Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Several of the passengers in the TO look as if they're wearing Cossack hats. Maybe it's just a rather strange hairstyle.

A no 'Cossacks' snap of the TO interior.

ej6mLHd.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It hasn't all been steep gradients and banking engines.  A project I've been working on in the background has been to build 'Minories' in 3 rail 0 gauge using the TMR model railways format.

Some snaps I took while making sure that everything was working properly.

f18L8iO.jpg

P5X6FFP.jpg

yH4ZJ2F.jpg

llop9Xa.jpg

Tdz1g70.jpg

5RCqNVq.jpg

MLZo2Ux.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

On 05/10/2020 at 17:46, Jake The Rat said:

I remember playing a real-time strategy game named Cossacks.

spacer.png

But there were no railways...  :scratch_one-s_head_mini::biggrin_mini2:

Reminds me of that bit in Jingo by Terry Pratchett where (I think) Fred and Nobby are discussing battlefield tactics and one talks about how his old general would form the troops up into blocks, and then arrows to attack.  "He liked to do things by the book....

4 hours ago, Annie said:

It hasn't all been steep gradients and banking engines.  A project I've been working on in the background has been to build 'Minories' in 3 rail 0 gauge using the TMR model railways format.

Some snaps I took while making sure that everything was working properly.

Nice!

My OO gauge one has stalled at the moment.  :(

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Minories looks superb, especially the views under the overall roof. I've started putting some of C J Freezer's plans into TS2009 in the past just to try and see what they would actually look like, but trying to cramp standard gauge track to scaled up baseboard areas just doesn't work, really what is needed is some sectional track.

What is the blue tank engine?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, AdamsRadial said:

Minories looks superb, especially the views under the overall roof. I've started putting some of C J Freezer's plans into TS2009 in the past just to try and see what they would actually look like, but trying to cramp standard gauge track to scaled up baseboard areas just doesn't work, really what is needed is some sectional track.

What is the blue tank engine?

I've put a couple of classic old layouts into the TMR format, but all of them needed a certain amount of adjustment to get the track alignments to work in Trainz.  'Minories' has more than a few tight flange squealer curves which means that short coaches and short tank engines are absolutely essential or else everything gets very untidy very quickly.  Finding track that is properly flexible and doesn't kink helps a lot as well.

The blue tank engine?  That is a 'kitbash' made from all kinds of bits that weren't really supposed to fit together.

I have three of them and they belong to the Affiliated (Imaginary) Railway Companies on my alternative history Norfolk layout.  They are good at running local suburban trains and are quite quick wee engines provided they aren't overloaded.  I like single driver tank engines and as a breed they only had a brief time in the sun until train weights increased beyond their capacity to manage them.  All three have had much fettling and run very well.

o6h0LjM.jpg

Edited by Annie
can't spell for toffee
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Hroth said:

Reminds me of that bit in Jingo by Terry Pratchett where (I think) Fred and Nobby are discussing battlefield tactics and one talks about how his old general would form the troops up into blocks, and then arrows to attack.  "He liked to do things by the book....

Terry Pratchett! :good::sungum: I have read many of his 'Diskworld' novels (some in German, some in English, some in both), but 'Jingo' wasn't among them, if my memory doesn't fail me (which it often does :pardon: ). Something to make up for...

Meanwhile, my virtual tabletop model railway is making progress. I have finally decided on a real name (instead of 'Plan 18a'): Exley Castlecapture_20201007_183732_016.jpg.d1f8598075891614b50553f2beb82ac7.jpg

... after the former model railway manufacturer.

The 2 stations are named Exley

capture_20201007_171625_008.jpg.5101f77946a1869e2a00aa6bc728021b.jpg

... & Hornby

capture_20201007_170920_007.jpg.86628aee84174d755a301299af792f61.jpg

(which actually exists, near Lancaster; Exley apparently doesn't).

