Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

Does it say which one?  It has to be either St Enoch or Queen Street.   The former was modelled on St Pancras, being the northern terminus of the MR/GSWR Anglo Scottish route, but it looks more like the latter from what I can see.   Central has ridge and furrow roofing (recently re-glazed, but still largely original, as is much of the station) and Buchanan St was a collection of 'temporary' wooden buildings with platform awnings right to the end.

 

Jim

Unfortunately no Jim.  Creators of assets for Trainz tend to be very economical with their descriptions of what they have made which can be very annoying sometimes.  It does look a lot like Queen Street from the picture you linked to though.  My main reason for using that particular over roof model was that it fitted the trackplan better than anything else I had.

 

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

 

Looking good, Annie

Thanks very much James.  I will have some more pictures soon as I only have track laying at 'Crewe' to do now after I finish tidying up 'Liverpool'.  It was difficult to make 'Liverpool' look anything except a country terminus in the space available.  At this stage of things I didn't want to go outside the boundaries of the original trackplan with extensions and additions.

The gradients make things awkward with 'Crewe' and 'Liverpool' both being partly built on gradients.  I think 'Euston' is supposed to be a bit lower than I modelled it with a gradient climbing up to the tunnel, but I cheated and built it all on the level.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like Queen Street, 2010 version, kuid2:69518:28201:7.

While I was looking for this item, I found a layout named 'Glasgow to Anniesland' & another one 'Anniesland Line' on DLS. :D   Downloading... will check them out later...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jake The Rat said:

It looks like Queen Street, 2010 version, kuid2:69518:28201:7.

While I was looking for this item, I found a layout named 'Glasgow to Anniesland' & another one 'Anniesland Line' on DLS. :D   Downloading... will check them out later...

Not my land Jake.  From memory they are post- dismal  diesel era and are all horribly modern.  One of them at least had got the Cowlairs incline all wrong as well.

To make a proper North British Railway job of it would involve deleting just about everything and starting again.

 

Not wanting to rain on your parade or anything.  :haha:

  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Still WIP in places, but it's getting there.  I was a bit naughty and kept on pushing on with it when I should have stopped which means I'm going to crash out sometime soon and sleep for ages.

 

I2PVm0r.jpg

 

T3rf99Z.jpg

 

72qg2Gb.jpg

 

TQwNfTW.jpg

 

ss1DLay.jpg

 

fcnz5iW.jpg

 

0g6Afak.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh that's lovely, Annie, and with station facilities more appropriate to the size and track plans than the designated names from the plan you have something uncluttered and more convincing.

 

What fun this would be in OO!

 

Beautifully done 

  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Oh that's lovely, Annie, and with station facilities more appropriate to the size and track plans than the designated names from the plan you have something uncluttered and more convincing.

 

What fun this would be in OO!

 

Beautifully done 

Thank you very much James.  It seemed sensible to me to keep 'Euston' as a large and important station, but if I'd done the same with the other two stations I would have made the layout look smaller than it is and far too cluttered. This way the layout looks far more open and has room to breathe if you take my meaning,  There's still quite a few finishing details to be done yet, but essentially everything is in its place and needs no further adjustment.

The LNWR 5ft 6in tank engines are exactly the right engine to operate the layout.  Despite making the layout wider than it is on the trackplan there are still quite a few flange squealer curves.  The only way to have got rid of those would have been to make the layout as big as the room that it is in and I think doing that would have taken away its appeal as a vintage complete system layout.

 

I'm not sure about station names as yet.  I'm considering 'Misnomer', 'Malaprop' and 'Dogberry', but that just might be my hazy brain being silly because I haven't woken up properly yet.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

How about Somewhere, Anywhere and Nowhere? :diablo_mini::jester:

 

Jim

Having already built a layout named the 'Sumwheir District Railway' Jim I would be a little reluctant to follow that theme.  On my huge rambling Norfolk layout there is a signpost on a certain road that points to a destination named  'Misnomer', - so I thought it might be time to set off in that direction.

 

However having been reading James's explorations in late 19th century Norwich and discovering there was a street named 'Unthank Road' my imagination has got loose and is running off in an altogether different direction.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome.:sungum: Looking at this beautiful layout & in comparison at what I have achieved so far, makes me want to run away & hide under the sofa. :blush::D  But no, I will carry on.

 

First I had to learn how to use Basemapz. It's a very self-explanatory & user-friendly software, so that didn't take long. Next I had to find out how to handle the many layers created by Basemapz. I had never used layers before.

So even if the project turns out to be a total failure, at least I have learned a few useful things.

