03/2019 at 21:22, Penlan said:

Hopefully a few more 'Potrans7' will appear on Ebay, soon.... :)
I had the last one......
Because I'm not into Hornby RTR, the 'Potrans8' transfer says it's for a Hornby 6 plank. 

What length is that wagon, please.

Sorry I'm late to the party ... it's a 15' wagon, as long as you get the new ones with the decent underframe as the transfers were designed for, I wouldn't touch the old 17'6" stuff with a very long and soiled stick. 

If there is continued interest I can rummage through the stock I held back for my own models and see what I have left, I'm moving to 7mm scale now so the 4mm versions aren't going to be much use to me. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...