As I said before, without this thread the idea of modelling a model railway instead of :pleasantry: the real thing would have never come to my mind. Hence I would like to dedicate some locos, drivers & other items on this layout to the contributors of this thread; starting, of course, with Annie, who runs a tea shop at Exleycapture_20201007_190449_018.jpg.f3102c612edc52705415ec7a77811588.jpg

... but of course she could also drive a loco; just choose one...;)

Stephen's Compound is currently waiting at the fiddle yard.capture_20201007_172706_012.jpg.2c021ede58b7f0f4c37ba275d6cf31df.jpg

The Adams Radial at Hornby station.

capture_20201007_183529_013.jpg.5883d5028524c5e9954e3d7fa0115a26.jpg

The most rat-like loco I could find is this very weathered J39, & now the name of the driver is Jake.

capture_20201007_171741_009.jpg.59a3959e955e4ae9d5971cb3f127f3be.jpg

The train it's hauling conveys, among other goods, fish, cidre, cookies & chocolate. :nyam:

Sem's avatar is some 4-4-0 loco I cannot identify, & Hroth's one looks like mid-19th century & is far too ancient for a BR layout; same goes for rocor.

For Schooner I will have to expand the river at the western rim (which now is only part of the backdrop) to run the 'driveable steam schooner' up & down.

Any more volunteers...? :)

If anyone of you doesn't like it, just tell me, I'll remove your name. The whole thing is just a funny idea, not something I insist on.

Edited by Jake The Rat
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Scotsman and Glasgow Herald still warm from the press?

Indeed, straight off the overnight train!

Back in the early 1960's my parents and I used to go on Holiday to Gairloch, in Wester Ross.  The daily papers arrived around 4:00pm.  They were the first editions, printed c10:00pm in Glasgow, put on the overnight train to Inverness, then on the morning train to Kyle, offloaded at Achnasheen. When you got them then depended on how long the postman spent in each hotel in between there and Gairloch.

Jim

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Jake The Rat said:

The whole thing is just a funny idea, not something I insist on.

It's fine by me, I've got a memory of some layout in an old Railway Modeller that also had stations named after contributors but can't put a name or even year to it right now.

Just so long as you don't start putting faces on the locos, there are limits, you know :)

• Funny 4

The Caledonian had a nice little 2-2-2WT.  Used it to haul the officer's saloon until that job was taken over by 123.

1353275920_1Asaloon2AatConnerburn.JPG.0a163c2e7edf87a78bbf6632f877d3a5.JPG

None of your pansy inside cylinders!  Full Gooch motion with outside eccentrics!

Jim

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

6 hours ago, Jake The Rat said:

Terry Pratchett! :good::sungum: I have read many of his 'Diskworld' novels (some in German, some in English, some in both), but 'Jingo' wasn't among them, if my memory doesn't fail me (which it often does :pardon: ). Something to make up for...

Meanwhile, my virtual tabletop model railway is making progress. I have finally decided on a real name (instead of 'Plan 18a'): Exley Castlecapture_20201007_183732_016.jpg.d1f8598075891614b50553f2beb82ac7.jpg

... after the former model railway manufacturer.

The 2 stations are named Exley

capture_20201007_171625_008.jpg.5101f77946a1869e2a00aa6bc728021b.jpg

... & Hornby

capture_20201007_170920_007.jpg.86628aee84174d755a301299af792f61.jpg

(which actually exists, near Lancaster; Exley apparently doesn't).

As I said before, without this thread the idea of modelling a model railway instead of :pleasantry: the real thing would have never come to my mind. Hence I would like to dedicate some locos, drivers & other items on this layout to the contributors of this thread; starting, of course, with Annie, who runs a tea shop at Exleycapture_20201007_190449_018.jpg.f3102c612edc52705415ec7a77811588.jpg

Stephen's Compound is currently waiting at the fiddle yard.capture_20201007_172706_012.jpg.2c021ede58b7f0f4c37ba275d6cf31df.jpg

capture_20201007_183529_013.jpg.5883d5028524c5e9954e3d7fa0115a26.jpg

The most rat-like loco I could find is this very weathered J39, & now the name of the driver is Jake.

capture_20201007_171741_009.jpg.59a3959e955e4ae9d5971cb3f127f3be.jpg

The train it's hauling conveys, among other goods, fish, cidre, cookies & chocolate. :nyam:

Sem's avatar is some 4-4-0 loco I cannot identify, & Hroth's one looks like mid-19th century & is far too ancient for a BR layout; same goes for rocor.

For Schooner I will have to expand the river at the western rim (which now is only part of the backdrop) to run the 'driveable steam schooner' up & down.

If anyone of you doesn't like it, just tell me, I'll remove your name. The whole thing is just a funny idea, not something I insist on.