 

I'm not trying to imitate your work, that would be megalomania. My approach is megalomaniac in another way: bigger (2 baseboards), better (err...no, definitely not better, only different), faster (Claughtons, & maybe pacifics & Royal Scots in a later LMS version), more  (8 or 10 coaches long express trains, 4 platforms instead of 3 at Euston & Liverpool, & a large roundhouse at Euston).

 

The next thing I will have to find out is if I can make an automated loco change at the termini work. If not, the whole project is pointless. Long chains of orders involving trigger operations will be necessary. Theoretically, it must be possible, practically I have never done it. We'll see...

 

Edited by Jake The Rat
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jake The Rat said:

First I had to learn how to use Basemapz. It's a very self-explanatory & user-friendly software, so that didn't take long. Next I had to find out how to handle the many layers created by Basemapz. I had never used layers before.

So even if the project turns out to be a total failure, at least I have learned a few useful things.

 

I struggled at first with all those different layers Jake.  With my foggy brain I have to be very disciplined about checking which layer I have switched on before I do anything and be equally disciplined about switching a layer off once I've completed that particular task.  Basemaps in a brilliant tool though since it makes it very easy to take a trackplan and drop it into Trainz to see what it looks like.

 

9 minutes ago, Jake The Rat said:

Awesome.:sungum: Looking at this beautiful layout & in comparison at what I have achieved so far, makes me want to run away & hide under the sofa. :blush::D  But no, I will carry on.

 

I would be very disappointed if you did give up.  Most of my attempts at layouts back when I first started off in TS2009 were awful, but that said they were all steps along the way and enabled me to learn how to use the surveyor tools properly to achieve a better result.

I can assure you that there are highly skilled layout builders on the Trainz forum that make me feel utterly inadequate as a layout builder, but rather than giving up and collecting souvenir teaspoons instead I give myself a good talking to and try to do better next time.

 

19 minutes ago, Jake The Rat said:

I'm not trying to imitate your work, that would be megalomania. My approach is megalomaniac in another way: bigger (2 baseboards), better (err...no, definitely not better, only different), faster (Claughtons, & maybe pacifics & Royal Scots in a later LMS version), more  (8 or 10 coaches long express trains, 4 platforms instead of 3 at Euston & Liverpool, & a large roundhouse at Euston).

Being a tinplate clockwork 'O' gauge enthusiast I didn't want to stray too far away from the layout's original design, but I can see how the layout could be expanded to increase distance between stations and ease the fairly steep gradients, - not to mention the tight radius curves of the original.

I'll be very interested to see what you are able to come up with Jake.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Annie said:

However having been reading James's explorations in late 19th century Norwich and discovering there was a street named 'Unthank Road' my imagination has got loose and is running off in an altogether different direction.

There's also a village called 'No Place' near Beamish in County Durham.

 

image.png.ec6981a56c42f346d00ba53cf19581bd.png

 

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

There's also a village called 'No Place' near Beamish in County Durham.

 

image.png.ec6981a56c42f346d00ba53cf19581bd.png

 

Jim

 

 IIRC, a Two Ronnies sketch once featured a road sign that said "Mileaway 1/2m", i.e. half a mile away. 

 

In Co. Durham, we also have ....

 

 70756072_PityMe.jpeg.a21b29e9f7e9631ef2c5fb64c0f3accc.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I decided I would go with 'Misnomer', 'Malaprop' and 'Dogberry' for station names with 'Misnomer' being the large posh station with the grand over roof.

 

I'm at the detailing stage with the layout which is a task that takes a lot of time to do, but one that I enjoy doing despite it being a fiddly job at times.

 

The station building at Malaprop is a very old Trainz model based on West Ewell.  I've deliberately used buildings from the early days of the trainz simulator because they seem to be a good match for tinplate buildings from the 1920s.

 

X3khYK7.jpg

 

The station buildings at Dogberry are also from the early days of Trainz.  These ones are in their LNER guise, but they were also available as GWR station buildings.

 

EO0BkoI.jpg

 

5nIefkd.jpg

 

WEcPKum.jpg

 

The station at 'Misnomer' is possibly a bit too grand for the size of the layout.  I have wondered about extending the line at platform 3 (next to the parcels bay) out through the end wall of the station and onwards to a fiddle yard.

 

UNu55gi.jpg

 

sz5QFtA.jpg

 

YzuxaN2.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NeilHB said:

Lovely London & North Western stock Annie. 

Thanks,  The coaches are the work of a very clever gentleman named Ken Green who has made quite a lot of pre-grouping coaches for Trainz.  The 5ft 6in tank engines are particularly nice as well.

I don't get my LNWR models out of my digital trainset box all that often, but after running these around on the layout while testing things I'm starting to think I should mend my ways and give them a run more often than i do.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Annie said:

Well I decided I would go with 'Misnomer', 'Malaprop' and 'Dogberry' for station names with 'Misnomer' being the large posh station with the grand over roof.

 

I'm at the detailing stage with the layout which is a task that takes a lot of time to do, but one that I enjoy doing despite it being a fiddly job at times.

 

The station building at Malaprop is a very old Trainz model based on West Ewell.  I've deliberately used buildings from the early days of the trainz simulator because they seem to be a good match for tinplate buildings from the 1920s.

 

X3khYK7.jpg

 

The station buildings at Dogberry are also from the early days of Trainz.  These ones are in their LNER guise, but they were also available as GWR station buildings.

 

EO0BkoI.jpg

 

5nIefkd.jpg

 

WEcPKum.jpg

 

The station at 'Misnomer' is possibly a bit too grand for the size of the layout.  I have wondered about extending the line at platform 3 (next to the parcels bay) out through the end wall of the station and onwards to a fiddle yard.  Edit:  Perhaps I could call it the 'Eggcorn' branch.

 

UNu55gi.jpg

 

sz5QFtA.jpg

 

YzuxaN2.jpg

The station at 'Misnomer' is possibly a bit too grand for the size of the layout.  I have wondered about extending the line at platform 3 (next to the parcels bay) out through the end wall of the station and onwards to a fiddle yard.  Edit:  Perhaps I could call it the 'Eggcorn' branch.

Edited by Annie
Advanced stupidity
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

In Co. Durham, we also have ....

 

 70756072_PityMe.jpeg.a21b29e9f7e9631ef2c5fb64c0f3accc.jpeg

Especially if you live here in Perthshire

 

image.png.5c4282e23f7633635758f49e0520e037.png

Also paired with Bland in NSW Australia.

1 hour ago, Skinnylinny said:

Quite the opposite of the location on the A83, called Rest and be Thankful!

No-one is thankful when the road's closed by a landslide after rain, which it has been on regular occasions recently.  The diversion is around 50 miles long!

 

Jim

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

New Zealand has it's own amusing place names, when pronounced in phonetic English:

 

1349147741_TePukeNZ.JPG.fa6c92e272f92835d0b5e523f3aef8b2.JPG

 

In the interests of international harmony, I should point out that the town's name means The Hill, and should be pronounced "teh-pook-ee".

 

Mike

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Especially if you live here in Perthshire

 

image.png.5c4282e23f7633635758f49e0520e037.png

Also paired with Bland in NSW Australia.

 

 

On the other end of Loch tay there is a town named Killin, which for some time had a railway connected to the Caledonian.

I have been thinking about a layout around the lake named 'Killin & Dull Railway', Caley or LMS - a railway so dull it's killing you. :D But with the beautiful landscape it wouldn't be so dull after all. I always wanted to do something Scottish... maybe someday...

 

Slowly my 'Euston to Liverpool' project is making progress. The tracks & stations are now approximately where I want them to be, but there is no scenery, no textures, no nothing. :pardon:

I will keep the names of the termini, but I'm thinking about renaming the through station from 'Crewe' to 'Birmingham'. I don't like, that the city of the Beatles is included & the city of Black Sabbath isn't. :diablo_mini:

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AdamsRadial said:

Well as we're onto place names I'd better add Loughborough, pronounced "Loogah-Baroogah" by a friend from Sydney

 

Which is to confer upon the place a degree of glamour and fascination that it does not deserve.

 

I hope I will be forgiven for repeating a like that I once heard on the radio:

 

"My home town was so dull that it couldn't even find anywhere to twin with.  It had to make do with a suicide pact with Loughborough"

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, AdamsRadial said:

Well as we're onto place names I'd better add Loughborough, pronounced "Loogah-Baroo" by a friend from Sydney

 

16 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

 

Which is to confer upon the place a degree of glamour and fascination that it does not deserve.

 

I hope I will be forgiven for repeating a like that I once heard on the radio:

 

"My home town was so dull that it couldn't even find anywhere to twin with.  It had to make do with a suicide pact with Loughborough"

 

In the 1980s my summer job during the university vacation was at UCCA - the universities' clearing house. Each university had a four or five letter abbreviation. Loughborough's was LBRO - which we altered to 'Lowbrow'. One day a document slipped through the net and was sent to the academic registrar with the description 'Lowbrow'. Fortunately, he took it in good part, replying, 'We may be, but there's no need to rub it in.'

  • Funny 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AdamsRadial said:

Well as we're onto place names I'd better add Loughborough, pronounced "Loogah-Baroo" by a friend from Sydney

There's an area of Sydney called Wooloomooroo.  Where else in the world is there a name with the same pair of vowels repeated four times?

 

Jim  (graduate of GLGW?)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.