If it's any help my avatar is an SECR F1 4-4-0 in SR Livery, so any SECR 4-4-0 would fit the bill. Failing that, put me down for something London Transport. ;)

For Mr @Hroth, his avatar is Liverpool & Manchester 'Lion' which did actually see use on BR Metals in the early 1950s as 'Thunderbolt' for a certain well-known filming job. It's also, I believe, steamed more recently in preservation too.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, AdamsRadial said:

Very impressed. You might want to have a look at one of the locomotives on the Weston Clevedon & Portishead in that case. Sharp 2-2-2WT

A Furness single driver well tank fitted with an Avonside cab.  As horrible as that might sound it does kind of work.

8 hours ago, Jake The Rat said:

starting, of course, with Annie, who runs a tea shop at Exley

Sounds good to me.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, sem34090 said:

For Mr @Hroth, his avatar is Liverpool & Manchester 'Lion' which did actually see use on BR Metals in the early 1950s as 'Thunderbolt' for a certain well-known filming job. It's also, I believe, steamed more recently in preservation too.

Lion has been in "preservation" since the mid-1920s when it was rescued from being a pumping engine for the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board. Renovated at Crewe, its missing tender was replaced by a scrapped Furness Railway tender and then took part in the LMR centenary celebrations in 1930 and the London and Birmingham Railway centenary in 1938.  It was also displayed on the concourse at Liverpool Lime Street until WW2 when it was stored at Crewe.  After the reconstruction of Liverpool Museum (bomb damage in WW2) it was displayed in the Transport Gallery along with coaches used for the 1930 celebrations, as well as appearing in two films.  In 1980 it was again returned to steam by Rustons Diesels and was in the Rocket 150 celebration at Rainhill in 1980.

Lion then spent time at the Manchester museum of science and industry, before being returned to Liverpool for display in the Museum of Liverpool.

A "Historian" is currently writing a book to try and prove that Lion isn't Lion. I gather that its another attempt by the NRM to shift attention to one of their older locomotives as Lion isn't one of theirs...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LMR_57_Lion

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Northroader said:

Or 158A?

158 Sept 1866 - Aug 1896

158A Aug 1896 - Oct 1907

2 Oct 1907 - May 1934

20002 May 1934 - July 1947

158A in preservation.

As built, the inside frames were not full length but were fixed to the front of the firebox, with the drag box fixed to the rear of the firebox. Cylinders were 16½" x 22". Rebuilt with Johnson's C boiler and full-length inside frames, Dec 1881; Rebuilt with B boiler and 18" x 24" cylinders and new motion June 1897. The current B boiler is one built in 1915. Many other minor changes took place along the way, early ones including a change from static to dynamic balancing and the fitting of a Johnson-style cab; 20th century changes include the Deeley smokebox and chimney, later changed to a Stanier chimney.

As built, it had a Kirtley 1,600 gal tender; from the late 1890s and certainly in 1903, a Johnson 2,200 gal tender and by 1897 a Johnson 2,750 gal tender. In preservation, it was given a Kirtley 2,000 gal tender off 700 Class 0-6-0 22834; this tender dates from 1867 so may have originated as a 1,600 gal tender for a member of the 156 Class, subsequently rebuilt with a larger tank. In fact the 2,950 gal tender currently attached to the preserved 4-2-2 118/673 would be a better match for the condition of the engine in preservation, as several engines of the 156 Class had this type in the 20th century and the 115 Class singles always had 3,500 gal tenders until withdrawal. 

So 158A is a lesson in the living history of a locomotive, having features dating from the locomotive superintendencies of Kirtley, Johnson, Deeley, Fowler, Stanier, and, arguably, Ivatt, since it was in his time that the decision to give it the 2,000 gal tender was made!

Refs:

S. Summerson, Midland Railway Locomotives Vol. 2 (Irwell Press, 2007).

D. Hunt, The Kirtley Era 2–4–0s, Part 2, Midland Record No. 33 (Wild Swan Publications, 2011).

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, Jake The Rat said:

As I said before, without this thread the idea of modelling a model railway instead of :pleasantry: the real thing would have never come to my mind. Hence I would like to dedicate some locos, drivers & other items on this layout to the contributors of this thread; starting, of course, with Annie, who runs a tea shop at Exley

Stephen's Compound is currently waiting at the fiddle yard.

It would indeed be difficult to run the locomotive depicted in my avatar on a British Railways layout. The engine shown is “Salamanca”, which was commissioned by John Blenkinsop and designed by Matthew Murray for use on the Middleton to Leeds coal tramway. The complications that first come to mind are that the railway was a rack and pinion system to a track gauge of 4ft 1in. :scratchhead:

Ron

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2